Returning a dog to the breeder - Questions/Rant

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I agree, but if it encouraged in some circles to have too-thin dogs then it can be more an issue of actually thinking it is desirable vs I don't think I'll bother to feed you today.
Sorry, I still blame the owners for choosing to uber lean out their dogs because it is fashionable. This is dangerously common in pit bulls.

Shakou

The biggest thing with the Saluki that has bothered me from the get go is he's more gaunt than in hard working condition. He does not seem to have muscle to go along with the lack of body fat and to me that says malnutrition. But he's always been on the edge, just enough that I didn't feel sure from just pictures.
Yes, exactly. My uncle's Salukis are very thin as well, but it's a healthy looking thin, if that makes sense. With this dog, there is just something there that just doesn't look right.

Xandra

Sorry, I still blame the owners for choosing to uber lean out their dogs because it is fashionable. This is dangerously common in pit bulls.
I'm not disagreeing with you really (though I think some do think it is in the animal's best interest). What I'm trying to say is it's a different kettle of fish than what happened to the fila.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
in other news this thread is officially the most viewed thread in general dog chat.
I sorted by views and the second one that showed up was the 'only working dogs are real dogs!' thread. I was thinking about that thread the other day.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I definitely agree. I'm honestly not so much worried that dog is neglected but unfairly having food withheld to appease a cosmetic fashion. Check out ADBA shows, tons of people think you "condition" at the food bowl. Fools.

SkyRock

No one can completely judge Bukra then, look at how many others Saluki's show so much. Plus, he is panting and in motion.
Sorry but this is a pretty dumb and uneducated excuse. Not because many other dogs are too thin means that is okay for dogs to be that thin. Not talking about Salukis specifically, but in general. It's like saying, 'oh but look at how many other dogs are abused, one more, one less it doesn't matter'.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yeah, most sighthounds i see are like this, i dont know if its a metabolism thing or what but maybe I'm used to looking at 'thicker' ACDs (tho 'thick' is typical they esp when they are young can also be on the lean side due to activity level)

Xandra

I definitely agree. I'm honestly not so much worried that dog is neglected but unfairly having food withheld to appease a cosmetic fashion. Check out ADBA shows, tons of people think you "condition" at the food bowl. Fools.
Agreed. Several years ago I was more into the bones and muscle look. Now it worries me when there is no fat reserve.

crazedACD

I agree, but if it encouraged in some circles to have too-thin dogs then it can be more an issue of actually thinking it is desirable vs I don't think I'll bother to feed you today.
This is what I was trying to say earlier..I wonder if this was more of the case here than actual 'neglect'. I don't think we will ever know the 'why's' of this situation with the fila puppy, but if she was trying to keep the puppy as thin as the saluki...that could be the end result. Not that I'm even trying to rationalize it..but, it's possible..

I know Skye got too thin when she around 2 years old..but I was freaked out about it, vetting and worming and feeding as much as she would eat (like 5-6cups a day). And even that, she had a bit more weight on her than Bukra, though I know this is a matter of opinion. (Now she's eating 2 cups a day and slightly overweight..go figure..).

In that photo he looks better then some of the Saluki's posted.

So handsome <3
This just made me a little sick...seriously

I agree her Saluki is not being obviously starved. Yes, he is very thin but sighthounds can be and pics arent always the clearest. HOWEVER, to act PROUD that this dog is not starving and emaciated!!! Oh ok, THIS dog isnt, JUST the Fila was...that somehow makes it ok???? wow, just wow

Shakou

Yeah, most sighthounds i see are like this, i dont know if its a metabolism thing or what but maybe I'm used to looking at 'thicker' ACDs (tho 'thick' is typical they esp when they are young can also be on the lean side due to activity level)
The way it was explained to me is because they were created to run through the hot desert, and need to be as light weight as possible. Also, they naturally have very thin skin so they don't over heat for the same purposes. It's normal for ribs to show, but only so much is considered healthy.

TahlzK

This just made me a little sick...seriously

I agree her Saluki is not being obviously starved. Yes, he is very thin but sighthounds can be and pics arent always the clearest. HOWEVER, to act PROUD that this dog is not starving and emaciated!!! Oh ok, THIS dog isnt, JUST the Fila was...that somehow makes it ok???? wow, just wow
What, sick because I think he's handsome?

I don't see that dog as being emaciated.

What, sick because I think he's handsome?

I don't see that dog as being emaciated.
Because you act proud of her for her treatment of the Saluki (which is questionable) but TOTALLY ignore the STARVED baby Fila. You should be livid at your friend. You should be begging her to get help. You should worry and fear for her dogs.

What struck such a chord with me in Bullseye's photos is that they reminded me too much of what Tallulah looked like when I brought her home, and the techs at the vet's office had tried to pay attention to her and done their best to get food in her. Granted, she had fought off parvo, but one of the techs later told me she'd been there for THREE MONTHS afterward and had grieved and refused to eat. That's why she begged me to take Tallulah (then Lulu) home with me. This is what my little dog looked like when I brought her home.

But she didn't stay that way long :)

Xandra

This is what I was trying to say earlier..I wonder if this was more of the case here than actual 'neglect'. I don't think we will ever know the 'why's' of this situation with the fila puppy, but if she was trying to keep the puppy as thin as the saluki...that could be the end result. Not that I'm even trying to rationalize it..but, it's possible..
My point was actually kinda the opposite. I would guess the Saluki is not neglected... just kept thin for aesthetics or because she believes it is healthiest for a hunting dog.

The fila was totally neglected. She probably did keep him a bit thinner normally, so when he really started losing weight he didn't have far to go before atrophy set in. But it is beggar's belief that there was some confusion as to whether he was becoming shamefully emaciated, or whether he was just lean. Part of the point of thinness is to get the muscles to pop. He is short coated. He clearly had no muscle left along his spine.

yoko

What struck such a chord with me in Bullseye's photos is that they reminded me too much of what Tallulah looked like when I brought her home
That's how I feel only with Yoshi. When I got her she was about as tall as she is now. She weight 15 lbs. She now weighs 47-50 lbs.

Starving was bad enough but Yoshi was just as eager for love and attention from me. I've said it before when I first got Yoshi I didn't want to touch her. She was gross, had bald spots, smelled bad, and was bones. But there was no way in hell I was going to take that baby in and NOT care for her. Obviously we got over that issue pretty quick and bonded within days but for someone not to do something as simple as feeding a dog because they didn't like them is unforgivable imo.

Xandra

If my dog wouldn't eat to the point of emaciation I would be forcefully syringe feeding him kibble mush. Renee those vet techs pleaded for your dog to go to a home where she might fair better. What would you think of them if they'd just left her like that in the back room, without mentioning her to anyone who could help? It really does sound like Teal just had to call the breeder and it would have been sorted out.

As was already mentioned, it seems the fila pup started gaining weight crazily the moment it was removed. Despite the stress of being emaciated, vetted, transported, it started eating and gaining immediately. You could be right, that the pup just wouldn't eat. To me, it points towards a lack of food issue.

Members online

No members online now.