CM gets bitten... again (vid included)

Romy

Taxiderpy
Now all we need is that mainstreme extremist guy to come back.
:rofl1: That guy was so much fun. Sad that all the trolls get worn down and run away so fast. Wasn't he the same guy that wanted to created super duper shepogos to defend him in the event of a zombie apocalypse and fetch wild boars at his bidding?

Danefied

And if a dog of yours fatally mauls one of your children or children in your care then you will eat those words.
I would never put a dog over the safety of my children. They can go to sleep knowing that. I think it's far more powerful then anything that you stated above...
I haven’t read past this.

Wow...

Well, since we’ve lost any sense of propriety, I’ll just go ahead and tell you that frankly, the odds of your kids getting mauled by your dogs are far greater than the odds of that happening to mine. Violence begets violence. Dogs who are treated aggressively sooner or later will respond with aggression. Unless you kill ‘em with the aggression. But then, your kill the dog tactic doesn’t prevent maulings. It just kills the dog after the fact. Kid is still mauled. See, my tactic of training, trust building, and common sense management, actually PREVENTS maulings.

Example 1:
Visiting kid does a cartwheel while resident dog is eating dinner. Visiting kid over-rotates, crashes and falls on top of dog who is eating dinner. Dog and kid hit the ground with a thud. Dog extricates himself out from under the kid with a grunt, turns and licks said kid on the face, returns nonplussed to his dinner. This is from a dog who came to us with cat eating, chicken eating, horse chasing and other fun impulse control issues. He’s also not normal in other ways LOL. I would not expect that kind of reaction from a normal dog.

Example 2:
Son feeds dogs dinner. Halfway through the feeding routine, son realizes he gave the wrong bowls out. Before I could stop him, he grabs the bowl out from under the former guarder’s nose, takes it to the other great dane, then takes the right bowl back to the former guarder. Former food aggressive great dane just stood there all goofy, floppy body, waggy tail. Not upset in the least. I never would have intentionally tested him out like this, but its really nice to know how completely mellow he is about it.

I could go on and on. Nerf wars where dogs get accidentally shot or smacked with a gun or foam sword. They don’t care. Visiting kids shrieking in fear of the huge dogs, pulling tails before I get a chance to tell them we don’t do that in this house, etc., etc., etc.

Our dogs are trustworthy with kids because our dogs view humans as trustworthy and safe. Because when the rare unsupervised moment happens or the rare stepped on tail happens, the dogs view it as the anomaly that it is, they know their signals will be heeded, and that I or DH will step in and help. They don’t bite because they have zero need to escalate to that point, and they lead a life that doesn’t let them get stressed to that level.

Oh, and finally, if you would never put a dog over the safety of your children, you should not have dogs period.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
At least I learned one thing from this thread. If you disagree with someone about the way they care for their dog then they obviously hump their dogs.

At least I learned one thing from this thread. If you disagree with someone about the way they care for their dog then they obviously hump their dogs.
Don't you mean that they dry hump their manbiters while furiously clicking, eating ice cream, and whistling Dixie?

BostonBanker

Our dogs are trustworthy with kids because our dogs view humans as trustworthy and safe. Because when the rare unsupervised moment happens or the rare stepped on tail happens, the dogs view it as the anomaly that it is, they know their signals will be heeded, and that I or DH will step in and help. They don’t bite because they have zero need to escalate to that point, and they lead a life that doesn’t let them get stressed to that level.
:hail:

I read these last few pages on my phone while walking around on my horse. I almost fell out of the saddle laughing a few times.

Can we get some sort of sorbet for those of us who have issues with dairy food to eat while humping our dogs?

Red Chrome

Breaks your heart when the insane ones go away a bit. Then all you're left with is trying to decide if they're real people out there with real crazy thoughts. I assume every thing on the internet that is crazy is just the result of a troll and no one is that awful. Right guys?

Right?

Oh, they're real. :(

Guess I've messed up with all of my dogs through the years . . . No clickers, no ice cream, no country songs (now THAT'S torturing the dog!), definitely no humping. I've literally just talked to mine :rofl1:

Oh, and no, I haven't banned her.

And, like Jess pointed out -- you make an ass of yourself on Chazhound, it STAYS on Chazhound. For the whole internet world to see until the end of the internet.

It may even get dredged up and revisited from time to time ;)

Breaks your heart when the insane ones go away a bit. Then all you're left with is trying to decide if they're real people out there with real crazy thoughts. I assume every thing on the internet that is crazy is just the result of a troll and no one is that awful. Right guys?

Right?
I want to believe.

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and right now going to school for dog training(ABC) and I feel like they are giving me a good foundation but I would love to learn more. I always thought that Ceasar was a good person to listen to, or at least I was told, never fully understood his methods, and now its neat to see why(because of him training in a negative way instead of positive)

But someone said that the dog didn't look calm in the video right before he got bit, I thought he did, having his ears down and body relaxed. How was he nervous and what signaled that?

Barbara!

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and right now going to school for dog training(ABC) and I feel like they are giving me a good foundation but I would love to learn more. I always thought that Ceasar was a good person to listen to, or at least I was told, never fully understood his methods, and now its neat to see why(because of him training in a negative way instead of positive)

But someone said that the dog didn't look calm in the video right before he got bit, I thought he did, having his ears down and body relaxed. How was he nervous and what signaled that?
Check out the Casi Institute as well for online schooling! I plan to get certifications from ABC, the Casi Institute, and become CPDT certified. Good luck!

Danefied

Actually if we’re talking in terms of behavioral science and learning theory, Cesar is pretty positive - he sure loves his positive punishment! :D

Positive = add something (like in math)
Negative = take something away (like in math)
Reinforcement = behavior will happen more often
Punishment = behavior will happen less often
It is always the dog’s response that determines if something is reinforcing or punishing.

Positive and Negative has nothing to do with the *attitude* with which you train. PR trainers call themselves that not because they’re “positive†happy people, but because the bulk of how they teach behaviors is through Positive Reinforcement. With the philosophy that in order to eliminate undesirable behaviors, it is more effective to teach a dog what to do instead, and reward for that, than to teach a dog not to do that undesirable behavior while leaving a behavioral void. (Dog ends up not knowing what to do instead.)

Cesar Millan tends to eliminate behaviors through positive punishment. Which presents it own set of issues. Steve White has a list of rules to consider when going the P+ route, and some good points on where this quadrant falls short.
Personally, I’m not good enough to not screw up using P+ so I try very hard not to use it at all. By the same token, the better you get at using R+, the less you end up needing to punish behaviors. They simply don’t happen because the dog is too busy doing what you asked.

Eleven seconds in, before she even went to eat, she had already blinked at Cesar several times, had turned her head, and briefly puffed her flews, all signaling “I’m very nervousâ€. Her whole body was not “loose†it was tight and unsure.

Ears back or down does not equal relaxed. Nor do attentive, forward ears equal not relaxed. Like all dog signals, you have to take the ears in context. Forward ears with tight lips, closed mouth, means something totally different than forward ears with loose lips, slightly open mouth.

There is a video response floating around the interwebs with the Holly debacle in slow mo with captions - its really helpful. Let me see if I can find it. I tried looking for it in the thread then quickly realized I don’t need to stress myself out reading through the mess it turned in to at the end!

Members online

No members online now.