Fabulous Breeders

R

RedyreRottweilers

Because most of them don't act like the (mostly) excellent thoughtful intelligent polite and well spoken teens on THIS board.

;)

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Glad to hear you know the Redcloud lines! I am so impressed with them overall. My young girl, Khana, has 21 Redcloud dogs in her four generation pedigree. I was looking for a bitch to work in performance events and found Khana. I feel so lucky to have her.

I really like Akitas too .. my good friend has Akitas and shows her male in conformation and has a rally title on him too. I don't know the lines of her dog, though. He's a handsome boy but pretty sharp in temperament and downright obnoxious as a young dog .. *L* .. he's mellowed as he's gotten older though. I'm hoping she will put obedience titles on him as well as rally.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
I am a huge enthusiast of the Chow, Akita and more recently the Shikoku, though I can't find any Shikoku breeders hardly.

Are there any kennels for Chows that you recommend handsdown?
I always check around online, but even through club referrals, I am extremely wary of just websites.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
though I can't find any Shikoku breeders hardly.
I hear you on this one- I became really interested in this breed when I was researching my current breed (Shibas). I looked all over the place for breeders in the US, but frankly wasn't able to find anything I really liked. Turns out, they're not even all that popular in their NATIVE country either, which makes them especially hard to get ahold of. At some point I'd love to import one...but it will be a long time from now.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I hear you on this one- I became really interested in this breed when I was researching my current breed (Shibas). I looked all over the place for breeders in the US, but frankly wasn't able to find anything I really liked. Turns out, they're not even all that popular in their NATIVE country either, which makes them especially hard to get ahold of. At some point I'd love to import one...but it will be a long time from now.
I found that out too. I guess we'll both be waiting a while for a Shikoku!
I love Shibas, and my interest in the Shikoku was brought on by Shibas in the first place. We have a Shiba Inu rescue here, and it's possible I'll be adopting from them someday, if I don't find a Chow Chow breeder I like first.

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
There's a shikoku breeder not too far from me! They breed shibas as well. :)

I have to say that it's hard for me to find a breeder I REALLY really love because I'd have to really know them and their dogs. But I truly hope one day that someone will put me on their list of favourite breeders. :) My next breeding isn't until 2009, so I have time to build up a fan base until then LOL! :D

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
There's a shikoku breeder not too far from me! They breed shibas as well. :)
Bet it's Akashima?!
I have looked at them but not extensively. I'd love to talk to them and ask questions though, when I have the time. I hate to do that though unless I'm actually about to inquire about buying, I always feel as if I'm bothering them, LOL.
:rolleyes:

I have really enjoyed this thread and have learned so much on the forum about what makes a great breeder. I was very lucky to get my Manchester terrier, Zippy from a wonderful breeder--I really didn't know all the things to look for at the time, but lucked out and found a great breeder anyway. (this might have been partly because Manchesters are kind of rare--not a big market for them at the moment....) Zippy came from Burmack Kennels -- to see their gorgeous dogs check out their website at http://www.kismet.net/burmack/
Burmack has a history of producing some of the top Manchester show dogs in the country--but what most impressed me was how courteous, professional and supportive the owner was to me -- an absolute newcomer to Manchesters looking for a pet quality puppy. I was questioned thoroughly but never made to feel uncomfortable, I was provided with tons of information and a wonderful package of goodies and info to take home with my 9 month old pup--who has gorgeous conformation and is in peak condition-- but a bit too shy for the ring--Zippy just wanted to play and curl up with a favorite person and that is exactly the home they found for him. I also had to sign a lengthy spay/neuter and expected level of care contract. He was microchipped and the breeder remains an alternate contact.
I have had Zippy a little under a year and his breeder and I keep in touch regularly--it is really heart warming to see the care he has for all his dogs--show dogs or not. I would absolutely love to get another dog from Burmack in the future. If any one has any interest in Manchesters I would highly, highly recommend them. I feel so fortunate that I sort of just found them by accident---and I'm also glad that in the future I won't have to depend on luck--I know what to look for in a breeder and what to ask--that is yet another reason why Chaz is so awesome!

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
I am a huge enthusiast of the Chow, Akita and more recently the Shikoku, though I can't find any Shikoku breeders hardly.

Are there any kennels for Chows that you recommend handsdown?
I always check around online, but even through club referrals, I am extremely wary of just websites.
I haven't purchased directly from Zola Coogan and the Redcloud Kennels, but I would in a heartbeat. There's also Paula Titon who co-owns the sire of my girl. She is actively working her chows in obedience and agility (as well as showing in conformation) and she's working toward dogs that are versatile as well as healthy and with excellent temperaments. I don't know if Paula has a kennel name though. I have her email address if you are interested in contacting her. Zola is not online at all, I think. I've only spoken to her by phone.

My problem in the breed is finding chows that have the physical build and mental capability to do performance events. Most of the show breeders seem to care little about obedience and agility and are breeding for what they think will win in the conformation ring. Many of them only check hips (if they check anything). I have no faith in the breeders who are part of the national club, unfortunately. One who is listed on the CCCI website was recently shown to be little more than a glorified puppy mill.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

DanL

We were very impressed with our Dane breeder. The health testing she does, her views on over vaccination, how much she cares for her dogs and the breed in general were all great points.

Gunnar's breeder is more of a hobbyist. She does basic health testing and works her dogs but she didn't "interview" us before placing Gunnar with us. If she didn't work her dogs and test them I'd consider her a BYB. She does care about the breed and her dogs are from good German stock and she doesn't overbreed the females.

Bruzer came from an elderly couple who bred 2 oversized out of standard, overweight pugs because they loved puppies. Clearly a BYB. Luckily he's been a healthy, vigorous dog and aside from being a bit shy, has no temperament issues.

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Bet it's Akashima?!
LOL! I was wondering the same thing! I've looked at their program along with one or two others as well. It occurred to me that I really oughta start finding some rare breed shows too. My Shiba breeder doesn't have a website, and in fact, very few of the breeders I deal with do. I found them all through conformation shows/events, and I'm thinking that's the best way to find a Shikoku as well. It's so much easier when you can meet and see the dogs in person.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Just wanted to post a picture or two of the Akitas I mentioned of the breeder I adore.

Rubix

Rhythm

Focus

:D Many more beautiful dogs from her too.
And her kennel set-up is gorgeous.

Oh! I would love an Akita! They are gorgeous dogs! But, not for me. :( shrugs, oh well, my goal is to meet one! :D

Since I'm new here, I'm a little late for this thread but I figured that I'd post my comment for the forum to see. When it comes to the breed that is the love of my life (Rottweilers) I must admit that I'm a BIG fan of Rebekah from Redyre Rottweilers. She is an honest,ethical,and a true ambassador for this very misunderstood breed. She to me, is an AWESOME breeder and one that I'm proud to announce as a great breeder.

Well, besides Tibetan Mastiffs, my next favourite dog is the Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever. And my absoulute favourite breeder is Tollwest Kennels. Besides her location being totally out of my reach (shes in canada), I agree with her vaccinations, her motive to breed, and all her dogs are gorgeous.

www.tollwest.com

edit - omg, she has puppies available too! *ponders*

Lizmo

Water Junkie
One other breeder that I found out about a little while ago is Fieldstone Border Collies.

OMG....Wow. http://www.fieldstonebordercollies.com/main.html

Very gorgeous dogs. I have emailed them a few times and Christine is very nice person to talk to and very open about her and David's dogs. They are some of the best lines in the country....from what I have heard, and own Eve's sire. :)

Members online

No members online now.