one year ago today.....

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
We had to put my BC Chance down. He was only about three years old, and I only had him for 7 months. I found him at an animal shelter... and without my hubby's permission I got him, and took him home! I couldnt leave him, he was going to be PTS the next day.

Turned out we were both in love with this dog. He was so smart, so sweet, and always had us laughing. He would run around the house chasing Ruckus, and ran into a wall one time. He even ate a whole cell phone except for the battery. He loved balls...

From about day 3 of getting him out of the shelter I knew something wasnt right. He would shoot food and water out of his nose. And even aspirate. His nose leaked horrible smelling puss all the time. and even bleed. He would have a few nose bleeds a week.

We took him to the vet and after two surgeries to close a large hole deep in his mouth we thought he would be fine. During the last surgery they noticed that he had tumors all in his sinus cavities. No matter what anti biotics we put him on he would not get better at all.

Three vets later still no answer. No one knew what was wrong, and there was no end in sight.

Then one morning, like magic he was better!!! We were thrilled and thought we would have him around for years and years to come. I have no idea what he miraculously got better. A couple of weeks after that, he suddenly got worse overnight. Worse than I have ever seen him! He struggled to breath, and puss was draining out of his nose. he would breath it in, and make bubbles breathing it back out. He smelled rotten... and was not acting like himself.

I took him to the vets to be PTS. I couldnt be back there with him when he was PTS. I know I would upset him worse because I was crying so much. So I told him goodbye, and that i loved him. He looked into my eyes wagging his tail. and then he went into the back.....
I know he was okay back there. He was not scared of vets, and loved everyone he has ever met. He was the sort of dog that would go in a car with a stranger.

Since we NEVER found out any clue what so ever to what was wrong with him, I just cannot feel closure.

RIP Chance. I am so glad I rescued you and gave you 7 extra months to live. You lived those 7 months to the fullest... play in creeks, endless fetch... going to the dog park.

bubbatd

Just remember the love you gave him ......without it , he never would have know it .

You gave him the best months of his life. It was to short but was enough for him to remember you forever and vice versa.

What does not kill you makes you stronger.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Your love changed the life of Chance and gave him those 7 extra months where he loved and played hard. It's OK to cry and remember fondly what we've lost.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I still remember how much brainstorming was tossed back and forth on this forum, trying to figure out what it might be and what might be done to help Chance... you did everything in your power to help him, far more than a lot of people would. He was lucky to have found you and I think you were lucky to have had him come in and touch your life.

I hope one day you can feel closure.

Thracian

He sounds like a wonderful dog. Bless you for rescuing him and giving him seven months of happiness.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
you did what you could for him--and gave him a good life even if it was shorter than you expected--he knew love in that short time. We all should have love in our lives.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Thank you all very much. I understand that he is gone now. And I am okay with that. It just makes me crazy that no one knows what was wrong with him.

RIP Chance

Ruckus and Chance February 08

Chance was a beauty, and was lucky to have you.

A few years ago, my dog died from tumors in her sinuses, and had similar symptoms as Chance did. I have an old thread about it here. It was terrible, so I know what you are talking about. So sorry..:(

Members online

No members online now.