Dog breed combinations - spin off thread

Catsi

A spin-off thread from Chaospony's thread about breeds your dog likes.

What breeds generally make good pack combinations in your experience. I know individual dogs of any breed can work in a given situation, but what breeds do you think seem to compliment each other fairly well.

I can only go on temperament in my household and my two are perfect for each other -

One very calm, confident, quiet and tolerant stafford who loves to play with one naturally highly strung, reactive and lively Chi x who also loves to play.

My grandmother's whippet also works in well and is a godsend for Abby who much prefers (i.e. merely tolerates instead of reacts to) individuals who are not in your face types and are quite mindful of personal space.

I know my stafford is too full on for many herding types, so I don't subject them to her style of play. But small dogs tend to enjoy her because she is very gentle and seems to tone it down for them. Locke the whippet doesn't seem to mind her either but I've noticed that the play styles change... Locke won't really wrestle with Grace, but he LOVES being chased, whereas Abby enjoys being chased and wrestling. Gracie is too slow to be chased by either of them... they are both very fast. I love watching Grace wrestle with Abby because sometimes she doesn't even bother to get up out of a down position and Abby is just a hive of activity... jumping, running, backing into etc.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Shelties and papillons go together nicely imo. The size differential is not too bad. They're both sensitive kinds of dogs. Both with a decent amount of energy too. Both quirky and driven (good ones at least). Not prone to DA. We never had any real play style conflict either. Might just be my dogs but they all liked chase except the boys, who would play rough with each other. All in all, they got along without a hitch. Never had an issue.

Both breeds do like to bark though, so probably not the best for people that don't enjoy a lot of barking dogs. ;)

That's really the only breed combo I've had though.

Dachshunds and Corgis, they do seem to work out together perfectly (you can even ask the Queen herself about it).

Flyinsbt

I only have the one breed, but apparently, Staffords and Border Collies make a good combination.

The Stafford kind of does what she wants, and the Border Collies run in circles and wish they were allowed to have toys. :lol-sign:

Doberluv

Here's one combination that worked well together.:p My Lab had been in this combo too, but she died prior to this picture.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
According to my pack, terriers herders & retrievers work well together ;), at least as long as the size difference isn't too extreme

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Herders and retrievers work well from what I've seen.

I only have Izzie but she seems to get along we'll will herders and retrievers as well.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Teagan seems to do really well with other terriers.

Growing up we always had terriers and Bouviers together and they got along famously. Before Mitsu passed away Teagan and her were getting along really well. They made a good team. Balanced each other out.

chaospony

Can't really comment, I've mostly only had single dogs or Afghans with other Afghans.
Though I did have a Chessie and an Afghan who got along famously. They were inseparable.

We're about to add a saluki with the Af's. hoping they will mesh well, don't see why they wouldn't.

Saeleofu

I have a boxer and a collie, and they make a surprisingly good pair. I could see collies and GSDs getting along great, too. I really need to work with AJ so I can fully introduce him to Logan. Some day maybe I can even get AJ and Gavroche to tolerate each other...

JacksonsMom

I think terriers and Border Collies look nice together and seem to mesh well, and I see it semi-often on lots of agility sites, etc. Our future agility trainer has JRTs and BC's. And well, I just think Jackson would look smashing with a BC by his side ;)

Terriers and other terriers. lol.

Members online

No members online now.