The "I'm So Proud of My Dog thread"

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I have two things, one of which probably sounds hilarious to everyone but I was pretty impressed! :p

Cali decided to go up about seven stairs today to follow me upstairs. Throughout the last two years, she's gone up every set of stairs except those ones.. probably because they look so high up to her!

And, my sister's friend got a new puppy (who is going to grow to be about the same size as Cali) and Cali managed to behave herself! I knew she would, but I was hoping she'd calm herself down a bit. It ended up being hilarious because the puppy basically just acted like Cali does when she sees another dog and is permitted to go say hi. (ie: kisses, kisses and more kisses)

chaospony

Robyn has hit a pretty impressive milestone. One I never thought would actually happen. She suddenly realizes crowds of strangers are not evil gatherings of dog haters out to get her.
She is not only willing to go into busy places but keeps insisting we walk downtown on our walks!
It's like a switch suddenly flipped in her head and after a year and a half of slow progress, boom!
I never thought I would be able to take her busy places, ever!

Oh and Trin learned how to play in the sandbox this week instead of just eating all the sand. This has taken almost a year! :rotfl1:

Gotta say I'm impressed by Yoshi's shower taking skills too!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia has decided to grow up into a cuddly dog. She was the LAST dog I'd ever have expected to be cuddly but I love it. Every morning I wake up and she's curled up in my arms, under the covers, head on my shoulders. It does make me not want to get out of bed.

During the day she's not cuddly at all, lol.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Mia has decided to grow up into a cuddly dog. She was the LAST dog I'd ever have expected to be cuddly but I love it. Every morning I wake up and she's curled up in my arms, under the covers, head on my shoulders. It does make me not want to get out of bed.

During the day she's not cuddly at all, lol.
I swear Mia and Kimma are the same dog. We had friends over watching a movie last night, and Kimma was VERY well-behaved. We didn't get company in TX ever so this is all a new thing to her (she usually very barky, and jumpy, and just plain psycho). She laid on the floor very nicely/quietly while we watched, and then actually came up and laid on my lap and fell asleep for the last 1/2 of it. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Then this morning she wakes me up by whistle-whining in my face then sitting on my chest. And now she's torturing the others by barking at them then zooming away :rolleyes:

stafinois

Professional Nerd
My husband was careless with the gate when Stan was outside and he got out. Fortunately he just ran to me in the front yard instead of into the street.

Yay for Stan!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I swear Mia and Kimma are the same dog. We had friends over watching a movie last night, and Kimma was VERY well-behaved. We didn't get company in TX ever so this is all a new thing to her (she usually very barky, and jumpy, and just plain psycho). She laid on the floor very nicely/quietly while we watched, and then actually came up and laid on my lap and fell asleep for the last 1/2 of it. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Then this morning she wakes me up by whistle-whining in my face then sitting on my chest. And now she's torturing the others by barking at them then zooming away :rolleyes:
Hahaha! Yeah I fell back asleep then woke up to her whining and sitting next to me then reaching out and whacking me with her foot to get me out of bed. She just wants her food, lol. She's cuddly.... till she's bored.

But yeah, my dogs are both pretty perfect these days. We did some shaping this morning and they both were brilliant. Mia's still not got a calm thinking bone in her body though. But oh so fun. We went for a walk and they walked perfectly on a leash, which I take for granted sometimes. Every dog we passed was lunging and barking. I accidentally dropped their leash right next to a busy road and they just stood there next to me. They're both so bombproof in public. I know a lot of it is the work I've put into them, which I never pat myself on my back for. But they really are good little dogs with good temperaments.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I really love reading these. :) It's fantastic to read a thread where a dog's training hits a crucial point, when they earn another title, etc., but just as great are the small things every day.

This morning I was stupid and left Fable unsupervised in the living room for a few minutes, and she did not jump onto the desk. Yes! :p

Finkie_Mom

Hahaha! Yeah I fell back asleep then woke up to her whining and sitting next to me then reaching out and whacking me with her foot to get me out of bed. She just wants her food, lol. She's cuddly.... till she's bored.

But yeah, my dogs are both pretty perfect these days. We did some shaping this morning and they both were brilliant. Mia's still not got a calm thinking bone in her body though. But oh so fun. We went for a walk and they walked perfectly on a leash, which I take for granted sometimes. Every dog we passed was lunging and barking. I accidentally dropped their leash right next to a busy road and they just stood there next to me. They're both so bombproof in public. I know a lot of it is the work I've put into them, which I never pat myself on my back for. But they really are good little dogs with good temperaments.
Oh yeah, that's Kimma, too. She wanted breakfast. After everyone ate and pottied, we went back to sleep because I'm sick. And she was surprisingly fine for a couple more hours, then it was definitely time for walks LOL.

It's funny because my DH was just telling me the other day how Kimma is finally becoming a "real dog," as in she isn't crazy hyper every minute of every day and actually seems to enjoy the company of others and not just me :p

I took her to the park a few days ago with my friend and her Boxer, and we ran in to people we knew there. Kimma was actually REALLY good, and didn't boredom bark until we had been there for like 10 minutes talking, which has got to be a record or something for her. And yeah, especially considering that she used to be reactive to EVERYONE and EVERYTHING on walks, it's like a miracle.

It's so weird to think of how she used to be and realize that I had a hand in making her in to an overall very well-behaved and trained adult. However, when we are working on tricks and such, anything goes and she still barks and carries on like a psycho. But that's OK because that's her time to get excited and play hahaha.

yoko

We have the showers which are just the levers with the temp control on them so all she has to do to turn it on is push it up.

Gotta say I'm impressed by Yoshi's shower taking skills too!
It's all fun and games until you wake up at 3 one morning to a soaking wet dog who realized that she hadn't cuddled your sleeping body for five minutes.

Finkie_Mom

Mia still hates most people, haha
Hahahahaha well, maybe one day she will like others :p

Kimma still doesn't want people to PET her, but she is excited to see people and will circle them and rub herself on them like a cat if she's "met" them before a few times. She will never be like a therapy dog or anything, but she's now content having people in the same vicinity. Oh wait. Except kids. She LOVES kids and would be happy being pet by them forever. But she has horrible manners still and tends to want to jump on them :eek:

Squash is taking this lure coursing "class" on Saturday mornings (really just... you pay us to be able to play lure coursing once a week). To keep him from grabbing it at the end of a run, I always just step on the lure so it's covered up by my shoe... its' just a bit of ribbon, not the big bags you see in pictures of trials.

He got so overexcited at the end of a run that he just needed to bite SOMETHING and instead of redirecting onto the line or my shoe or anything else that mattered, he bit... the grass. He literally just stood there and tore up a little patch of grass by my shoe.

Then the instructor says, "TAKE THAT, GRASS!" :p

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Squash is taking this lure coursing "class" on Saturday mornings (really just... you pay us to be able to play lure coursing once a week). To keep him from grabbing it at the end of a run, I always just step on the lure so it's covered up by my shoe... its' just a bit of ribbon, not the big bags you see in pictures of trials.

He got so overexcited at the end of a run that he just needed to bite SOMETHING and instead of redirecting onto the line or my shoe or anything else that mattered, he bit... the grass. He literally just stood there and tore up a little patch of grass by my shoe.

Then the instructor says, "TAKE THAT, GRASS!" :p
Hahahaha! That is awesome.

I love these stories. The little things do matter -- and they aren't really little :)

Hahahahaha well, maybe one day she will like others :p

Kimma still doesn't want people to PET her, but she is excited to see people and will circle them and rub herself on them like a cat if she's "met" them before a few times. She will never be like a therapy dog or anything, but she's now content having people in the same vicinity. Oh wait. Except kids. She LOVES kids and would be happy being pet by them forever. But she has horrible manners still and tends to want to jump on them :eek:
Took my three to the rabies vaccination clinic today.

True to form, Tallulah serenaded everyone the whole time, lol. :eek: And, true to form, when a woman came up and remarked on how pretty she was and asked if she could pet her, Tallulah looked right past her . . . and wriggled up to her little girl (about 8 years old) and went all mushy. <3

Catsi

This thread is brilliant. I'm smiling for sure.

Maybe I shouldn't feel proud of this, because it's normal behaviour for the breed and nothing really new... but I am so proud of Grace and how she is with children. Just so dependable, gentle (despite being a goofball at 11), and loving. We had the pleasure of a visit from a small child yesterday and she was just stellar. Even went for a really lazy walk with the girl around the yard, lapped up pats, listened to her chattering and just loved every moment. It really shouldn't be surprising at all as I know what she is like, but it was still lovely.

I love how Abby melts away when you stroke from her nose up to the top of her head with one finger. She just goes all gooey on the inside... I guess it's her favourite spot. Despite dogs not generally liking being patted on top of the head. Maybe that should be in the quirk thread.

Toller_08

I just have to say that I absolutely love my dogs and their patience and impeccable manners. I am so, so happy and proud of them this weekend.

My grandparents are back visiting for the weekend with their two little dogs, and I also have my other grandma's dog here because my grandma is in Halifax and my dogs just have taken everybody in stride so well. The visiting dogs are all full of attitude, lack some manners and just are generally kind of chaotic in a lot of ways and I am so impressed at how genuinely good my dogs are being. They're listening perfectly, are ignoring the antics of the other dogs when they're being obnoxious, are showing a lot of patience with the other dogs when they're being rude, are exhibiting superb impulse control, etc. Just so many things and so many reasons to be super proud of them. I love my trio. They have all grown up to be such nice, respectable dogs that everybody enjoys so much. They really, really impress me. I couldn't be happier with them. Such good dogs. :)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
LOL, Renee!

I just have to say I'm super impressed with Fable's recall. Millie is The Good Dog, she was always such a good puppy, but the speed and reliability of Fable's recall starting when she first came home surpasses any dog I've had. Hers isn't better, Millie's recall is rock solid; I can call her off a rabbit or anything, but it took more practice with her when she was a puppy than it did Fable.

Lyzelle

*faints*

Kharma was in the kitchen and there was a big block of cheddar cheese on the counter . . . It was still there when I came back!
I can't say the same, unfortunately. Zander broke into Jin's room last night to snarf a sammich that was left on the floor.

But he did leave MY sammich alone when I ducked out of the bedroom for a second to re-check all the doors were shut(they weren't). So I guess he gets more brownie points for not running out the doors.

JacksonsMom

I'm so proud of Jackson ... this whole weekend he's been FETCHING. Outdoors. Like hard-core fetching. He loves it and keeps coming back for more!

He's always played fetch inside, but it's always been a task to get him motivated outdoors. He's been more and more into frisbees, but just now is also into BALL. I am so pumped.

I'm pretty sure he's getting a mini chuck-it for his birthday and some more tennis balls!

Members online

No members online now.