Trash Raiding

Pepper, my Dalmatian, just recently in the past year has started getting into the trash. I put a gate across the kitchen doorway, plus a chair pushed against it for extra support. He pushes the gate out of the way with his nose and slides the chair to the side with his paw just to get into the kitchen. I have tried everything I know to get him to stop but he manages to find a way into the trash. I dont even know why he even started in the first place. I am now putting the trash can in the bathroom with the door shut when I leave. What can I do to stop this nasty habit. :confused:

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
can you put the trash under the sink? Or you could try baiting him while you are home and if he goes near the trash you could shake a can with some pennies in it to scare him away. Make sure that he can't see you though, this would be good, because than he'll think that it's the trash making the scary noise and not you. Than he will associate the sound of the can with the trash.

Thanks

Thank you I havent thought about that. I'll try that because scolding him isnt working. He knows hes doing something wrong when he gets in the trash. Every time he does it he runs for the couch ( which is his, I guess you could say, time out spot) :)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
That's what I do for my dogs. If they chew on something that I don't want them chewing on (and the bitter apple isn't working) I will shake a can of pennies. If they don't see you doing it then they think that the object they have is doing it.

Members online

No members online now.