For those of you with larger caged mammals....

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
(Particularly Chins) I'm having a hard time keeping up with Scout's cage. I mean I do the cage cleanings like you should it's just with her dust (and she pees on everything) it's getting gradually nastier. We've had her 6 years and even though I spray out the cage several times a year and clean out the cage weekly, it is building up dirt that I can't seem to get off no matter how I scrub.

Any tips on chinchilla safe cleaning?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Well, clorox anywhere spray is gentle around pets! I used to use it to clean my hamster cages, and they are significantly smaller. I also used a mixture of vinegar, water and a touch of bleach!

Maybe try putting newspaper at the bottom of her cage, or hay? it would help for an easier cleanup

Maybe try using the ferret nation for her? they are a breeze to clean because of the BIG all the way open doors, the doors are the size of the cage, so no squeezing to clean a hard to reach place

and if she needs more space to stretch her little legs

they have a 2 story model

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well, clorox anywhere spray is gentle around pets! I used to use it to clean my hamster cages, and they are significantly smaller. I also used a mixture of vinegar, water and a touch of bleach!

Maybe try putting newspaper at the bottom of her cage, or hay? it would help for an easier cleanup

Maybe try using the ferret nation for her? they are a breeze to clean because of the BIG all the way open doors, the doors are the size of the cage, so no squeezing to clean a hard to reach place

and if she needs more space to stretch her little legs

they have a 2 story model
Yeah, the bottom has bedding and newspaper under that. Those doors would be REALLY nice. Hers just has two small hatch doors so I can't even reach her favorite 'bathroom' areas. The two story model is about the same size as her current cage. I am seriously thinking about buying a new cage and going from there. This one is a pain to clean.

Labyrinth

I love my Ferret Nation cage. So much easier to clean than the SuperPet cages I used to use. For a cage cleaner I always use Nature's Miracle. Do chinchilla's use litter boxes?

Pam111

I LOVE the Ferret Nation cage. When I had ferrets, everything else was so hard to clean but that cage is so easy to clean

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I love my Ferret Nation cage. So much easier to clean than the SuperPet cages I used to use. For a cage cleaner I always use Nature's Miracle. Do chinchilla's use litter boxes?
Some do, but she does not. I've read it's possible for some chinchillas to train them to use one and then some never learn. I didn't teach her when she was young.

Her cage is really similar to the one on the left in this picture:

http://www.freewebs.com/sinfulchins/new cage pic.JPG

The doors are about the same size, but her cage has two and a half full stories then some perches. It's not a Superpet, it was made by some local guy who makes cages for a living. Those doors make it hard for people with small arms like me to clean everything. Hers only has one small hatch door on the bottom and one on the top.

ETA: I should mention this is her second cage and she's been in it about 2 years. The other we still have. It's the same build but about 4 inches taller and I don't think it's built as well. BUT it does have two doors on the bottom and then one on the top.

MicksMom

For easy clean up, I've use a 30 gallon garbage bag as a liner for the dropping pan of my rabbit cage (with a layer of newspaper in it and a little litter or aspen shavings). I actually slide the pan into the bag. Un-diluted white vinegar cleans up dried rabbit urine, I'd assume it would do the same for a chin. The newest item to my cleaning arsenal is the Nature's Miracle cage wipes.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
For easy clean up, I've use a 30 gallon garbage bag as a liner for the dropping pan of my rabbit cage (with a layer of newspaper in it and a little litter or aspen shavings). I actually slide the pan into the bag. Un-diluted white vinegar cleans up dried rabbit urine, I'd assume it would do the same for a chin. The newest item to my cleaning arsenal is the Nature's Miracle cage wipes.
Do they not chew it? I am having a hard time imagining how I'd put a bag around the bottom tray of her cage without her being able to get to it and eat it. She likes to eat anything/everything.

Pam111

Oh, yes, I always used vinegar to clean cages. Well, I use it for most cleaning around the house, too

MicksMom

Do they not chew it? I am having a hard time imagining how I'd put a bag around the bottom tray of her cage without her being able to get to it and eat it. She likes to eat anything/everything.
Sometimes he would pull the edge up through the bottom of the cage (the pan is on slides under the cage). As long as I made sure nothing was sticking up, he couldn't get to it, tho.

Brattina88

I use vinegar to clean Izzy's cage (and a lot of other things around the house too).
I just got a Ferret Nation cage Monday... and I am IN LOVE with it :eek: I know its sad to say your in love with a cage.... but.... :lol-sign:
I had a superpet something cage, and I really liked it at first, but after a while it was SO hard to clean. I love the doors on the FN cage mostly! Very easy to reach everything to clean.
I've seen some caged on line where the people cut linoleum (sp?) or tile to match the levels and used them instead of the trays. They could just slide them out and clean, or swap, or whatever. I'm thinking about doing this because two of the trays are warped (Izzy doesn't seem to care, though).
If you keep your eyes open you can get one pretty cheap. I have a 142 I think its called? I big one. I got it off of craigslist for $140. And the funny thing is the night before I saw the add I was this close to getting one from petsmart for like $230 or something.

It would've been worth it, though :eek:

Romy

Taxiderpy
For chinchilla urine hydrogen peroxide works the best. It fizzes and dissolves the sticky caked on stuff that gets on the bars. If she is spraying through the bars and it dries on there, that is a big smell source for these guys.

It's nice because it reacts with the ammonia to produce oxygen and water. Totally harmless.

We used it on Iris' wooden cage for the 14 years we had her (she was 5 when we got her). The urine would otherwise soak into the wood and it would stink, saturating with hp would get it smelling piney fresh again. The same cage for 14 years and it never stank. I had as many as 24 chins at one point in one room and everybody that came in always commented on how piney fresh it smelled, not like animals. :)

Members online

No members online now.