The not so mini Mini Schnauzer

Miss Jack

Jack 27/09/94-06/12/07
Scooby is just over 21 weeks now. I've just measured him (as best as I can considering is wrigglyness) and he is already as tall if not a bit taller than the breed standard.

His Mum and Dad were exactly the right size I didn't see his siblings because Scooby was the last puppy left (the breeder had him an extra two weeks because his original buyer backed out). The breeder did think he'd be bigger than average as he was the biggest pup and had very big (for a Mini Schnauzer) paws.

As I'm never going to be interested in showing him and I'm used to Airedales I'm not bothered how big he gets. I know once he's at his full height he will fill out but does anyone here have experience on at what approx age smaller dogs have done growing up.

I've only had experience with Airedales and it takes them about 12 months to get their height then another 6ish months to put on the muscle but I guess as Scooby has less to grow he will have finished sooner.

I've read some other sites and books and everyone seems to have different opinions some say it takes 9 months but if he's going to keep growing for another 4 months he'll be a Giant Schnauzer!

He does seem to have 'grown' into his paws now. Although my brother commented that while I thought I'd met his mum and dad I'd actually met his mum and his step dad and his real dad was a wolf ;)

Anyway while I'm waiting for any opinions I'm thinking of starting a sweep-stake bets taken on whether I have a mini a standard a giant Schnauzer or a wolf hybrid :lol-sign:

lizzybeth727

I don't know exactly how long it takes schnauzers to reach their full height. I think it all has a LOT to do with the indivuidual breed, so maybe someone who's had a schnauzer puppy can give more details. I do know, though, that small breeds reach full size much sooner than large breeds (Great Danes could keep growing until they're 2), so I think by 5 months you've probably only got a few inches to go.

(I talked to a lady once with a 8 week old malteese, and she promised me that the breeder said the puppy was almost full grown. Wow.)

Members online

No members online now.