Not sure if you guys had seen this yet?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
It is really all stuff that is known, all in one spot.

I mean, I have nothing at all for or against keeping your dog intact. I can see reasons why people would not want an intact dog in the house.

My bitch is intact. IMO, it was not worth putting her through the operation to get her spayed. That and, as the article states, while it prevents some cancers, there are still other cancers.

Personally, any male dog I was to get would be neutered, solely because I do not want to live with a dog with balls. Personal decision by each person, really.

Brattina88

Good article -- thank you for sharing.

From a rescue POV I am definitely pro-spay/neuter for the general population. Most 'Joe Shmoes' just aren't responsible pet owners and it is the easy solution. But I think that all dog owners need to do their own research and make a decision that's best for them.

Looking back, I wish I would've waited until Maddie was older to get her spayed. If I remember right, she was done at 4-6mos. But that's just mostly gut feeling and things I've learned since then. But I'd still get my spayed. ;)

Maxy24

Yeah, I don't know if I would neuter my dog. I feel like if the rescue didn't require it my parents might not have neutered Tucker...except that dad thought it would stop him from chasing Willie, which is bull and I told him so, because he's playing with him, testosterone doesn't make Tuck play. I honestly don't think I would have pushed having them neuter him unless he started running away or marking inside.

If I do become a vet I don't know what I'll tell my clients. How do I know if these people I see once a year are responsible? I don't want to lie or keep info from people, but I don't want to be the reason they keep their dog intact and find out a few months later the dog is pregnant.

BostonBanker

Very interesting. While I can't see keeping any dog in my future intact indefinitely, I would certainly make an effort to wait until adulthood for a male. I'm less sure on a female; pyometra would worry more than a spay surgery I think.

I absolutely have concerns about the average owner having intact dogs. While our region of the country (very high spay/neuter rate, along with leash laws) produces very few unwanted dogs, it is clear by the enormous numbers in the south and, I assume, some other regions, that many people should not own intact animals. I would rather see their one dog with a shortened lifespan due to early spay/neuter issues than the 4 or 12 or 30 puppies that dog may produce in a lifetime killed.

Of course, it is just as likely any dog I get will come through rescue, and with the exception of a still intact dog from my friend's rescue, who I suspect would trust me to hold off on neutering, the decision will be out of my hands.

Bailey08

Good article -- thank you for sharing.

From a rescue POV I am definitely pro-spay/neuter for the general population. Most 'Joe Shmoes' just aren't responsible pet owners and it is the easy solution. But I think that all dog owners need to do their own research and make a decision that's best for them.

Looking back, I wish I would've waited until Maddie was older to get her spayed. If I remember right, she was done at 4-6mos. But that's just mostly gut feeling and things I've learned since then. But I'd still get my spayed. ;)
This is basically what I was going to say, so I just quoted you. :) I personally am of the opinion that sterilization is the best approach for most average dog owners.

And, since any dog I have will likely need to be spayed or neutered at some point (e.g., Bailey is a daycare dog), and I will almost surely never have a dog that will purposely be bred, and as any dog of mine will likely offleash at some point with unknown dogs (e.g., at the dog beach), I am fairly certain that my future dogs will be fixed.

Do wish I'd waited longer before B was neutered. He was 6 months. Not so bad -- but he definitely has the gangly puppy build (which I don't care about except to the extent that it has the potential to cause problems later on).

Members online

No members online now.