She was never vaccinated.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
The Pomeranian puppy we got a few days ago was never vaccinated. We only just found this out. She is 16 weeks old or so, far beyond the time she should have had her first shots. And, me being me, I'm in a panic.
We are picking her up tomorrow.

The previous owner told us now that she refuses to pay for the shots, and doesn't want the dog in her house any longer. I have never dealt with late vaccinations...should I be worried? Will it cost us more (how much will it cost, in general)?

I can't believe this, but, I guess we just have to deal with it.
:(

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
the vet will tell you
any new animal should see a vet before going near any animals you own
if you dont have any the dog should still go to the vet within 24 hours
since its your dog now you have to pay for everything unless you have a signed agreement

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
We don't have a signed agreement, but before taking her home, she would not give her to us because she hadn't had her shots. I asked about it today, and all of a sudden she is out of money.

I'm willing to pay, I just want to make sure it will not be hard on the puppy to be vaccinated later, for whatever reason. And how much it is going to cost me, considering this is the first time I've had to deal with all of this. Every other dog I've had has already had their first shots.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
depends on where you live here it & what shots where you live give
$200 bucks or so inc the exam fee
you can go to a shelter most of them do they very cheap

i went to petland ( a vet comes) to save some money it cost me $45 for a bunch of shots i thought it was a great deal since the vets in ny are expensive

elegy

overdogged
it's fine, but she needs to be vaccinated asap. she's old enough for her rabies vaccine, so she should get that. she'll also get a first distemper vaccine, which will need to be boostered in 3-4 weeks.

StevePax

A guy with a dog
Shots this late won't hurt her at all. When we took our pup to the vet for shots, it was about $30 the first round, $30 the second round, and then $60 the third round (because the third time Leo also got Bordatella and Rabies, in addition to the regular distemper/parvo/etc. vaccine). There was no additional charge, I guess, for the visit. Just the shots.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Is it possible to go to the SPCA for their low-cost vaccinations, and get everything I need?
We are having a money situation right now, but if that's not a good idea, I won't do it, and will find the money to take her elsewhere.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Personally, I'd want to take a new pup to a good vet.. they can usually detect early signs of a problem.

Definately book that puppy an appointment BEFORE it gets home to your animals though.. possibly when you pick puppy up, try and get an appointment same day before it goes home..

Dekka

Just try me..
I really don't get the hoopla. If your animals all have *their* shots, then they should be covered, right? Many things they get shots for (at least here) are not easily (or at all) transferable between dogs.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
introducing a sick dog into your pack can cause stress on both parties weakening the immune system.

What if the puppy had Giardia, or Coccidia... the main signs from those are loose stool... the dogs your bringing the pup into are at risk to catch those.

But, if your introducing a dog to your cat - then the risk levels are minimalized considerably.

Fran27

My worry would be that it will be hard to catch up on socializing. The main window is almost out by now, and if the pup doesn't have any vaccinations, it's going to be another 3 months before you can take her out and socialize her properly, which might be too late.

Try to look for places where you can bring her that don't have any dogs so she can get used to people at least.

Gerald

I cannot belive this woman did not give at least one set of shots already. It should be two sets by now. Is she a "breeder"?
Good luck with your baby.

Dekka

Just try me..
If it is sick..but if it seems healthy, I wouldn't be to worried if your dogs are all up to date. But yes the socialization issues are much greater a concern than the health ones IMO

Members online

No members online now.