I need some "you can do it!"s and "it's all ok"s

Today's update: took Louis to a green space / park nearby he's been to many times. However, this time we didn't walk along the path, I took him into all the grassy, off path areas. Onto the soccer field, etc.

He did really, really good. Didn't always maintain a perfectly loose leash, but close. Started wanting to pull me towards things to smell, but quickly got the hint that I was willing to wait until he came back and behaved properly to move forward. We also sat about 50 feet away from a barking Terrier and practiced looking back and forth from the yapper, to me, etc.

As to the question of what happens when he doesn't do what I want. Well, that depends on the situation. Quite frankly, he doesn't do things like get into the trash, and has a pretty decent "drop it". I've been working it on low value items, so the odd time when he does grab something of higher value and I want it, he will usually give it up readily.

As for pulling, well, when he does it he doesn't get to go where he wants. I usually walk the opposite direction. A few quick turns and he's pretty willing to investigate at my pace.

I need to work these things in more highly distracting environments, for sure. Thus my baby step trips to semi rural areas.

Members online

No members online now.