What breed would you purchase from a BYB?

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
If you were to ever purchase from a BYB which breed would you chose? Suppose they did health testing and temperment testing but did not show the dogs.

I would buy a GSD from a BYB who health/temperment tests over a reputable breeder any day. Too much sloping in the back end for the show dogs, the BYB tend to have sturdier built dogs

elegy

overdogged
i wouldn't. period. not even for pretend. i do not condone irresponsible breeding at all, ever.

W

whatszmatter

LizzieCollie said:
If you were to ever purchase from a BYB which breed would you chose? Suppose they did health testing and temperment testing but did not show the dogs.

I would buy a GSD from a BYB who health/temperment tests over a reputable breeder any day. Too much sloping in the back end for the show dogs, the BYB tend to have sturdier built dogs
GSD's are bred by very reputable breeders that are very sound in temperment, having the drive a GSD is supposed to have, and health certs, but what's winning in the show ring isn't their #1 priority. GSD?? had a statementin another thread made by the originator himself saying that nothing is above the working ability in the GSD. Gladly there are still breeders that realize this and this great breed will not be destined for the scrap heap anytime soon. I have yet to see a working GSD with less than ideal ring conformation that couldn't run all day.

whatszmatter said:
GSD's are bred by very reputable breeders that are very sound in temperment, having the drive a GSD is supposed to have, and health certs, but what's winning in the show ring isn't their #1 priority. GSD?? had a statementin another thread made by the originator himself saying that nothing is above the working ability in the GSD. Gladly there are still breeders that realize this and this great breed will not be destined for the scrap heap anytime soon. I have yet to see a working GSD with less than ideal ring conformation that couldn't run all day.
Agreed.I just stick with German Show Lines or Euro Working Lines.I will never buy a BYB dog or pup.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
I can't imagine ever getting ANY sort of dog from a BYB. Even though I don't like the majority of GSDs being shown in AKC conformation, I would import a dog from reputable German lines instead.

The word "back yard breeder" in its essence implies that the person doesn't put much thought into what they're doing. That's why no one is really able to answer this question without saying "none," even if it is just for pretend.

There are plenty of reputable breeders that do not show their dogs. Many people breed dogs purely for working purposes, and there's nothing wrong with that, as long as the animals are health-tested and proving their working ability. I'd go to one of these before I ever went to a BYB.

Any BYB is not breeding to improve the breed. They are breeding as a business to make money. I will not purchase anything from a BYB no matter what kind of testing is done.....

I would NEVER purchase a dog from a BYB even for pretend. That is terrible to even think about. I would possibly steal one who is doing poorly or something if the situation came up :) Go ahead, arrest me :)

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
Unfortunately, even pretending, there is nothing that a BYB dog has to offer over a reputable breeder. If dogs aren't titled in conformation, that doesn't necessarily make the person a BYB. A BYB is someone breeding for profit, without much knowledge of the breed, health concerns, etc. A breeder who doesn't do conformation, but finds other ways to prove their dogs is just a different kind of responsible breeder. (Breeding a farm working BC, for instance, would not be a bad thing, even if the dog lacked conformation or herding titles, because the dog is working for a living and proving itself in that manner).

I would hope the person breeding the healthy, moderate GSDs you are "buying" in your scenario would be doing some kind of performance, like obedience or agility, or maybe therapy work (very admirable). Then they would be proven as performance dogs and your BYB wouldn't actually *be* a BYB, just not a conformation breeder. ;)

And actually, I have a BYB dog (my fiance's Westie). His parents both have health problems (dad has allergies, mom has a soft timid temperament - very bad for a terrier). So our dog has dad's allergies/chronic skin problems and mom's timid temperament, making him a fear biter and resource guarder. He is physically and mentally unstable. Since I'm living it, I could never imagine someone doing KNOWINGLY (even if we are just pretending).

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I agree with the other replies... playing "Let's buy from a BYB" is about as fun as playing "Let's kick puppies" :p Not fun. Sick.

Fozzie is from a BYB. His Mom was a Corgi, who was bred to a neighbors ranch dog. That's all that I know! He certaintly wasn't acquired from the BYB-er herself, though.

Colliewog, are we thinking of the same Westie? There is a Westie puppy in our puppy kindergarten class, and she is painfully shy and has horrible health issues already. After talking to the owners, definitely from a BYB. Watching her in play class, then looking over and watching the healthy well-adjusted Westie boy, it's like two different dogs. It's so sad.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I replied earlier, but don't see my post!

Colliewog, are we thinking of the same Westie? There is a Westie puppy in our puppy kindergarten class, and she is painfully shy and has horrible health issues already. After talking to the owners, definitely from a BYB. Watching her in play class, then looking over and watching the healthy well-adjusted Westie boy, it's like two different dogs. It's so sad.
No, we're not talking about the same Westie and that's even more sad! I'm in Florida and these were local dogs, and the parents were local too! :(

Amstaffer

Bad place to ask that question. Any knowledgeable and caring doglover would not buy from a BYB ....ever ; because it encourages and rewards a person who is unethically at best and abusively in many cases to breed dogs.

There are Millions of dogs looking for homes in shelters many are the products of BYBers. I (and many others on this board) HATE BYBers. They are a major part of the problem with genetic diseases and behavior problems.

The Breed doesn't matter. It is like asking "What stick would you use to remove your own eye with?" No matter the stick you'll still blind in the end :(

Members online

No members online now.