Help us choose a breed

I've known several people who had Irish Setters. They all worked and their kids went to school, and their dogs seemed quite well adjusted and had free range in the house. I think there was a lot of couch-napping going on ;)

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
I don't often recommend Belgians, but if you are going to consider them at all during your research, a low-drive Belgian may fit your situation. They are very active outside, but couch potatoes indoors. They are good being left alone provided they are left with some sort of stimulation, but if you want to keep it outside during the day, I'd recommend one from American lines rather than European, as European Belgians are quite the alert barkers. You would have to make sure it came from a good breeder though, and the breeder should tell you what type of drive it is, as the more drive, the more difficult the dog is. Low drive Belgians can fit almost any situation, they adapt very well.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
colliewog said:
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (aka "Toller")
I like Tollers!
There are also
Flat coated Retrievers
Curly coated retrievers
Chessapeaks

PFC1

wolfsoul said:
I don't often recommend Belgians, but if you are going to consider them at all during your research, a low-drive Belgian may fit your situation. They are very active outside, but couch potatoes indoors. They are good being left alone provided they are left with some sort of stimulation, but if you want to keep it outside during the day, I'd recommend one from American lines rather than European, as European Belgians are quite the alert barkers. You would have to make sure it came from a good breeder though, and the breeder should tell you what type of drive it is, as the more drive, the more difficult the dog is. Low drive Belgians can fit almost any situation, they adapt very well.
I don't know. I love Belgians, but I think there is a high likelihood they would get one that would not fit them well at all. Belgians are such intelligent dogs, and intelligent dogs being left alone can spell disaster. This breed can be a real handful for the inexperienced, or those that will need to leave the dog home alone a lot.

bubbatd

We had a beautiful Irish setter from great breeding once.... He was as loving as could be..... just had a bunch of bricks in his head instead of brains. Most aren't the brightest bulb in the kennel !

Last edited:
No, Setters aren't known for being the sharpest knife in the drawer, but they do have such lovely dispositions and most people I've known who lived with them said they were easy to train and very easy to live with . . . and they are so affectionate and gently fun-loving.

bubbatd

When my Dad went off to WW2 , we ended up having to " lend " him a couple for a few years.... he became very vindictive and destructive.

Staff online

Members online