Need some bunny input

GipsyQueen

I have a bunny that I took over from a friend a little over a year ago. He wasn't getting great food and not too much movement. In the year we've had him, he's had 2 bladder stones - the first one was huge. The second one was big, but not AS big. :( He also had a cold inbetween... basically he's rather sickly. :(

So this morning I checked on him and went to give him his food & fresh water. He has blood in his urin again. :( Which means he's most likely got another bladder stone. :(

We decided after his last surgery, that if it happens again, we'd let him go because surgery every 6 months and antibiotics all the time just isn't fair to the poor guy. :(
However, I played with him and cuddled and he was just his same old self... now I'm not so sure about our choice. Any imput? Did anyone have this happen?
We switched his food, he follows a strick diet plan, but obviously it's not helping. I feel like I failed him. =/

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I have on advice, just sorry he won't get better. I hope you find an answer.

Elrohwen

I'm really sorry to hear about the poor bun!

I don't really have advice since you said you've changed his diet. What is he eating now? I know someone who had good results with a no-pellet diet, though she had to be careful to get him enough variety in veggies. Limiting veggies with higher calcium levels may also help. I can ask her for more specifics if you want, but I'd imagine you're doing similar things.

I don't blame you for not wanting to keep him going with frequent surgeries and antibiotics - that's really hard on such a little animal.

GipsyQueen

Thank you!

Luckly it was just a spoof - he bounced back to normal a day later, which is slightly odd. The vet guessed it may have been a small stone that passed on it's own. (OUCH :eek: )

Yeah he's on a no-pellet, no-grain diat, but I feel like he's not getting enough food - like ALL the time (He should be getting enough, and he's not fat), he's just hungry alllll the time.

Members online

No members online now.