Remind me . . .

That although Tallulah LOVES raw cabbage . . . . Raw cabbage does NOT love her . . . sneaky and stinky . . . :eek:

Kharma processes it efficiently like she does everything though . . . not a poot.

Romy

Taxiderpy
LOL! Sorry, that just reminded why my friend's pit bull is named Lazarus.

Keep the corned beef away from her too then. Filas are probably the only breed on earth that could process the awesome power of both combined without any side affects.

Oh, Kharma's eaten corned beef and cabbage, lol . . . with nary a poot. Even Mexican food . . . even camarones a la diablo, beans with habanero salsa . . . Chinese food . . .

The only time she ever had a problem was when The Idiot fed her 12 cups of EVO one night when I had the flu. I ended up being up all night, puking with a fever and cleaning up dog diarrhea and taking her out repeatedly. While The Idiot slept (after he'd woken me up to tell me she'd had the runs all over the living room floor and I needed to clean it up :rolleyes: )

Tallulah is seriously about to gag me right now though . . . :eek:

Romy

Taxiderpy
Oh man! That sounds totally miserable.

But seriously....The more and more I learn about filas the more appealing they seem. Definitely would have to be a breed 20 or 30 years away from now though, with tons more experience and talking to folks like you about how it is to live with one. :p

The Filas have been the easiest to live with of all the dogs I've ever had actually. The key is to be calm yourself and not easily unsettled, and to socialize early and a LOT. :) Everything after that is cake ;)

Romy

Taxiderpy
*covers ears* la la la! What was that?

Ack, between the cutie pie pictures of Tallulah, and Kharma's smooshy face you're killing me. No bullies or large guardian breeds! At least not yet. ;)

How is a well trained fila at following directions? Are they pretty willing to take leadership from a respected elder? Or are they more inclined to make decisions for themselves? I like independent thinkers (like hounds), but at the same time don't know if an independent thinking dog that is inclined more towards being defensive/protective would be a really good match (as opposed to "GET TEH RABBIT! GET IT!!!! RAAWRG!!!").

Anyway, one of the things that is really appealing to me about hounds is that our working relationship is based on mutual respect. I take care of Strider, so he takes care of me. I don't ask him to do anything retarded and nonsensical such as sit 47 times in a row, and he doesn't disrespect my leadership and follows my requests in a timely manner. I suspect because normally I don't ask him to do something that isn't important unless hotdogs are involved, he gets the idea that when I do tell him to do something it is significant and he should listen. Is working with a fila like this?

Lastly, what kind of person works well with a fila? This is my biggest worry. I am 120 lbs and really slight. Also very softspoken. I know some breeds are harder and generally respond (listen?) better when people speak to them in a deeper, more authoritative tone. That isn't me, and if that's what a fila needs from someone to be able to see them as a respected pack elder, it probably wouldn't be a good fit.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Renee--here I thought you were an intelligent person! what were you thinking?:yikes::rofl1:

Barb04

Super Moderator
Remember to have her sleep in bed with her face at your face!

Anyway, one of the things that is really appealing to me about hounds is that our working relationship is based on mutual respect. I take care of Strider, so he takes care of me. I don't ask him to do anything retarded and nonsensical such as sit 47 times in a row, and he doesn't disrespect my leadership and follows my requests in a timely manner. I suspect because normally I don't ask him to do something that isn't important unless hotdogs are involved, he gets the idea that when I do tell him to do something it is significant and he should listen. Is working with a fila like this?
Very much . . . only more so . . . and you don't need the hot dogs ;) Try to bribe your Fila and it will just take the goodies and go on its merry way. The only *hold* you have over your Fila is mutual love and respect.

Lastly, what kind of person works well with a fila? This is my biggest worry. I am 120 lbs and really slight. Also very softspoken. I know some breeds are harder and generally respond (listen?) better when people speak to them in a deeper, more authoritative tone. That isn't me, and if that's what a fila needs from someone to be able to see them as a respected pack elder, it probably wouldn't be a good fit.
That deep, authoritative business it total crap to the Fila. They typically PREFER women and soft voices. And calm. They are so completely connected to you that you will find, as time goes on, the need for verbal communication becomes less and less; they become tuned to your every mood.

And face it, a 100 pound woman is at no real disadvantage compared to a 250 pound man, because, when it comes right down to it, neither one of you can hold a Fila by physical strength. It's all in the heart.

Oh, and think of a Fila not so much as a Guardian Breed, but as an all purpose breed. True, there is no guardian like a Fila, but there is also no hunter like a Fila (jaguar, anyone?); they are trackers, they are herding dogs, they are the ultimate family dog, and beautifully efficient bed warmers. Loving, playful, humorous, devoted and connected beyond anything you've ever experienced.

But, if you aren't ready to give yourself heart and soul to the love of a Fila, don't get one.

Members online

No members online now.