French Bulldogs

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I took Joey (mom's Cockatiel) to his new home last night and spent a good hour talking with his new owner and playing with her dogs. She had four rescue maltese mixes and had just acquired a new foster dog about two weeks ago - a two year old dark fawn/masked male french bulldog. He was just...gorgeous. As in, I normally don't drool over the looks of most Frenchie's I meet but he was just stunning. Great structure, great weight, great coat, great health. I inquired about him and she said he was from a breeder in Missouri who felt he was too big for her breeding program, so she surrendered him to the rescue to place into a pet home. He was raised in a kennel setting, so she's currently working with him on day to day manners - leash walking, house breaking, kennel training, socialization, etc. (Although considering her own dogs were total spazzes, I'm really hoping she doesn't just make things worse. :rolleyes:)

From the little time I spent with him, I just adored him. He seemed to be very stable in temperament/easygoing (one of her Maltese kept snarking at him and he didn't retaliate in the slightest), playful, quiet, inquisitive, friendly, and responsive - just what I like. Although I probably shouldn't have, I told her when he is up for adoption to let me know as I am very interested. The timing probably won't work out, but I thought just in case...
In all reality, getting a smaller dog would work out so much better for me, although I'm being stubborn and won't admit it because I've always had big dogs. lol
She said I'd be the first person she contacts when he's ready to be placed up for adoption, which she wasn't expecting to take place until the summer.

So. On the off chance the timing does work out and he is the dog I think he is - what can you tell me about French Bulldogs? I know them as jolly little snorters that love everybody and go crazy for a game of tug where they hang off the rope in your hand off the ground. LOL

My main concern would be about having a brachy breed due to heat intolerance...could owners with brachy breeds chime in on that? I really want to be able to take my next dog everywhere with me if at all possible, and going for walks/hikes is something I really enjoy doing. Would that pose a problem with a brachy dog?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
One of my co-workers breeds/shows Frenchies. I LOVE her young male. He's Keeva's BFF and they go nuts together. Her dogs have great temperaments for my tastes. They're food driven and have surprisingly good toy/prey drive - love to tug. They're active and spunky and I love it.

But I could never own one. They can't breed, can't swim, have a bunch of flat-face issues, and a ton of issues regarding generally poor health - and she is VERY dedicated to health. On Tuesday she told me she was thinking of getting out of the breed because of the health issues - one of her studs is 8 and already REALLY going down hill. She said it's just too hard to watch and she feels the breed is almost too far gone to really improve. :( I felt really bad for her. Even if I agree, it made me really sad to see her so disheartened.

But I do love the little guys, as far as temperament goes. Do keep in mind, however, that they still act like bulldogs - at least her's. And I mean BULLDOGS. They are not usually DA per say but when they fight they grip and do not release unless forced too, they have a high pain tolerance, etc.

So... yeah. I find them surprisingly appealing in temperament but I just can't deal with the health issues.

ETA: PS I can ask her directly about hiking/heat tolerance, if you want. :)

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Not my type of dog to own (I like softer, gentler herding breeds) but OMG I've loved every one I've met! Such fun little dogs. My best friend is hopefully getting one and I can't wait LOL.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I adore them. I thought I was running out of agility steam and was looking at frenchies seriously. Sadly out of the frenchie rescue they still often charge 2500-3000, and the only breeder here I found I liked was 3500. Little out of my price range. Puppy three will be another cocker when the time is right, and I'm willing to pay the higher end of cocker prices... I know there's a lot to breeding frenchies, but I can't justify those costs.

*blackrose

I'm not sure what the rescue will be charging for an adoption fee - I don't think it is a Frenchie rescue, just an all breed that pulls dogs in need. I'll be getting more information from her later. I can pay a few hundred in fees, but I defintely couldn't afford multiple thousands.

I agree about the health issues and that does concern me and is why I'd never actively seek one out, but his build seems a lot less extreme to me than others I've seen. He's a bit bigger, a bit leggier, and his face is more evenly distributed and not so flat. I'm hoping that his structure indicates a chance of less health issues.

Bulldog temperament doesn't bother me in the slightest - that's my favorite kind. :D

And Emily, if you could ask her, that'd be great. It isn't a huge, huge issue, but I'd really like whatever dog I have to be able to, well, be a dog and keep up with Cynder and Chloe when we go out. I'd hate having to leave him behind due to it not being safe.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Frenchies were one of the breeds we were considering when we ended up getting Watson. I have never met a Frenchie that was not an absolute darling. We decided against one because we do like to go hiking and were concerned about the possible problems with heat and activity.

I still follow FBRN (French Bulldog Rescue Network) which is one of the bigger Frenchie rescues and they always have great dogs available all over the US it seems.

Following them and their rescues also gives you a good idea what some of the prevalent health issues are that owners have to deal with. :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I've never met an ill tempered frenchie, and they are quite popular. They seem to just be happy, lovable little dogs!

(+ heat tolerance wise, they seem to do OK even in Miami hot humid weather, much more-so than english bulldogs)

Maxy24

I have only actually met like 2 in person, I've seen a lot but haven't actually interacted with may. One was in homegoods (no, dogs are not allowed in homegoods lol) and was chill and sweet. Then I met one at the "dog park" (not a dog park but might as well be) ad he was super funny. He snorted which freaked Tucker out at first because he sounded like he was growling. The main thing that stuck out to me was that he was physical. Most of the dogs at the park do the play bowing, chase, run, chase, fly by collision, more running, playbow, stop and sniff, play bow, run etc. This dog wanted nothing to do with all of that, he sniffed with Tucker, they made friends, and then the frenchie immediately tried getting on top of him/paw slapping him and mouthing on him. So they wrestled with a little bit of chase in between. The funniest part was when they were playing chase the frenchie tried to cut Tucker off (Tucker's fast, frenchies not so much) and completely failed to notice that I was there and smashed right into my legs full force and like collapsed into me before bouncing back. Poor dear. I recon he's quite the goof ball at home too.

Not really any help, but where else am I going to share the story :p

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Frenchies are adorable and one of my favorite to play with small breeds. I'd never have one because they just don't fit with my lifestyle but they are the most darling little clowns.

This is Beignet. The cowbell is because she's deaf as a post (not uncommon, though not often talked about either for some really bizarre reason) but she's a total sweetheart. I see her owner at dog groups for both pug and bostons, because there's not a Frenchie group in the area.

DSC_0269 by Stephanie Owen/CrazyDog Photography, on Flickr

*blackrose

You are all supposed to say, "No, Frenchies are horrible dogs, it's a bad idea" because now I'm really starting to hope the timing works out. :lol-sign:

And a clarification on the hiking: it is more like extreme trail walking. Going to the local parks around here is something we enjoy doing, which is mainly just trails through woods. About once or twice a year (more often, if I have the time and money) I like to head down to the state parks and go hiking on their trails for half a day or so. I'm not talking about hard core mountain hiking.

I unfortunately don't have any pictures of him. But here are some pictures I pulled off of google that look mostly like him! LOL

Nothing remotely helpful to add except that all the ones I have met are dolls. In fact Radar and I met one at the beach today, it was adorable and I wanted to steal it. Even Radar liked it and he is a snob.

*blackrose

If you do get a Frenchie be sure to post lots and lots of pictures :D
If I get a Frenchie, it will be this Frenchie. I'm not really looking to go out of my way to adopt or purchase one, but all of my other dogs have basically just fallen into my lap, why not my next one! Chloe was supposed to be a Basset Hound, after all. LOL

But yes, obviously pictures would be required. If it happens, it won't be until around May, though, so it'll be awhile. ;)

Members online

No members online now.