Are rawhides bad for dogs?

pitbulliest

Yes it is true. It can be toxic and harmful for dogs and alot of stores have actually taken rawhide products off their shelves. I definately don't give it to my dogs and I don't suggest anyone offering rawhide for their animals. BAD BAD stuff.

MEG126

ok i read the previous thread there was a link to, and now i have some follow up questions...

rawhides are chemically treated so that they lose the hair that's on them. Since most rawhides you give to your pets are NOT made in the United States, the US can not regulate the chemicals used.
- so are rawhides that are made in the US safe for dogs? or safeR?

it was mentioned several times that whenever dogs do get rawhide bones, that they should be under supervision. is that as a prevention incase they start to choke, etc? (just wondering if i'm missing out on something else...)

also, are nyla bones safe??

thanks in advance... :)

Rawhides

Nyla bones should be safe as long as you match the dogs strength to the bone. For instance for strong chewers like my Golden I would get the strongest they make. Petals is an extremely strong chewer and has had 2 of her Galeleio bones (made by Nyla) for 2 years. I never give her any rawhides.

Brattina88

I've heard that raw hide are a huge DON'T for dogs that eat them so fast they practically swallow them is a couple bites becaise it causes intestine blockage almost immmeadiatly. You know they type, bottomless pits that eat anything, or just rawhide crazy pooches. :confused: I don't trust them much myself
I don't give my dogs rawhides, except Maddie. Once a year. On her birthday. :eek:

MEG126

yea we got a nyla bone for my golden... she doesn't like it much tho. i think it's too hard for her. i mean she likes to chew stuff and she destroys rope toys really fast, but i think she likes things that like, she can get her teeth into. like she's obsessed with rope toys and we have a good strong one... i guess we'll just have to go find a nyla bone that maybe has a little more give to it? so it's tough and will hold up but she can still sink her teeth into it a little.. she likes tennis balls but doesn't chew on them, and she has this one toy that she loves and it squeaks and we're amazed it hasn't been destroyed yet. anyways i'll have to take a look at petsmart next time i'm out there!

???

I dont understand. The other thread was as if rawhides are ok for dogs. Now this thread is saying that it's very bad for dogs. Can someone please clarify this??? Thank You.

MEG126 said:
ok i read the previous thread there was a link to, and now i have some follow up questions...

rawhides are chemically treated so that they lose the hair that's on them. Since most rawhides you give to your pets are NOT made in the United States, the US can not regulate the chemicals used.
- so are rawhides that are made in the US safe for dogs? or safeR?

it was mentioned several times that whenever dogs do get rawhide bones, that they should be under supervision. is that as a prevention incase they start to choke, etc? (just wondering if i'm missing out on something else...)

also, are nyla bones safe??

thanks in advance... :)
I try not to give my dogs any kind of animal chew product manufactured outside the U.S. for this very reason.

Here's a link to the Orbee-tuff Bone. Mine love it and they haven't been able to destroy it! There aren't even teeth marks left in it. Unbelievable!

http://www.planetdog.com/dog-toys.asp?ID=8

MEG126

oh that sounds good! the one we got it was like ROCK HARD and she hates it. (and my mom hates that she hates it because it cost like $18) this one that you gave me the link to said it's flexible so she'll prolly like it better. i think we're definitely going to have to stop the rawhides. she doesn't get them that frequently, just when we go on vacation- and now after reading these two threads, that's really bad! thanks!! :)

I don't know why I didn't post this sooner! For an occasional treat as an alternative to rawhides, go to one of those bakery outlets that sell day-old stuff and get bagels. Let 'em get good and stale. The dogs love it!

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
That is what I need...Orbee-Tuff bone. I had to stop giving Bula RawHides to chew on, not only because they are bad for her, but she almost choked on one. I had given her a really BIG bone, and she tore a strip off of it, and tried to swallow it hole. She came up to me on the couch and laid her head on my shoulder. I could hear her like wheezing. She could hardly breathe. So, I opened her mouth, and I could see a little bit of the rawhide in her throat, so I had to pull it out so she could breathe. Needless to say, we don't have rawhides in our house anymore.

Jill

Papillon Lover
And if you must give your dog rawhide, be certian to stay clear of the ones with the balls of rawhide on the ends. These can be chewed off and become a serious choking hazard.

demiles

If rawhide is so bad for dogs whats an alternative. My last four dogs have been chew monsters while young and have lived long happy lives. I've always given them the retriever style thats maybe 12 in. long by 2in. in diameter. They would consume 2 or 3 of these per day sometimes (Always supervised). Other than pig ears I haven't found anything else they really like. They have a nylabone at the bottom of their toy box they never touch it.

I've heard some good things about them, especially for hard chewers. I got Shiva and Kharma a pair of Orbee-tuff bones made by Planet Dog. I don't expect that they're much good for cleaning teeth, but they love them. I know they've saved some things I really didn't want chewed! The texture is very squishy. I never would have believed how they hold up if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes! Shiva the Great Destroyer hasn't even managed to leave a toothmark in them!

I'll leave you a link: www.planetdog.com

I

Ilio

i have heard that yes, rawhides are bad for dogs because the peices can be sharp and cut cut their intestines or they could be hard to digest.
LilyRose

Ilio said:
i have heard that yes, rawhides are bad for dogs because the peices can be sharp and cut cut their intestines or they could be hard to digest.
LilyRose
Whoa I had no clue that they could cut intestines. Thats a scary thought.

mom2two

Thank you Renee for the site. I will be shopping here often. I feel like a bad "mom" because I used to give cow hooves, which are awful for my pups and I have been giving them rawhides.....I feel terrible. I do also give pigs ears, are those safe? Thank you for having so many wonderful answers.....greatly appreciated!

Beth

Members online

No members online now.