Rescue dog possibly pregnant?

Pondwader

Hi.... I'm trying to find some people to talk with about the rescue dog I am caring for, and would like to keep if she gets along with my 2 dogs, both girls.

I am part of a rescue organization and often foster. I had a 5 year old husky female brought to me last night who was already being fostered with someone for the last six weeks after being rescued from abuse and neglect. She had been tied to a tree, was emaciated, full of fleas and worms etc. She has been treated for everything and appears to be in good health now, though still a little thin.
We had been told the dog was spayed. The previous foster person however, continued to keep the dog outside at all times instead of introducing her to home life and doing much of anything to help her. That's why I have her now.
I called the previous foster person this morning to get more info, I talked with her at great length before but had a few more questions so I called her this morning.
She just told me this morning (and had not mentioned this to anyone else) that this dog had a heat cycle in late July. She says she noticed bleeding on July 24th, and then the dog got loose on July 27th. She said Abby (the husky) was over at the neighbors playing with their dog, was only gone about ten minutes. She has no idea if the neighbors dog is male or female, or fixed or not. Apparently one of the neighbors kids brought Abby back.
I have my doubts as to how much attention this woman paid to the dog, and if Abby was kept outside all the time I'm not sure whether to belive the woman's claim that there were no dogs coming around her house or around Abby.
If however the dog DID only begin bleeding on the 24th and got loose on the 27th as far as I am aware this is too early in her cycle to have gotten pregnant? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Also, if the dog was actually only gone ten minutes and is not believed to have tied with the other dog, is it still possible she could be pregnant? Obviously, the possiblity is there because she is not spayed and was left outside, however the woman claims to have begun bringing the dog indoors at night once she noticed she was in heat.
If she did indeed get pregnant on the 27th, I will not be able to palpate anything until August 23rd at least, which would be the 28th day. Her vulva is not swollen, and there is no discharge, her nipple also do not appear enlarged at all.
Any insight into this situation would be appreciated

Athebeau

The best way I know to see if a bi+ch may be pregnant is with an ultrasound...this can detect puppies beginning as early as 18-19 days after ovulation. Although, I don't know how much faith I have in ultrasound for some dogs (weather they carry under the rib cage) a friend of mine had her Newf undergo ultrasound throughout the time frame they "thought" she may be pregnant...no puppies showed up in the ultrasound...this unpregnant bi+ch gave birth to 5 healthy pups.
Remember also that sperm can survive up to 7 days in the femal oviducts. which leaves a window of opportunity of several days before and after ovulation for successful breeding. All females have different time tables as well.
The only thing I can suggest to you is to work with your Vet...and either 1, have x-rays done...if the female is in fact intact you can have her spayed. Spaying can be done during the early stages of pregnancy without added risk. During the second half of pregnancy, hysterectomy becomes difficult. Many Vets don't "want" to spay a potentially pregnant female....but, at the clinic I work at we have had a few spays were there were pups inside little to the owners knowledge.
Your second choice is to let the girl go full term and have the pups. Both options for an unheathy underweight animal is going to be risky. But, this is something your rescue center should be discussing with the Vet who looks after the shelter. ;)

bubbatd

I doubt is she is pregnant, but to be on the safe side ask your vet about spaying now. I know it's sad, but best in the long run for everyone. Ideally, you should wait 2 months from a heat ...... if you're playing russian roulette......hard choice !

Members online

No members online now.