Normal people + Malinois =

stafinois

Professional Nerd
The reason Mals are gaining popularity with the public is because of the type of breeders that Adrianne mentioned. If breeders were being more careful about their dogs, you wouldn't be seeing things like what has been posted about here. I'm afraid that gaining popularity in sports and work has not done them any favors unfortunately. Instead, it has attracted a lot of breeders who don't really know much about the breed or care to, they just want to sell working/sport/protection/police bred puppies to whoever wants to buy them. There certainly are some great Mal breeders out there, so I don't mean to sound as though there is not. However, there are also a lot of..."for profit" breeders of them too. And when breeding gets to be more business oriented, sometimes there isn't the focus on ethics and what is or isn't good for the breed or buyers as there should be.
I'm afraid that this is very true.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I completely agree.

A small percent of the "i wants" are suited for them but the vast majority have no idea and no interest in the amount of work it takes to shape a mal from puppy to "good dog". Somedays I think we'd be better off letting our dogs be complete and utter asshats to at least try and discourage the people best suited for other breeds.

I should start loaning out Backup. >:D

monkeys23

It is bad. I hate seeing this happen. I cringed reading a lot of those experiences in this thread with stupid people having bought dogs they shouldn't have.

Its just as bad with GSD's, Northern breeds, and BC's though.

Hell both my dogs (GSD/Sibe... Scout probably has some Belgian variety pack in there too given what was in that hoarding bust she was born into the aftermath of) were someone else's throwaways for the simple reason that their previous owners simply could not meet their needs. And yet they do awesome living in a crappy basement apt. And when I got Scout I was actually couch hopping and still saw a dramatic immediate improvment in her overall. Which is really just very sad for what it says about the average pet owner and the working dog breeds.

Paige

Let it be
All I can say is Mals are not average dogs. Why would the average pet owner even be attracted to them? I would love to be in a situation where I could have a Mal one day but I am not going to trick myself into thinking that is any time soon, if ever. More people need to be honest with their situations and breeders need some more morals instead of letting them go to anyone.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
All I can say is Mals are not average dogs. Why would the average pet owner even be attracted to them? I would love to be in a situation where I could have a Mal one day but I am not going to trick myself into thinking that is any time soon, if ever. More people need to be honest with their situations and breeders need some more morals instead of letting them go to anyone.
Your question is in blue, and you answered it in red. Average pet owners are attracted to breeds unsuitable for them because they're not honest with their situations. I see this allllll the time. :(

Paige

Let it be
Oh I know I just don't understand why people are attracted to what is not good for them.

~Tucker&Me~

Oh I know I just don't understand why people are attracted to what is not good for them.
When it comes to chocolate I just can't help myself :p

But yeah, it's sad. Some breeds in particular make me cringe when people buy them and don't know much. The 'less forgiving' breeds are the ones that make me more nervous, too. Mals would be one, so would ACDs and BCs. Bleh.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
What I would like to do is make my own lure course... I have a few dogs that would go magic bananas over it :9

Anyone have. Cheaper idea then $599 from a company? I have googled it but can't really find any set instructions on how.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Poor dog. My girl is turning 8 this fall and I was just thinking how well she;s aged as she runs circles around me because she is so excited to be going for a walk with me. Actually, I walk, an she runs around me. Just on my street, I will let her off leash for a little while so she can get a little energy out.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Did you see the nice Malinois on Person of Interest this season? Looks like he's going to be a regular on the show.

Members online

No members online now.