A couple questions....

Watts

I'm new here, but hopefully i can ask a few questions relating to my current and future pets.

First, i have a min. Dachshound. He's the most laid back dog i've ever seen. He's in good health. But we have this problem with him. He seems very timid and gets scared or affraid very easily. When he does this, he pees. I'm not even sure he knows he's doing it. It's very frustrating. He's about 6 years old and it started about 2 yrs ago when he moved to a new home. Any time you lean down to pet him, he'll pee on the floor. If you tell him no, or raise your voice at him at all, he'll get scared and think you're mad at him, in which case, he'll pee. You'd think we beat him or something, but he's never had a hand laid on him in his life. He's not very active. He doesn't play with balls, toys, etc. All that makes him happy is laying next to you, preferably right in your face. What could be his problem, and do you think there's a solution? He's not neutered, could that be the problem? would neutering help? We've tried being as nice as possible with him, with plenty of affection. He gets really excited when we get home, but if we lean down to pet him, he pee's! The only solution is to not lean down to pet him. but still, if he thinks we're mad at him, and he jumps on the couch to sit with us, he'll pee. Otherwise he hardly ever goes in the house.

second, he plays great with other dogs. Would anyone see a problem with a weimaraner being his new buddy? He's not great with big dogs now, he's a little intimidated, but a puppy would be about his size, so i'm guessing he could get used to it. thoughts?

sorry for being so long, just figured i'd give a little info on his personality so you could better judge the kind of dog he is.

Hi. With the mini doxie, I have one too. She had the same problem for about 4 years (but she is 6 now). She finally just quit. Sorry thats all I can tell you. She use to do it really bad for the fist 2-3 years.

If the Weim is submissive then probally not..if oyur doxie is submissive them alos probally not. But there is always a chance. Just intorduce them slowly. My doxie has never had a problem with any of our new doggies..

To your first question- your dog is being submissive. Leaning over your dog is considered a dominant behavior. And when you raise your voice, it interprets that you are angry and he feels the need to show you that he accepts your athourity. He is just telling you that you are the boss. I don't know if there is a way to stop him from doing it or not, but DON'T scold him for it. That will just make it worse. (From what it sounds like, you aren't scolding him for it, so that is good.)

About your seconed question-just supervise carfully and make sure your Weim doesn't think Dachshund is a squeaky toy. I don't think there will be any problem regarding the dogs sizes. You just have to make sure that when they play, the Weim doesn't get to rough.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Getting a Weimie pup might actually help your little guy - IF you get a young puppy (8 - 10 weeks) and IF you get a female. I really wouldn't recommend another male since he is so submissive already.

He needs to have his confidence enhanced. Try teaching him some new things, gently. Be over-the-top with the praise and treats, being careful not to give him too many calories, of course. Mother Hubbard's makes a low-cal treat in large and small sizes that my dogs just love called Couch Potatoes. Mine don't necessarily need the low calories; they just love the treats - that's how good they must taste to dogs. ;) Give him jobs to do, like when you leave, tell him to guard the house; when you return tell him what a good job he did. If you get a puppy, tell him you expect him to help teach the puppy how to be a good dog.
Try putting a little decorative bowl of treats in strategic places in the house, like next to the front door, so you can offer him a little treat when you come in and when you're going to pet him. Show him the treat so he gets the idea that this is not a submissive situation; plus it should distract him enough that he doesn't necessarily think about reacting submissively too the approach - just drooling for the treat. After awhile you can start weaning him off the treats every time. Keep giving him treats every now and then before you pet him, and if he starts to go back to his old problem, start the training again.

I get them at the Agri-Feed and Pet Store where I get my dog food. If you'll go to www.oldmotherhubbard.com , there's a protocol that will let you find a nearby outlet. I put in the downtown zip code for Nashville (from the Davidson County Courthouse address from the Attorney's Directory; I use that little book for ALL sorts of things -lol) and came up with a long list of stores.

Evidently they're now owned by Wellness. I used to buy them for Bear years ago when they were still a little company. He liked them almost as much as he liked pistachios!

My sheltie used to do that to. She woukd pee everytim eshe got excited or scared. I think it is just a pahse that will probably pass.Maybe your dog got in a fight with another dog and is still a bit shaken up a/b it. sorry I couldn't help much. Good luck.

leaughxp

My puppy does the submissive peeing and he is a lab/hound mix. When I asked the trainer she said dachshounds are known for doing it and they grow out of it. I read somewhere that petting him on his sides and chest instead of his back and head can help as it is less intimidating for the dog; he can't see what your hand is doing when it's on his back but he can see if your petting his sides. Also my dog is a lap dog (he won't be able to fit much longer :) ). Someone told me that lab'hound mixes tend to be lap dogs, so maybe it's the hound??? As soon as you sit on the floor, Gunner will run over and crawl into your lap. It's cute until he won't let you get up.

I also have a mini Doxie. He also has the same problem. He's two and is much better then he used to be. He still will pee if I get stern with him. He is just really submissive. He also gets along well with other dogs, but usually takes on the submissive behavior with them as well.

Just be patient...this to shall pass.

Watts

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, i've been on vacation and away from the computer.

I like the treat idea of praising him, but there's a problem. He's the only dog i've ever known to not like treats. He won't eat them. He might take them for a minute, but then he just puts them down. I don't know why he doesn't like them, he just doesn't. I've only seen him eat a treat once, that's when he was around my parents' long haired dachshunds and i think he only ate them because they were. It's weird. I mean, seriously, he doesn't like to do anything besides lay on the couch with you or in bed with you. that's it. well, he likes going for walks and stuff, but that's about it. No toys, no treats, no balls. He's just a different dog. I think i'm gonna try petting him with my palm up and underneath him, like on his chest and sides. I'll try that for awhile and see if it works. Another problem is that he's always around your feet, like while we're cooking or cleaning or whatever, if you're feet slightly, and i mean slightly touch him, he yelps like we're beating him. I dont' know if i can ever fix that, but, it's just another one of those things. any other ideas? He really is a sweet dog, we just wish he would pee when we're trying to be nice to him and yelp when we're not hurting him at all. It's kinda embarrassing when we have company over because they must think we beat him. but really, we've never ever touched him.

as for the Weim, i'm officially looking for one right now. I hope to have one by jan. 7th. If i can find a good breeder around her, for a decent price too.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful ideas. I'm gonna keep trying to give him treats. maybe he just doesn't like the ones we give him, but, we've tried alot!

Members online

No members online now.