Decorating With Pets

dourdog

Hi guys, sorry if this isn't the best place to ask but I couldn't find an advice forum... hope for an opinion or two! So... it may be slightly crazy sounding... but decorating a new living room with my Chum dog in mind is something I've been mulling over. Matching the color of a couch with Chum's hair seems to be a pretty good idea that I found on this apartment decorating with pets page given that her hair gets everywhere. But I'd like to take it a step further even... Call me crazy!
If anyone has thought of doing this before or has any cute or clever ideas I'd be super interested to hear. Thanks in advance!

clo

wookie130

I agree with the slipcovers thing...they'll save your furniture.

As far as decorating to MATCH your pet...it's a cute idea, as long as you keep in mind that the actual dog is more than an extension of your decor. I've seen folks get RID of their animals, because they no longer matched their carpet, drapes, etc.! :mad:

But, to decorate to CELEBRATE the spirit of your pet, there's all kinds of cool ideas, if you're crafty!

1. Get an old lamp, and redo the shade...take black and white photos of your pooch, and mix up equal parts water and elmers glue...with a paint brush, brush the entire outside of the lampshade with the water/glue, and secure the photos how you'd like them to the lampshade...and then, brush the water/glue mixture over the top of the photos and lampshade once again...voila! The photos will dry clear, and appear to be embedded on your lampshade!

2. Take a photo of your dog, and take it to your nearest Wal-greens photo lab, or another photo lab that offers the "throw" or "blanket service." Many photo labs will take the picture, and create a personalized blanket with the picture on it! Cute for your dog's favorite couch or chair!

3. Make a collage...take photos and pictures of your dog, arrange them in the desired way, mount them on a nifty matte board, and have your creation framed!

4. Flower pots...you can find an artsy friend to paint your dog's image onto some clay pots in various sizes, or, paint a pot in the desired colors, allow it to dry, and take photos of your dog (as described in the lampshade part above), and do the water and glue trick...cute!!!

5. Find someone to do a large "family portrait" of you and your dog! You'd be surprised how many talented high school artists you could commission cheaply who will do a good job! They're in practically every high school!

There are many ideas out there that are cheap and fun to do...

As far as decorating to MATCH your pet...it's a cute idea, as long as you keep in mind that the actual dog is more than an extension of your decor. I've seen folks get RID of their animals, because they no longer matched their carpet, drapes, etc.! :mad:
That would be my concern as well.

but I have to be honest and say I find this idea distasteful. Would you match your house colors to your child? make your child wear the same clothes every day to match your house?
Most people change there decor every once in a while, and I think its great to be dog friendly, but matching to an actual living thing seems kind of.... shallow

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Cider matches, it's totally accidental though. She fits in with the tan in the leopard print I have ;)

My dogs are brindle, which is good since I have every other animal print in my room so they add the "tiger" element ;)

wookie130

I don't know, I think if you keep in mind that you're decorating to CELEBRATE the essence of your pet, you could really have some fun with it. No, I wouldn't attempt to match my human children to my home decor, because, well...they're PEOPLE!!! And that's just not really how I choose to celebrate my kids...I celebrate my kids through photo albums, bragging to friends and family, positively reinforcing their good behaviors and habits, and letting them be individuals. But, I think one could have fun with decorating their home to celebrate their pets, just for the amount of creativity, personalization, and craftiness involved. It would just be in the spirit of FUN, and for the sake of loving your pet.

I see nothing wrong with personalized dog blankies, pet beds, slip covers, lamp shades, wall art, etc. I think it's cute, and it would be neat to do. No harm done. :)

Members online

No members online now.