Any ideas before going to the e-vet? (Long...)

I'm looking for thoughts on what could be wrong with my 2-year old Lab/Greyhound mix. Last night we took her out for a walk, came back and fed her (canidae mixed with oat bran because she has a tendency for soft stools and therefore blocked anal glands). I noticed around 10pm that her stomach was making gassy noises, but it was only 1 or 2 times.

This morning, my husband got up around 7am with her, she went out and urinated/defacated (he said it was softer than normal) and then she refused her food. This has happened a few times recently, and in general she is a dog with stomach issues (easily throws up, gets carsick, etc); usually she will eat it an hour or two later. Her tummy was still making noises and around 8am she vomited a little bit of brown fluid.

Right now is is 12pm and she still refuses her food and still has the tummy noises. She also won't drink, which worries me more (I offered water as well as water mixed with a spoonful or so of broth). Normally, I would have taken her to the vet already, but this happened about a month ago and as soon as we went to the vet, she accepted a treat from him and acted like nothing happened! At that time, we thought maybe she got cold in the night and we've begun covering her with a blanket at night in her bed. Could she have gotten cold during her walk and have a stomach ache?

She also will play if you bring her toys, etc. Right now she is outside sunning herself. She does not seem to want to come inside. Another thing that I might mention is that I am due with our first baby in a month, so there have been some changes to our home recently. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything.

At what point do we go to the e-vet (I swear, this dog loves to go to the vet!)?

Thanks in advance!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I would take her in, just to rule out bloat.

I might be jumping the gun, but I'm rather inclined to point the finger at the Canidae. I've never had good luck on that food and since they changed their formula, a lot of people have begun to have issues with their dogs. I would find a comprable food and see if that helps to clear things up.

When did they change?

When did Canidae change their formula? We've been using it for around two years now, and I had no idea that they changed. During the summer we got a bag in which the kibble looked different (color) but we returned it and since then noticed no difference in appearance.

An update on Elektra; she appeared very interested in my lunch, which was an improvement since she was not interested in my breakfast, so I gave her some ice while I heated up our food and she took that. About a half our ago or so she ate a small bit of her food, which I had mixed with some water. She ate it energetically, so she may be coming around. Keeping my fingers crossed and watching her carefully. The e-vets said (on the phone) to either watch her a bit more or bring her in.

Thanks for the reply!

sisco16

koda bear
I know I wish that something would just stay the same. My huskies have been having stomach issues with there canidae lately to. But im so sick of changing there food this will be the fifth switch I just want a food they can stay on with no problems. Since the new formula they have thrown up and had to very loose stools.

LauraLeigh

My Mix Foster got real bad runs and vomited till he was empty after the first new bag, I feed Wellness Core now.... It sounds like the same thing, but they did change a while back so I would also be cautious that something else is not going on.

Domestika

I would read up a bit on bloat (if you don't already know about it). It sounds like it wasn't bloat this time...but the symptoms sound fairly similar and it can be quickly fatal so it's probably a good thing to educate yourself on!

Neither Labs nor Greyhounds are particularly prone to bloat, but I've seen it in other larger dogs too. Just a good thing to know the early symptoms of for the future. :)

Members online

No members online now.