What breeds?

Zhucca

Lab Love
Your wants are pretty much exactly like mine, except I have pretty strict coat requirements and want a larger dog. I know you already shut the idea down, but Duke matches all those things on your list. He's 5lbs heavier than your max weight though. However it would definitely be more of an individual in the breed than a general breed match. Finding the right breeder would be the key.

Aussie, english shepherd and Koolie definitely seem like the better choices. Gotta be into the retriever thing to fully enjoy a Labrador.

Thanks! They definitely sound like a breed with a fabulous temperament that I think I'd enjoy a lot. Wish they were more common to get to meet some.

English shepherds are the same way but I worry a bit more that they may not be drivey enough.

Y'all all need to make road trips to Oklahoma. ;)
I think that is a fair concern about an ES, I don't know how 'drivey' they can be. But, there is A LOT of variation in the breed and I think you could find a drivey ES.

When it is time to get another puppy (5 ish years), one of the breeders I am currently super interested in is in OK.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Really? I think I may have stumbled onto their website a while back. English shepherds do sound like fabulous dogs.

So many breeds I want to try. XD

I know I'm late to the thread, but you seem like you'd be a good fit for English Shepherds. Such cool dogs.

I'm not big on sporting dogs, either. I'm not sure why, because all the ones I've met I've just adored. I used to have a rally class with a lady who has flat coats, and her 9 month old puppy was way more focused then Miz Naughty. Miz Naughty tends to get bored with obedience though. He was so handsome!

I knew another lady who had Portuguese Water Dogs...Not a fan of the show haircut, myself, but boy those guys sure have energy to burn!

They seem a bit more independent then some of the other retrievers, but they have a sense of humor about training that I find very endearing.

Sekah

The Monster.
- Size doesn't matter for this really. <50 lbs?
- coat doesn't matter
- Energy level- moderate to high with great off switch. Puts in a lot of effort when need be but also is totally cool to sleep part of the day.
- Extremely high biddability and desire to work with you.
- Some sort of high useable drive (for us it's food but could be anything. Doesn't need to be mal level or anything. But at any rate a dog that is easily motivated)
- Extremely people friendly. Very outgoing that way.
- very athletic/likes to jump.
- Very suited to agility training/fast. (essentially lightly built)
- dog friendliness- not necessarily a dog park dog but can live peacefully with other dogs easily
- relatively sensitive personality. But also very confident. I am not sure if I am wording that correctly. Not a very hard or sharp kind of dog?
- Very confident with surroundings and new things. Takes everything in stride. Maybe not as prone to needing such extensive socialization like Mia does and a lot of breeds I like do.
-Happy/up personality. Easily excited, lol. I guess some would say just a touch hyper.
- Extremely handler oriented/velcro

Bonus: toy drive and likes water (which is a trait I don't have at the moment lol)
I think it's pretty normal to read lists like this and think "hey, that sounds like my dog/breed"... and that's what I'm doing.

It sounds a lot like you'd like an Aussie. Just as always, do your homework and find a breeder who's breeding from lines you like.

Size - Cohen is ~37 pounds and is on the small end for a standard Aussie. I love her small sporty size. She's oddly long in body, but has good leg length all things considered. Obviously most Aussies go a bit bigger, with 40-45 pounds being normal for females. Males as always are normally larger.

Energy - Cohen is medium/high energy. She'll go all day if I ask her to, but as she tires she gets more obstinate and less sensitive. My last Aussie was a family pet and he was a total couch potato. As always, it'll depend on the lines and individual dogs. I don't know any Aussies personally who are faster/more energetic than Cohen, but I know they exist. Cohen will sleep throughout a day from time to time, but she really needs some sort of outlet 1-2 times a day. She'll sign/whine, and will jump to attention the moment you shift your weight.

Biddability: Cohen is very biddable, and has been since she was a puppy. I see lots of Aussies (mostly bench bred lines) who are more stubborn and more inclined to search out their own fun.

Drive: Aussies seem to have food drive coming out the wazoo, and most are naturally toy driven. I find the toy drive needs to be fostered for it to really grow to a level where it would be usable in training. I kind of flubbed building Cohen's toy drive, but it's still decent.

People friendliness: Cohen loooooooves her people. If there are ~other people~ around she couldn't care less unless they have food. Ambivalent is the word. A trainer friend of mine used to joke that Cohen hated her. I told her to feed/work with Cohen a bit. After a few weeks/months of working her, my dog now flips out when she sees my friend and turns herself inside out in excitement when she enters the room. Some Aussies I know are more naturally friendly, but most are pretty aloof.

Athletic: Yep. Some bench bred/fattie Aussies can be pretty boring, but I think if they're kept in the right condition the athleticism comes naturally with the drive.

Build: Aussies are a bit heavy in bone, generally. But again the sports/working bred ones I've seen have really nice moderate builds. I think Cohen's is quite nice, with the exception of her long loin. Again, assuming the dog is of the proper lines, fostering speed should be easy. But they're not so fast that you'll find yourself constantly frustrated.

Dog friendliness: I wouldn't call the breed dog friendly. In my mind, best case scenario is for them to be ambivalent/aloof around other dogs. But I've seen exceptions to the rule. Reactivity can definitely be a thing, but can be managed to unnoticeable levels.

Sensitivity: Cohen is very in tune with me, but very resilient. Sometimes maddeningly so. She's a poor candidate for any sort of punishment based training because a harsh word won't faze her, and the few times when I've lost my temper with her she just lets it roll right off her back. I don't think I've ever seen her shut down.

Confidence: Cohen is naturally pretty confident in new areas. Where her confidence fails is around other strange, large dogs. If the other dogs are working, she'll work alongside, but if they react towards her she'll get intimidated and react right back. As I said above, I've never seen her shut down, and I never see her afraid to try something new with me.

Personality: Cohen is pretty serious, but most Aussies are pretty light hearted. I admit, I like the seriousness.

Velco: Cohen is totally velco and will stick with me in just about any situation. I can't remember the last time I was able to walk into another room alone. She's always on my heels. However, she'll work for just about anyone in short spurts - she's pass off-able. It's really helpful in performance situations, and it's really nice to be able to hand her to a friend and sit back and watch her run. You just need to be familiar enough with her know her quirks, and you're good to go.

Toy drive: As I mentioned, this one may not be as naturally strong, but it can be built.

Water: Cohen doesn't like going into the water any deeper than where she can touch. My last dog was the same way. She loves wading. Most Aussies I know are great in water though, and can be killer dock diving dogs.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I've never met a griff, but have had people suggest them before. I will admit I am a little bit nervous with sporting breeds because I think of them as being a lot more frantic and needing physical energy outlets vs breeds needing mental energy outlets. I am much more used to (and I think suited for) the latter. No real experience with vizsla either but one of the other trainers has a young one. I'll have to watch it as she trains it.

My trainer always is saying Summer reminds her of a border collie. In some ways she does but I find she's a lot more even keeled than most BCs and a lot more up and happy go lucky. And definitely not as driven as most BCs. It's of course an idea I've had on my mind for a while and probably a very likely choice for one of my next couple dogs.
I think a lot of gundogs are just as happy being mentally challenged as they are physically! The only thing I would say, is they can be a bit thick headed. They are often used to being very far away from their handler, so can be independent and stubborn. Vislas are (to my knowledge) considered softer than gsp.

I don't think a gsp would have the trainer focus... It's the one thing I do miss in Freddie, he does nothing unless there is something in it for him, you have to get his attention with something, or you're screwed.

Vizla might be a good choice though, and a bitch would be quite small and light.

Honestly though, if you want to do dog sports, there's a reason herders are picked over a lot of gundogs!!

JacksonsMom

I think that is a fair concern about an ES, I don't know how 'drivey' they can be. But, there is A LOT of variation in the breed and I think you could find a drivey ES.

When it is time to get another puppy (5 ish years), one of the breeders I am currently super interested in is in OK.
I have a major want for an ES in the future. I've always been interested in BC's, but think their personality is a little too... much for me, I guess. But I've had somewhat limited experience. The ones I got to experience up close and personal with were my agility trainers 3 BC's, all rescues, and all somewhat different but still had that same intensity about them that may be a bit too much for me. I guess I was thinking I would meet them and fall in love in real life, but I didn't really.

And then I love Golden Retrievers but they're often a bit TOO soft for me and TOO friendly. I think ES's sound like a good in between and a good way for me to be introduced to herders. They're one of the breeds I'm seriously contemplating. I kind of just wish they were a bit smaller and lighter bonded (I definitely prefer the body type of BC's).

And as far as large dogs go, for some reason, Jackson really likes herders. He highly dislikes the play of most retrievers, bully's, etc. But herding-type breeds, he meshes very well with.

I would guess that's something else you're looking for? Breeds that would be good with the Paps?

Ok, I already have plans for what Nextdog will be but I was just curious what breeds come to mind when I describe this:

- Size doesn't matter for this really. <50 lbs?

Koolies have a wide range in size as you know but most seem to be between 25-45 lb.
- coat doesn't matter

- Energy level- moderate to high with great off switch. Puts in a lot of effort when need be but also is totally cool to sleep part of the day.

Endless amount of energy and go but a VERY nice inherent off switch. But, that needs to be rewarded and encouraged and busy behavior not rewarded. It would be relatively easy to create a dog with the need to be doing something in them because they do find DOING THINGS rewarding.

Both of mine are sleeping at my feet right now after a day of not getting out at all and no training. And I worked all day. In a few minutes I'll probably take each outside for around 10-15 minutes each and play some disc and do some training and that will be that for the night.

Didgie is a more busy dog but it's in a nice way, she finds bones and chews on them or finds a toy and plays with it. She tends to go lay down on one couch, get up five minutes later and go lay down on another and so on. Traveler doesn't tend to entertain himself but rather just goes into stasis mode where he quietly waits for me to move.

And you will never be able to think about getting up without your dog being right there and ready to do things with you.

Overall Didgie and Traveler probably get individually 2-3 off leash hikes a week and 2-3 bike rides a week during spring/summer/fall. They also tend to get either disc play and/or flirt pole for a little bit daily. That being said, it's not a stretch to say that sometimes they go a week without really getting anything and during the winter I go into hibernation and they don't get anywhere near what they probably should. They deal incredibly well with that though.

Didgie is a more busy dog but it's in a nice way, she finds bones and chews on them or finds a toy and plays with it. She tends to go lay down on one couch, get up five minutes later and go lay down on another and so on. Traveler doesn't tend to entertain himself but rather just goes into stasis mode where he quietly waits for me to move.

- Extremely high biddability and desire to work with you.

One the my favorite things with them is how much they love and enjoy doing things with you. Happy dogs that seem to just enjoy life to the fullest and everything you do or they do is done because it's a joy rather than a job. I think if I had to use one word to describe them it would be enthusiasm about life.

Traveler works incredibly hard to make me happy and Didgie is more female in the respect that she doesn't look at me like I hung the moon and stars but she still really loves working with and for me and derives a lot of pleasure out of it.

They don't give up and they don't get bored. But they do get frustrated.

- Some sort of high useable drive (for us it's food but could be anything. Doesn't need to be mal level or anything. But at any rate a dog that is easily motivated)

What I also like is that both are easy to reward. I can use a ball, a tug, food or a YIPEE!! Didgie has a lot more varied drives switches more easily between then Traveler but I think that has some to do with who they are naturally but more to do with what I know now vs when I got Traveler.

- Extremely people friendly. Very outgoing that way.

Traveler tends to be more enthusiastic in his love of everyone and can get overstimulated and Didgie is more into me and what I can give her while out. But, my approach to how they deal with people was done very different between them.

But overall the breed is known to be incredibly people friendly.

- very athletic/likes to jump.

Well, I don't even need to go into that.

- Very suited to agility training/fast. (essentially lightly built)

Some lines are bigger boned than others and you would have to look around for the right overall build but definitely not uncommon in Koolies.

- dog friendliness- not necessarily a dog park dog but can live peacefully with other dogs easily

Both Didgie are dog friendly though rather intense for some dogs. Traveler and Didgie's focus tends to be more on doing things with me when we're out playing but never an issue with aggression. Though, Traveler does have issues with getting attacked or humped all the time by dogs.

- relatively sensitive personality. But also very confident. I am not sure if I am wording that correctly. Not a very hard or sharp kind of dog?

I think that makes sense. Traveler and Didgie both are sensitive to my moods and what I want (Traveler more so than Didgie) but that being said they don't take things to heart or break down because of a correction, but they understand it.

- Very confident with surroundings and new things. Takes everything in stride. Maybe not as prone to needing such extensive socialization like Mia does and a lot of breeds I like do.

Overall a stable breed with fewer nerve issues that you typically see in herding breeds. They can still be twitchy and some lines are more "shy" than others but that's not the ideal. They should and most are outgoing dogs that fear very little. But they are still twitchy herding dogs so react first, think later in a lot of instances. But recover fast.

I never really did socialization with Traveler or Didgie in the sense that I wanted them exposed to everything to make them not afraid. It was more getting them into stimulating environments and working on them keeping their heads and not getting overstimulated by the excitement.

Mine have been exposed to concerts, gun fire, fireworks, storms, trains and never seemed bothered at all. Traveler slept through a firework show at a year old and I'm not sure Didgie noticed fourth of July.

-Happy/up personality. Easily excited, lol. I guess some would say just a touch hyper.

Koolies are happy. It's one of the things I love best about them. Everything is enjoyed, everything is fun and everything needs to happen. They never just say hi they SAY HI!!!! Why walk when you can run? And why sit when you can jump?

- Extremely handler oriented/velcro

Both of mine are cuddlers to an extent. Traveler often curls up in the crook of my legs and sleeps like that at night. Didgie is a draper who sprawls over me often. But they don't NEED to be on me all the time. They like to be on the same couch, by my feet or near more often than not. But I very rarely wake up or watch TV without one of them at some point being next to me.

They are always in the room with me, always know where I am and the amount of times one has landed on my while I'm on the toilet is slightly embarrassing.

It does cause some issues when one is being worked or taken out and the other isn't. They tend to be crated for that reason.

Bonus: toy drive and likes water (which is a trait I don't have at the moment lol)

Koolies as a whole really seem to enjoy water, some take to it faster than others but I don't think I know of a Koolie that doesn't enjoy swimming and fetching by two.
So since Koolies were already recommended I figured I would throw my thoughts in! Answers in purple!

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I think a lot of gundogs are just as happy being mentally challenged as they are physically! The only thing I would say, is they can be a bit thick headed. They are often used to being very far away from their handler, so can be independent and stubborn. Vislas are (to my knowledge) considered softer than gsp.
Yes. Sometimes Penn will sit/stay& when I ask for movement, she just sits there looking at me like ..nope. Especially if it's after I've corrected her for breaking the stay. The independence is there for sure& the handler focus took a long time to get ..and still leaves swiftly should a bird fly overhead. Vizslas are generally super soft for sure.

I don't think a gsp would have the trainer focus... It's the one thing I do miss in Freddie, he does nothing unless there is something in it for him, you have to get his attention with something, or you're screwed.
Penn had to actually learn this skill.. I would say I still reward most things about 80% of the time (not basics like sit, down, paw ..the easy ones aha) and that seems to keep her paying attention ..but only because she's waiting for a reward not because she has a true deep love to please me LOL She's a velcro dog but in a very odd way. She needs to be able to always have my location but she doesn't always need to be NEAR me. If I leave her, all hell breaks loose. If she leaves me, I better be where she can find me when she checks back in!

Vizla might be a good choice though, and a bitch would be quite small and light.
Penn is about 22.25 inches at the shoulder& 44lbs. A little taller than Briar& the same weight. She's a tiny little thing and basically on springs! She jumps MUCH cleaner than B.

Honestly though, if you want to do dog sports, there's a reason herders are picked over a lot of gundogs!!
And this. Penn was purchased to be my snuggle bunny& running partner. She is excelling at both those jobs ..agility came after we had our breeder with 6wk old puppies. I wouldn't change that decision but my next dog will be a Border, Kelpie, Sheltie, etc!

*My thoughts are in bold but the pretty much just match pace for pace Dizzy. I only know 2 GSPs& they are both neurotic rescues who bark constantly at shadows so I can't speak for them LOL

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
So since Koolies were already recommended I figured I would throw my thoughts in! Answers in purple!
Stop that. Stop making them sounds so perfect. I think I just need to have a Koolie in with my cattle dogs. That would make life perfect.

Laur- I think there are a lot of dogs that fit your needs. Do you like having a good breed community to fall back on? That may be something to help narrow down the choices. From my research, Vizsla communities are normally pretty welcoming, but some do kind of hold grudges to people not planning to hunt their dog. BC's are obviously pretty split between working and conformation and performance sometimes in there. Ect, ect. I don't know. Just throwing that out there. I like having a nice breed specific community to fall back on that's welcoming and without a whole lot of turbulence.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Lol. Sass. There is a woman in Western Australia that has 2 Toolallah Koolies that she does competitive sledding with. She also runs huskies but her Koolies do really well.

You know... if that helps.

How are they at pulling? :p Everything about them is everything I love about Squash, plus an off switch? STOP TALKING ABOUT THEM.
What Mrose said! She's one of my favorite Koolie people and she got into the breed looking for a dog with the stamina, drive and build for sledding and fell into Koolies.

She's actually a member here, maybe this will make her post. Her and her dogs are awesome and they live for pulling.

ETA: And the bikjoring I've been doing recreationaly with Traveler has been awesome! So much heart and soul in it and he looooves it.

Last edited:

Saeleofu

Soooooo...any chance a Chazzer Koolie litter would be on the ground in 4-6 years? ;) The more I read, and now knowing that they're mostly taller than I thought they were, I'm seriously considering trying a Koolie as a successor dog when Logan retires.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Soooooo...any chance a Chazzer Koolie litter would be on the ground in 4-6 years? ;) The more I read, and now knowing that they're mostly taller than I thought they were, I'm seriously considering trying a Koolie as a successor dog when Logan retires.
I have a feeling NONE of those puppies would make it outside of the Chaz circle. :rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.