EaglePack and the smell

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
I was planning on moving my puppy [ 16-month old male GSD ] to EaglePack Natural Formula. I did that very slowly as he is suffering from EPI [ Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency ]. I started by adding 1/4 cup of EaglePack to his current diet and increasing it gradually until I was adding 1.5 cup of EagelPack and 1/2 cup of current food. Things went great [ he put on weight and his stools firmed up a lot and became less in volume and size ]. However, towards the end of the EaglePack bag [ I had bought the 15lbs bag ], my puppy started to smell very strongly. A very strong and foul smell. I know, it's most probably,was because of EaglePack because when I was thru with the bag I didn't buy anymore and kept him on his current food [ Solid Gold Hund-n-Flucken Adult formula ] and the smell just disappeared.
Any ideas ?

Thanks

P.S. : For the EaglePack fans, don't get me wrong. EaglePack is a great product but that was my experience with it so I'd like to know what went wrong ?

Roxy's CD

From what I've heard Solid Gold is a great food too. Eagle Pack is good but some dogs may do better on SG than Eagle Pack.

If you *know* the stinky smell is from EP than stay on SG, it's a good food too! :D

My guys are EP and don't smell funny. It's just your smelly dog :p J/ks, different foods affect each dog differently :)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
It could very well be that something is in the Eagle Pack formula that he can't tolerate and is absent from the Solid Gold.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the EP itself, it's just not the right food for your dog if it has such an effect on him. :)

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Sure there isn't anything wrong with Eaglepack. The weird thing is that smell started only with the last couple of cups of EP bag which was kind of strange.
I would like to stay with SG only but the issues are :

1. With SG only he's not gaining any weight which he did when I added EP
2. His stools were significantly better when I added EP

I guess I'll just go with 50-50 mix of both foods. That seemed to work well.

Thanks for the input though

Last edited:

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Which variety of EP were you feeding? Have you tried a different formula?

JR0579

German Shepherds Rock
Mordy said:
Which variety of EP were you feeding? Have you tried a different formula?
I tried the Natural Formula. I think I'll try the Large Breed formula and see if that makes any difference. Mordy, I had asked this question before but I forgot the answer .... old age is getting to me :) , which is easier to digest of the three :

1. Lamb
2. Beef
3. Chicken

Thanks so much

Mordy

Quigleyfied
It really depends on the individual dog, but generally speaking I'd say chicken. On the flip side, there are many dogs out there who do not tolerate chicken all that well, or even all poultry in general.

Members online