Home Cooked Food/Nutrience Guide

pitbulliest

For anyone that is interested in home cooked diets, I know how hard it can be to find good information. I did alot of research on this a few months ago and I would like to share the information that I found with you guys. It is general information and you would have to apply it to your dog based on the animal's weight, age, etc:

----------

Weight Measures:
1 Cup = 16 tbsp= 8 fl ounces= ½ pint= ¼ quart= .24 liter
1 Tbsp = 3 tsp= ½ fl ounce= 15 milliliters
1 Liter = 1.06 quarts= 4.24 cups
1 Pound = 16 ounces= 454 grams= .45 kilogram= 2 cups
1 Ounce = 28.35 grams= .06 pounds

1 tsp of eggshell powder (ground eggshells) = 1800 mg of calcium

ca to ph requirements for dogs:
Calcium : Phosphorus = 1.2 : 1

------------

-----------

(*) = feed in moderation as large amounts can be toxic!
Meats: Turkey and sheep are the least polluted. Do not feed liver more than 1x weekly.
Organ meats: Kidney, heart, liver, brain, tripe.
Veggies: Carrots, sprouts, corn, peas, green beans, potatoes, beets, turnips, squash, spinach, chard, parsley, *broccoli, *cauliflower, collards, kale, *green onions, *garlic, cucumber.
Raw Meat = 2% body weight for dogs is preferable.

-------------

Healthy Powder: 2 cups nutritional yeast / 1 ½ cups bone meal powder / ½ cup kelp
Oil Mix: 1 ¾ cups vegetable oil / ¼ cup cod liver oil / 50 I.U vitamin E (prevents spoils)

(this is just a guide...readjust as you see fit)

-------------

Fatty vs. Lean Meats
a) Fatty Meats: regular ground hamburger, roaster chicken, lamb (neck, shoulder, leg, chops), pork chops, chuck, roast, ground chuck, brains, tongue, sirloin steak, fatty beef heart.
b) Medium Fatty Meats: fryer chicken (necks, backs, wings), turkey heart, mackerel, lean hamburger, fryer rabbit, ground round, herring, sardines, shad.
c) Lean Meats: beef or chicken liver or heart, kidney, tuna canned in oil, fryer chicken (gizzard, drumsticks, thighs or whole), turkey (whole, ground, or dark meat), carp, salmon, catfish.
d) Very Lean Meats: tuna canned in water, turkey breast, red snapper, perch, cod, halibut, haddock, bass, abalone, snail, squid, smelt, pollock, sole.

---------------

Sources:
Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
Natural Nutrition: The Ultimate Diet for Dogs and Cats by Kymythy Schultze
Raw Dog Food by Carina Beth MacDonald

It is probably a better idea to do some good research, and once you get a hang of how much of each ingredient/nutrience your dog or cat needs, make your own recipe....some of these are way too high in carbs and grains in my opinion. Here are two of some of my recipes that I use for my dog as an example:

Beef and Chicken Mixup:
green beans, 100g
carrots, 100 g
beets, 100 g
oatmeal, ½ cup
1 medium sized egg
flax seed, 1 tbsp
chicken thighs, 900 g
beef heart, 500 g
daily supplements
1 ¾ teaspoons of eggshell powder

For bulk version, multiply ingredients by 2 and use 3 1/2 teaspoons of eggshell powder. feed 2 ¼ cups to 55lb dog and ½ cup to 10-15lb dog, daily.

Chicken Special:
bulk recipe
celery, 200 g
carrots, 200 g
zucchini, 200 g
chicken breast (boneless), 900 g (4 cups)
chicken drumstick meat, 900 g
chicken hearts and gizzards (combined), 900 g
2 eggs
parsley, 200 g
2-4 cups rice (I usually use 2 1/2)
2 tbsp flax seed
3 1/4 teaspoons of eggshell powder
add supplements (oil and healthy mix)

Remember, these recipes are made for MY dogs based on their weight and age and breed. If your dog is active, it'll change...if your dog is lazy, it'll change. Good luck with your research and have fun cooking for your dog LOL. Oh, and its ok to feed kibble....we're human..and its impossible to cook for your dog all the time. ;)

That's some good, practical information on home-cooking food for your dog. Thanks for posting it, Pitbulliest!

Dena, my dogs' idea of a treat is receiving the last bite off my plate, leftovers, pan drippings on their dog food, whatever they catch, or in Shiva and Kharma's case, whatever they steal. :rolleyes: To be honest, since I started them on the EVO, they don't attack treats with any more enthusiasm than they do their dogfood!

Members online