Sad Sad Day :(

Well today I took my pup to the vet for his last set of shots.
I feel like such a failure.
He TOTALLY FLIPPED OUT!!!
Barking, screaming, biting...
I have never in my experience seen this type of behavior from an animal.
I couldnt believe it.
I sat and talked with the vet for about half an hour.
He has shown signs of aggression before but never like this.
I cried all day and decided that I could not trust him with my 5 year old son.
He is only going to get bigger.
I had to take him to the local shelter and explain.
I just feel like Shi*.
Thanks for listening.

R

RedyreRottweilers

THIS is exactly what I was TRYING to explain to you before you berated me for scolding you like a child.

LGDs and Working dogs should NOT be crossed because the temperament and genetic wires get crossed. LGDs are bred and born to be suspicious and reactive. Working dogs are bred and born to be courageous and territorial. These things combined, in certain situations, as you witnessed, can cause an extreme meltdown.

And yes, let's imagine this happening in a dog who will mature at well over 100 lbs. Add to that being removed from his litter so early, and this is a dog who is destined to fail. Not his fault. It is the fault of his STUPID BREEDER, one, for allowing this cross in the first place when any person educated about either breed knows how reactive these crosses can be, and second, for allowing puppies to leave at 5 weeks of age.

I do not agree with dumping this puppy at a shelter. Suppose some unknowing person comes in and adopts him, now not knowing his past? He should have been humanely destroyed. I know this won't be a popular opinion, but sometimes taking responsibility in the proper manner for dogs is not any fun at all.

That puppy was doomed from the moment the sperm hit the egg.

Tinaweena

I'm very sorry you had to make that decision. Hopefully you can find a well bred puppy in the future to steal your heart.

But wow Red, nice show of compasion. :rolleyes:

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Red, this person just had to give up a puppy they loved very much. The cross was bad...but this person didn't know that. And of course a person doesn't like to hear that a dog they love very much is "doomed to be bad." Get off your high horse and out of the "I told you so" mode long enough for the rest of us to offer sympathy.

Animalvr, I know what you feel like. I went through almost the exactl same experienc. I had a dog and was warned that the cross was bad. But I couldn't give up on my Odin...it's not his fault some idiot bred him. I felt that I had a responsibility to do everything possible to give him a chance at a good life. Despite all my efforts, I ended up having to have him PTS. To this day, I still consider Odin to be my heart dog. I take comfort in the fact that although his life was short, he was loved and treated like a family member: the way a dog should be.

((hugs))

I know you feel horrible right now. I know I did, and I still do from time to time. But take comfort in the fact that you gave him a loving home.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
I agree - the shelter needs to know what happened. They need to know his breed cross, they need to know his actual age, and they need to know that he has shown aggression multiple times. I do not agree with this dog being adopted out - what happens when a family with young kids goes to adopt the cute rottie mix puppy?

I did let them know that he reacted the way he did and that he can NOT be around children of any age.
I suggested he be in a single person household.
Red I know you were trying to help and I understand what you are saying.
You do not need to be so damm sarcastic though geez

Fran27

I'm so sorry... I just hope the shelter won't make a mistake and will only adopt him out to an EXPERIENCED house. It's an accident waiting to happen. I agree that he should probably be put down.

I agree with Red honestly, but I don't think it's your fault, other than accepting to take the pup at 5 weeks. You should not feel horrible about it. I'm sure you did your best, and a lot of us would have failed in the same circumstances. Heck, I have problems with my golden retriever (although not as bad).

If you decide to get another dog, make sure it was properly socialized, and try to start with an easy breed, from a GOOD breeder.

Im so sorry things didnt work for you and your dog.

I do agree that the dog probably shouldnt go to a home unless they are WELL informed and EXPERIENCED and able to handle the list of problems this dog is likely to encounter during his lifetime. Many people "think" they can "train a dog to act right" or with proper time and love, he'll "straighten out". In light of what Red explained tho, about the mixing of those particular breeds, it might be best to have him humanely put down.:(

Again, Im sorry. ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

R

RedyreRottweilers

I hate to think about the future of this animal, and other people who might come in contact with it.

It should have been put down.

bubbatd

The fate of the poor pup is out of her hands now.........the HS will evaluate and do what they feel is best. So sorry , Animalvr ....

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
I'm so sorry to hear this :( I've been there too though, and it is not an easy decision to have to make. My husband and I adopted an adult male shepard mix and had to put him down less than a month later. Despite our best efforts he bit me so hard one day that I required stitches. Good luck to you and your family. I hope you find a wonderful dog very soon!

Members online