Paper Training- need help

JB06

Hello everyone,I am new to this forum. I purchased my puppy from a pet store in Feb and he was already paper trained. He is now six months old due to the fact that I do not always have an opurtunity to walk him and beacuse he is left home alone,I still encourage him to use the paper. I did not have any problems with him going on the paper until two weeks ago he stopped using it for number 2 he only pees on it. I dont know why but I cant seem to get him to use it for both anymore. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. thanks again.

Saje

Island dweller
Well first of all you probably got a puppy mill puppy and they aren't raised in great conditions. They tend to be a lot harder to housetrain so that will be an obstacle for you.

What kind of dog is this? I'm not a fan of teaching a dog to pee in the house but I guess it works for some people. You need to walk your dog at least once a day so why don't you start doing that and see how the housebreaking goes.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I'm with Saje..

If your dog is small enough - use at least a litterbox instead of paper.
I know a woman who litter trained her pug because they live in a apartment...

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
many chihuahua owners litter train there dogs, simply because its easier and their dogs are smal enough for it, you can get special litter and litter pans for it,
what breed of dog do you have?
maybe ask about litter training on a chihuahua forum and they could tell you how some of them do it, i know quite a few people on this forum: chihuahua-people.com have litter trained their dogs!

Saje

Island dweller
I don't like littertraining or paper training because it doesn't motivate you to take your dog out. All dogs love/need fresh air and exercise to live happy, healthy lives.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I totally agree with Saje! If you don't have the time/patience to take your puppy outside to play and go potty several times a day, don't get a puppy. =P

My husband litter-trained our chihuahua, and when it's subarctic around here in the winter, we all appreciate it. During the summer he never uses it - we walk him 3-4 times a day, but he can't stand the cold winters.

Saje - I agree that for most dogs, litter/paper training is a sorry excuse for a lazy owner, but littertraining CAN work for some dogs. Our chihuahua is 3-legged, and as he gets older it's harder for him to go outside. He has limited mobility as it is, and without the litterbox he'd be suffering in -20 degree weather!

Plus, a bonus! Dog pee doesn't smell nearly as bad as cat pee. :D

Roxy's CD

I think that paper training is an easier step towards teaching your dog to go outside. Puppies need to go out a lot, paper training is great for all those times that they don't make it out.

It also teaches the pup that there are place where "going" is acceptable and places where it is not. After the pup is paper trained (I did it with both of my dogs) it's a heck of a lot easier to teach them to go outside. Think of it as a "transitional stage".

My girl did that too. She would poop about a foot from the paper. I don't really know if this is why, but this is what I told myself.lol
She was about 6 months old, and getting bigger. The paper was on a linoleum floor. I think when they squat to go poop the paper slips and it's very uncomfortable, so they know their supposed to go on the paper but it's uncomfortable so they try to negotiate by going as close to the paper as possible. I never got her out of the habit, but she did get to the age where she could hold her poop long enough to go outside. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions as to FIX the problem but I HAVE experienced it as well and that's the explaination I came up with.

Saje

Island dweller
I can't agree with paper training making it easier to housebreak. You are essentially teaching your dog to pee inside and outside and that just confuses him. It may work for some dogs but in most cases I think it slows the process down at the very least.

Roxy's CD

I dont' look at it as "teaching them to pee inside", but teaching them that there are places where it is allowed. ie) On the paper: if you have to leave them alone, or outside where hopefully by the age of 3 months you can have them doing it outside consistently.

Saje

Island dweller
Yeah but you are teaching them that it's ok to pee inside. They don't know the difference. My puppy will pee in the same spot whether there is paper there or not.

Members online

No members online now.