Another Day of Volunteering

T

tessa_s212

It was a greeeat day!

Sadly, all but one kennel are filled. BUT, I am SO much more appreciative of our own county humane society after our short visit to a neighboring county's. Our kennels are just two rows on each side of the building. About 3 x 5, so plenty big. We always clean them daily with pinesol or whatever cleaning product we are given as donation to keep it clean. At this other HS, the kennels were maybe only 2x 3, you could smell the awful stench as soon as you walked in teh door.. before you even got to the back! And there was about 40 of those small kennnels.

Our volunteers might not be the most knowledgeable, and heck.. our dog warden might be a little dumb about trainign methods and such, but I'll take our HS over other neighboring county's any day!

Anywa, back onto my day at our humane society. I really did not make much progress at all when it comes to training any of the dogs. I have taught Sammy (black and tan mixed breed) sit, down, shake, adn working a bit on come, as well as her reactivity to dogs. But the last two are not going as well. The other dogs I had been working with also have seemed to come to a stop. They haven't gotten all that much worse(considering the other volunteers who let them get away with things), but they aren't improving.

The person that actually owns the humane society and is the boss of all the bosses :p has been there for a short while the last two times we were there. She saw us working with the dogs and seems to like us! She asked us to come in at 8 am on Tuesday to help walk dogs, specifically the two we got in last week. She'd been coming in and being really gentle with those two, and she KNOWS that the dog warden will just drag them out. She doesn't want that.. I just hope there isn't any conflict.. we're just kids.. dog warden might be offended that she asked us to work with the dogs..:S

I also asked about the petfinder site. They never keep it up to date. Right now they still have two dogs up that were adopted two weeks ago. I told her we're always getting really good pictures, and that I have access to the computer every day. So then she said that might be a really good idea since we work and train the dogs, that way we could inform them more about their personalities, what they do know how to do, maybe what more training they will need. So now she's going to ask the boss of bosses(not the dog warden) if I can do it!! :D

Annnd... the person that is almost always there working whenever we volunteer(we get along wit her really well) even bought us all Pizza!!!

We are really, really starting to fit in. :) Now that they've asked us to actually work and train the dogs, asking us to come in early during non volunteering hours, as well as practically now given us ALL responsibilities of a staff member.

T

tessa_s212

Hehe.. the puppies are SO cute. THey are actually overweight..too fat, but it is so cute to try and see them running. Its almost as cute on video as in person!

And hte bigger white puppies, the video I posted shows what wonderful temperments they have.. they just need out of that shelter and into a place where they can get that attention they need.

Members online

No members online now.