back from mexico, and bad neighbors

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
well all, i'm back from my weeklong vacation in mexico! We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso, and it was really nice. The drinks sucked and the food was worse, but it was beautiful and luxurious and relaxing. The bad part was starting Monday I was getting what I assumed was stomach cramps... I blamed all the alcohol and stopped drinking (it's happened before). On Thursday, things got really bad and I was having sharp sudden pains in my left side.. we actually had to reschedule one of our dives. Friday early in the morning I was popping pills like a fiend and finally admitted I'd have to go to the doctor in Mexico (was really holding out for the US). Well, all that, and I have a GI Infection, which is lots of fun, and spent most of Friday in bed.

My three dogs spent the week at my parents' house, and my SO's dogs went to boarding and a relative. I came home to very distressing news for my dogs...

See, my parents are the original owners of their home (30 years), and their neighbors are too. So they've been neighbors for a really long time. Needless to say, we don't get along very well. I remember as a kid playing with their kids, and all of us always had dogs.

Apparently, they have decided that it is their duty to discipline my dogs. You see, their dogs (five German Shepherds, none of which have I ever seen walked and we are talking a suburb area) come storming out of their house barking and snarling straight over to the fence and of course, my dogs run over and they run up and down the fence until I call my dogs away. Their dogs never stop barking. Their dogs will even bark if our pooches aren't in the yard, nonstop. My parents can't garden or anything else, because their dogs just bark bark bark bark bark until eventually they go back inside.

My mom told me that the woman was spraying my dogs with water from the hose for barking at the fence. That in and of itself isn't a huge deal for me, because my dogs LOVE to be sprayed with water, and the stupid woman has undoubtedly seen me playing with the hose with my dogs at some point throughout the years.. What irritates me is that it is not her duty to discipline my dogs. And it's not even discipline, because SHE IS ENCOURAGING THEM TO BARK WITH A REWARD. My mom told her to stop it, but wait for this...

We went over today (got back in the USA yesterday) to celebrate my birthday, which was actually while I was on vacation. My dogs are all out, playing in the pool, having a good time, etc. My parents have a dog too, plus my SO brought a dog and one of my girl friends brought hers too. Their dogs come tearing out barking and snapping right to the fence, where they begin running up and down (as per usual). My dogs, of course, seeing this happen, go running over to join the fun. All our pooches (except my friend's) have good recalls, so it wasn't a huge issue getting the dogs away (it was a huge issue for the neighbors, though), they get a couple barks and they leave. Unlike their dogs that never stop and never leave the fence. The woman was spraying her dogs (with a garden nozzle on) to try to get them to stop (they loved it though). My SO went over to round up his unruly corgi (who was boarded for the week so very energetic) and told the woman she was not to spray our dogs with the hose or he'd have to have words with her. The woman told us that we need to get our dogs under control, and our dogs have always charged the fence (what??), and that she would spray our dogs if we didn't do anything about it. We have always gotten our dogs away from the fence - they usually don't do anything with theirs. It's a new thing that I'm sure they'll get tired of in a few days. Anyhow, then she starts counting down like we're children and that she was going to spray our dogs. At that point, I was more than ready to get MY hose (which I had just gotten done playing with the dogs with) and spray HER with it! What an idiot to spray animals that enjoy being sprayed like it's some kind of punishment.

My SO is mouthy (and so am I, when it comes to the dogs) and had quite a few more things to say to the woman, but of course everything is OUR fault and her dogs are angels. Last year, one of her dogs bit Roofus through the fence and he had a bloody nose that I had to take care of. I don't recall a time when her dogs have not run out the door barking. They are always barking in the house - you can hear it easily. Probably so very bored from the lack of exercise. They are often kept enclosed on their 10x16' patio. She used to be a part of one of the large training companies in the area too, and I would NEVER take my dogs to that place because her dogs are always ill-behaved and aggressive towards mine. Hence why I get my dogs away from the fence ASAP and they just leave theirs to bark, until this extremely recent desire to stop it (like it's something you can instantly stop). I figure someone complained about their dogs' incessant barking and now they're blaming everyone but themselves.

My mom wants a privacy fence (which I have at my house, and it does help *somewhat*, at least we wouldn't have to look at those people anymore), but my dad has been putting up with this crap for 30 years now (like I said, they've always had dogs, and they've always been inconsiderate) and doesn't feel like bothering with it. I want a privacy fence for them too, because I go there many times a week, particularly in summer because we have a pool there, and play a lot with my dogs there since they have a larger yard. I don't feel like getting out of the pool, grabbing the hose, and spraying the woman every time she lets her heathens out (and I understand it's not the dogs' faults, it's the poor training and inconsistent handling they receive from their owners). I'm really sick of these people and their attitudes, whatever you say to them is apparently meaningless. I don't know if their feeble brains can't wrap around the concept, but when their dogs are outside barking furiously at the fence while I pull some weeds and my dogs are shut inside the house (or not even at my parents' house), that kinda strikes me as not being my fault....

i hate people.

B

Backward_Cinderella

I don't know if I would have been able to resist spraying that woman. What a b*tch! I think a privacy fence might be a good idea, what do they have? Just a regular chain link fence?

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
yeah, it's just a regular 4' chainlink.

my mom has actually wanted a privacy fence as long as I can recall. I told her my SO, my best friend, and I would help install it if she wanted. If she gets it, she's putting the ugly side facing them.

B

Backward_Cinderella

LOL! Good idea...
Have they thought about maybe asking said neighbors if they'd go 50/50 for the cost? They dislike you guys as much as you dislike them, it sounds like. They might go for it, never know!

If it's a line fence, they're responsible for half the cost in most places ;)

A quick fix would be to get those slats that weave through the chain link - but a 6 or 7 foot privacy fence would be the ticket. Tall enough they can't see over it :D

Oh man Suz... let me come over there... I'll spray her :p I hate inconsiderate jerks like that.

I hope you had fun on your vacation even though ya got sick.. did you drink the water? I hope you're feeling better.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
GOD, that is so annoying!

I hate it when people are completely hypocritical about their dogs. I think some people just get used to hearing their own dogs bark... and it becomes only other dogs barking that's annoying.

My neighbors do the same thing. They have a hyper ESS, who runs to the fence every time she's outside. My dogs run to the fence, but they don't even bark. Gonzo whines occasionally because he really wants to play with her. We're always out with them, and we immediately call them back, and they come. They never even bother to call their dog. She keeps running back and fourth, and making a noise that I can only describe as a howler monkey in heat. But they'll yell "Shut those dogs up!" or "Get all of those dogs away from the fence!" (all 2 of them). Uhhh, ok. Your shrieking, disobedient angel is being corrupted by my evil dogs, obviously. D:

I don't feel it's worth it to argue with him... but if he was spraying my dogs, even though they would love it too, I would spray him back! With a super-soaker full of acid. ; ) haha. But seriously, they sound like a pain. We have a privacy fence, and it helps a little, because the dogs can't see each other and couldn't hurt each other. I hope your parents can put one up.

Also, SUCKS about getting sick in Mexico. I hope you feel better soon!

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
i forgot to mention a few things so i'll add 'em here...

the woman next door tried to stare down my friend's chocolate lab mix when she ran to the fence (and her dog definitely is a problem barker). I found that amusing. Who tries to stare down a crazy ass dog? My parents' neighbors! She also called my dogs "vicious..." my dogs that go to doggie day care and dog parks and have play dates. Not HER dogs that bite my dogs through the fence and show me their teeth... *sigh*

AND, while we were in Mexico, our bank put a block on all our debit cards so we couldn't use them (except at the ATM). I nearly couldn't get my prescriptions filled because none of our cards would work. Apparently, you're supposed to inform your bank if you are traveling anywhere (unknown to me) or they will make sure you have no money to travel with. And they aren't nice about it either - it's YOUR fault your card doesn't work. For my card they called my parents because my mom is also on my account. Even though she told them I was in Mexico, they wouldn't release my card until I called (which I didn't know about until I was back in the USA).

i hate people.

Members online

No members online now.