new problem/ barking + nipping!

amartin

lately, the issue hasn't been her crying when i leave, but biting and nipping at people for what seems like no reason at all. if i sit down to eat, she will usually get up from eating her own food and run full speed at me barking. if i point my finger and say "no" she nips at the finger. she does this to everyone else as well and i know that it scares people like my grandparents who dont expect her to be nipping and snapping at them. whenever they attempt to correct her (me as well) by point a finger in her face (i dont know how else to correct her or if this way is right) she barks and nips at the finger. it just seems like a complete turnaround from the playful lazy puppy from two weeks ago. it just seems to me that she thinks she is in complete control and by barking and throwing tantrums she is going to get what she wants. she also runs circles around me when i take her outside to go to the bathroom when i attempt to bring her back in. it seems to me that her ego has inflated over the past few weeks and i lost any power i had over her. i feel like an awful parent because im so lost. i dont want to lose my temper or have other people view her as overly aggressive. should i be doing obedience training classes with her right now? (10 1/2 weeks) ?

poeluvr

my pup bites my finger to when i tel him no for nipping, i dont know what to do either.

As soon as her shots are completed puppy kindergarten would probably be an excellent idea for her. And I'd suggest you talk to CreatureTeacher.

I do know this, pointing your finger at a pup is not going to get the results you want. They'll either take it as an invitation to play or as a challenge, neither of which will get you the behaviour you want from your pup.

Does your pup know "sit" yet? That's a good one to work on and it will give you something you can use to distract her when she's being a brat.

Another thing to keep in mind is to take away the reward she gets for her barking tantrums. When she acts like that, ignore her totally. Act like there is no dog in the room at all. After she's quieted down - and stayed that way for a reasonable interval of time, you can call her over and give her the reward of your attention.

Oh, and it might be a good idea to put her in a puppy-proofed room when you eat. At least for awhile until you get this phase she's going through under control. :)

Doberluv

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/dog.htm

Check out that site. There's a lot of good info in there...a whole library. Most is good IMO.

Start teaching the sit first thing, then the down, then stay.

Start doing the stuff in this link.

http://www.sspca.org/Dogs_TANSTAAFL.html

Your dog just needs to have a clear picture of who's in charge and he needs to know it's NOT him. This is not done by harshness at all. These sites should help. The first is all kinds of training stuff. The second is specifically how to gain control.

Also, go through some of the threads on this forum....the training one, the one on puppies, and you'll see many similar situations to yours with lots of help.

Keep us posted.

SaveCody

The puppy is testing the limits of the Alpha, seeing where he stands in the family. Paying no attention is a good way to teach them not to bark. For nipping, the sound of a papertowel tube hitting my hand and a loud no, startles my pup enough to stop nipping. My pup just started nipping too. It's impossible to pet him, because he thinks you are playing with him. If he does not stop the nipping, I leave the room. He hates that. lol. He is getting better, and does not nip as much when petting, but still does when we get home from work.

amartin

the thing is, it's not really playing nipping. she is charging at people barking and when she gets to whoever it is, she bites them. it's not hard enough to break skin and i'm sure it is just to gain our attention, but i need to know how to make it stop! i need to teach her a better way to gain my attention or to want to be let outside or whatever she may want rather than lunging at me and biting me. it's really scary. i tried the ignoring thing but its hard for everyone to stick to that ie. if my grandparents are sitting down or my parents are in bed, they cant exactly get up and ignore her or ignore her biting their hands or knees...

I tell my puppy "No Bites!" in a stern voice while holding her (and yes, I look into her eyes when I say it). I don't put her down until she has stopped struggling and calmed down. If she continues biting, she gets a "time out" in her crate.
I understand that she is teething....she seems to have an uncontrollable urge to bite. First thing in the morning...it's "hi mom!" followed by CHOMP!
She has gotten better with me. My husband is another story.
I would be interested in any advice anyone has also because she bites everyone and doesn't listen to anyone except me. I even have to be the one to make her stop trying to bite my husband!
When she is really riled up, she does the lunge thing too...at his face even. She rarely does that to me anymore.
Dog trainers...am I doing something right or am I doing something that is going to screw her up down the line? She isn't afraid of me at all but I do believe she knows I am the "top dog", while she seems to view my husband as a "litter mate".

Pam

Members online

No members online now.