Fila correct temp? how to test Part 1

The tester in our area doesn't do that. They do something where the tester takes the dog's leash and stands quietly with the dog while you go out of sight for three minutes. He doesn't try to interact with the dog, he just stands there with it and observe for signs of serious separation anxiety, like incessant barking and pacing. The dog is allowed to move around though. Mainly just stand there and look well adjusted.
The one they did on my Bear (GSD/Akita) and my big blue cat was completely away from me. They actually took them into another room where they couldn't see me at all. Kharma would NEVER go for that, lol.

You can also treat the 'supervised separation' as an out of sight stay- I've got a friend who passed it with a dog that way (dog was well-trained to IGNORE any commands (or interaction in general, unless released to greet) from strangers and return to handler EXCEPT when placed on a stay. :p).
I don't - ideally - ever want to see a Fila that is comfortable with their person out of their sight around strangers. Part of the Fila's inherent nature, as much as it is to distrust strangers, is to want to be right there, or at least within sight - of their people when they are away from home. Kharma will stay - reluctantly - with people she knows and trusts, but she isn't thrilled with it.

Members online

No members online now.