Treadmill?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
When I had to get so many dogs on a mill, in various learning phases, it was best to use some restraints and tons of rewards. Always short and sweet sessions and I attempted to never stop a session while a dog was freaking out. Meaning if they slipped and skidded or lost footing and panicked my goal was always to jackpot rewards and get them back on track before we stopped. I found ending on a freak out was always discouraging for the next session but after they learned how to overcome it a time or two with help they gained so much confidence they didn't need me in the future.

I usually started with a goal of 2 minutes, then 5, then 10, then 15, then 20, then 30. I almost never asked a clients dog to go longer than 30 at a time. It would be 30 then rest and 30 on.

With my dogs I keep a loose rule about the same except with Backup, he's by far a distance running compared to most so we got longer but steadier with him where Sloan gets short with bursting sprints at 6 mph and then back down to 3 for a few minutes before her next bursting sprint. She could do longer, she's off and bouncing around usually, but I haven't found a good medium between two of the preprogramed 30 minutes and one, unless I sit there and change the speed myself but honestly the treadmill is often used to get her out of my hair so I'll toss her on and go do dishes or fold laundry.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I thought I already posted but now I can't find it...

Are the dogpacers fairly robust?

I tried looking up videos for dogs on the carpet mills last night but a lot of them just looked like they were frantically barreling along and sort of out of control so was glad to see the vid posted here...
I can video mine, it's pretty quiet and boring. No louder than a human treadmill and the dogs can trot calmly (like Arnold) or frantically always asking for more-more-more.

For example a clients lab whom I wish I'd videod, that dog was effing nuts. This lab would scream and CHARGE dragging you (until we worked on it and then it lessened) to the mill and leap on bouncing up and down at the end bark screaming so loud you could probably hear her around the block. She would do this until you jumped it up to 7 mph for about 5-10 minutes depending on the day and then she'd chill and you could lower it to 4 mph and she'd run for 30 minutes. After this she was quiet all day but until we tried her on the mill (no training needed, she did this day 1) she barked all day and right through every positive and aversive attempt we'd throw at her.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I meant more, do they hold up well? Any idea what the normal lifespan is?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I meant more, do they hold up well? Any idea what the normal lifespan is?
ohh lol in my early morning brain I read that as robust means loud, right? sigh.

Well, it's a new company so that is the hazard of lifespan analysis. Mine has been holding up without concern (where is that wood to knock on?). It survived Denis moving it up, down, up, and up stairs and his attempt at haphazardly filling a storage unit (trust me, it's dreadful, expensive art pieces do not go below table saws). It's had a lot of use and the two we kept at work plus the 100 or so we sold had very minimal complaints in the three or so months that we started carrying them before I left.

Complaints I have heard are it's always at an incline so the show dobe people who don't want an incline were buying them and putting exercise steps under the rear end to level them out. It didn't effect the way the mill ran at all and one standard step worked perfectly. Also the walls suck and are purely cosmetic for human and dog, one false step and the dog can trip one, step on it and break the tension wire holding the fabric taunt, hence why I only have one. Lastly, it is easy to fold the bed and hide it for apartment dwellers or small houses but the top arm (which I suppose isn't needed unless you need the sides) needs 4 tiny pita screw taken out and put back in if you want it to slide under a bed.

That's it, I'm very content with it for cardio but I would like (in the future) a carpet mill for muscle building.

When you are introducing it and get to the turn it on part, is it better to turn it on low with them on it, or turn it on and then ask them to get on?

I had Riley standing on it no problem so I turned it on lowest setting and held his collar. Of course it freaked him out and he wouldn't take treats anymore so I just had him walk for a few seconds and then turned it off and treated him. He got back on it once it was off so hopefully he is not too traumatized to try it again lol
Was that the very first time you turned it on while he was there? I find it helps some if you can stand/sit them right next to it, turn it on and treat them next to it on just so they know "yes, it does more than you think", before ever turning it on while they are on it. Even still, some dogs freak once it is turned on while they are on it, not all dogs ever get use to it or learn to love it.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
ohh lol in my early morning brain I read that as robust means loud, right? sigh.

Well, it's a new company so that is the hazard of lifespan analysis. Mine has been holding up without concern (where is that wood to knock on?). It survived Denis moving it up, down, up, and up stairs and his attempt at haphazardly filling a storage unit (trust me, it's dreadful, expensive art pieces do not go below table saws). It's had a lot of use and the two we kept at work plus the 100 or so we sold had very minimal complaints in the three or so months that we started carrying them before I left.

Complaints I have heard are it's always at an incline so the show dobe people who don't want an incline were buying them and putting exercise steps under the rear end to level them out. It didn't effect the way the mill ran at all and one standard step worked perfectly. Also the walls suck and are purely cosmetic for human and dog, one false step and the dog can trip one, step on it and break the tension wire holding the fabric taunt, hence why I only have one. Lastly, it is easy to fold the bed and hide it for apartment dwellers or small houses but the top arm (which I suppose isn't needed unless you need the sides) needs 4 tiny pita screw taken out and put back in if you want it to slide under a bed.

That's it, I'm very content with it for cardio but I would like (in the future) a carpet mill for muscle building.
Thanks :) I'm just not sure what would be the better option for us. Too many decisions, too little sleep. And the whole concept of the carpet mill is still foreign to me lol. I'd really just want something for general fitness...basically to keep the dogs fit during the dark and icy winter months to reduce injury risks. During the sunmer we can swim 3-5 days a week and rollerblade, etc. plus have a lot more daylight to do so.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Honestly most dogs do well with a treadmill, it's people seeking stronger dogs (weight pull and bite work come to mind) as opposed to cardio being the priority that pick carpet mills, it seems.

Flyinsbt

4 dogs on a Grand Carpet Mill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlQiCKlFRho

A carpet mill is good exercise, but as Adrianne says, it's more suited to muscle building than to cardio. It's a short, intense workout. The dog is moving the belt. You can vary the resistance, but there is always some, so it's hard work for the dog.

For general conditioning, a powered mill is probably better.

I'm also late jumping in.

I have run my dogs on the human treadmill until a foster chewed through the cord.

I also used to condition a couple of aussies for show for a friend. I stared them out slow and did 10 minutes on either flat or a slight incline and moderate speed (just above walking) Then over time I increased the distance and then speed. I'm a runner myself so I kind of followed the guidelines like I would for increasing my own distance (10% increase per week maximum). They say if you can get the distance the speed will come, so I also used that principle with the dogs.

It got to where I'd do a long run each week (40-60 minutes) at moderate speed, and then all of the short runs were 20-30 minutes at pretty much maximum speed for the dog. This varies, but I always keep them at a trot and gauge how they are running. If they were seeming to have a hard time that day I'd slow it down and allow for a recovery day or two. I figure dogs were meant to cover massive distance as herders, or just pack animals, so I didn't ever feel like I was over working them. Always start with a warm-up and finish with a cool down.

The speeds ranged from 4.0mph to about 8mph depending on the dog, their level of fitness, and our goal for that run. The cool down/warm up was obviously slower, but the actual work out was somewhere around those speeds.

All this talk of treadmills is making me antsy! I emailed a couple people on craigslist and no one responded yet. I want a treadmill!

aren't there no roads and sidewalks and trails where you live? :)
Well, hopefully after tomorrow they will be covered in snow and ice (black ice to you Twin)!

Besides, any opportunity to take my lazy to a new level! "Oh no, this treadmill isn't for me to exercise with! It's so I don't have to exercise to exercise my dog."

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
aren't there no roads and sidewalks and trails where you live? :)
You, my friend, are far more energetic or have more time than I do. I use my mill mostly while I multitask like doing laundry, cleaning, or training another dog. Also, I try to make this clear frequently but I'm naturally lazy. I could never satisfy my dogs (the mals, the pit bulls are content) with a walk alone and some days I really worry about playing fetch in the sloppy rain, Sloan twists and turns so drastically I fear torn ligaments with every catch even when I aim to not bounce the ball.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Surely the more you exercise a dog, the more exercise it will need? Simply speaking?

I'm getting one for me, not the dogs. So I'll be fitter for them not the other way round!!

Surely the more you exercise a dog, the more exercise it will need? Simply speaking?

I'm getting one for me, not the dogs. So I'll be fitter for them not the other way round!!
Well, for me I want my dogs in shape but I can't always work them to the extent I would like to have them in that shape.

And there are days, especially in the winter, that I am not able to get in the exercise they deserve.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I'm just fine with that. That's kind of the idea but from a different perspective...the more appropriate exercise the dog gets, the more s/he's capable of doing with less risk of injury.

I ask a lot of my dogs. It's on me to ensure they are conditioned for those tasks.

Last edited:
You, my friend, are far more energetic or have more time than I do. I use my mill mostly while I multitask like doing laundry, cleaning, or training another dog. Also, I try to make this clear frequently but I'm naturally lazy. I could never satisfy my dogs (the mals, the pit bulls are content) with a walk alone and some days I really worry about playing fetch in the sloppy rain, Sloan twists and turns so drastically I fear torn ligaments with every catch even when I aim to not bounce the ball.
I"m just joking, I've thought about getting one in the past, and still do, but haven't made the plunge. I keep telling myself I have legs and a bike, put on some warm clothes and hit the road.

I realized playing fetch all the time was resulting in too many injuries with my dogs. They're crazy and like you say, twist, turn, stop, start, roll over a few times, flip in the air, land awkwardly, etc every day, things get hurt. But I found that a nice easy trot for a few miles a week coupled with intense play and things are usually just fine. When I depend on intense play, no matter the weather, for a few weeks, injuries pop back up.

Members online