Looking for smaller sport-dog suggestions

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I know you, somewhat, and I genuinely think you look for similar things in dogs as I do (I can tolerate more edge but I prefer more fun). Humorously I bounce around with this kind of "what should I get next" list all the time and half of the time it is focused on FB dogs.

I doubt, seriously, you'll be happy with a Staffy. Their high potential for prey drive and DA matched with relatively slow times (compared to other breeds) is why they mixed in the border in the first place.

I also think a JRT, most of them, can be too hard.

I don't know Mudis, or Pyrs, so I'll leave that be.

I think a B/S or better yet a B/W may suit you but you may run into some drive and focus building issues with the B/W. We have a ton of them training around us and when you can focus them, well.. they **** all over any other breed for competitiveness (except a straight whippet). Problems arise though because they still maintain a lot of whippet behavior in that often time hard to focus on what you think is important, often time hard to ball hold, often time refusal to tug, and often time a lot of prey drive.

I am constantly in debate if I want to *really* get competitive or not and if I *really* want to be competitive my next FB dog will be a whippet or b/w but then I think... eh... do I *really* want to live with one? They're a breeze in the house from what I see actually but I like my dogs to be forgiving, easy going, boisterous, and maintain a desire to learn and seek. I really, really love both whippets and b/w but I'm not sure I am ready to make that leap into ownership yet, maybe when/if I stumble upon the right one at the right time.

Bedlingtons are extremely common to have extreme prey drive, we had one for a while growing up and they're brilliant dogs but tough as nails if you get a very gamey line. I'm not sure if "show" lines are less gamey.

I would say a mini poodle would be rad. Just find a well bred one!

You can get an amazing dog out of any breed so all of this generalizing can be null with the right dog but these are just my takes after watching and analyzing FB dogs for the past couple years in our region.

ETA, the D/S farm dogs are awesome. Also a deckers line RT may be an awesome choice.

elegy

overdogged
I worry about Borderstaffs and Borderwhippets (Bippets?) getting too big. A few people I know just got Borderwhippets and I'm very curious to see what they turn into. I also am not sure if I'd be happy living with a Borderwhippet. So soft.

Borderstaffs seem to be all over the place size-wise. But they're definitely the most competitive height dogs out there.

Plus I don't know if I have enough clout to score one from a good breeder.

I don't know if I'd be happy with a Miniature Poodle for flyball or not. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with one everywhere else. I guess it's just a question of how important is it to me to have a super fast flyball dog? Steve has spoiled me.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I can't support the well known B/S breeders, ethically speaking, and I do agree I see a lot of variance from at very least some of the dogs.

I know exactly what you mean with the last question. LOL

Red Chrome

I have a good friend that is doing Agility with her Boston. Man that dog is insanely driven in a good way! She got her from a breeder that bred for agility though.

I presonslly would go JRT or Kerry Blue myself. But the Kerry Blue may be bigger and more terrier than you're looking for.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Ever considered a Beagle from hunting lines?
Unfortunately their biddability leaves much to be desired for a sport like flyball.... all the hounds, sight and scent, seem to do so.

I'd get another border collie, a small one, and be content or a nice rat terrier.

Or wait until I make malihippets or malicollies and make my millions with my super awesome perfect sport mixes.

(jk.. sorta..)

elegy

overdogged
Ever considered a Beagle from hunting lines?
Not a beagle fan AT ALL but there are a couple running in our region. Slow though.

I think I'm looking most seriously at Mini Poodles right now. Seems goofy, and I'm afraid I'll be disappointed in the flyball arena, but maybe I just need to adjust my expectations.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Lincoln is super fast and very toy-driven. If I ever find another club to play flyball with I'd like to try out Stryder again, as well as Lincoln (ok Charlie too lol).

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I couldn't handle the grooming but I do really like poodles. I'd keep exploring that option if I were you, they're really very smart, very stable dogs if you can find a well bred one.

Red Chrome

My boss has a Standard and that dog is wicked smart and super ball driven! She is a smaller standard too, probably mature at like 50 lbs. tops.

Dekka

Just try me..
I have a good friend that is doing Agility with her Boston. Man that dog is insanely driven in a good way! She got her from a breeder that bred for agility though.

I presonslly would go JRT or Kerry Blue myself. But the Kerry Blue may be bigger and more terrier than you're looking for.
If a kerry blue is too much terrier, then a JRT would be way too much.

LOL I still say the right JRT ;) I think chaz needs more jackatude!

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Schipperke? There's one in my agility class and she's a sassy little devil but focuses in well and learns quickly, really fast too!

JRT and Staffy and Rat Terriers came to mind. But Terrier remains the issue for all three. Not all Terriers want to eat kitties...but every dog i have ever had will go after any cat or small animal in the backyard...

milos_mommy

The majority of the poodles I know aren't very drivey, but I know if you went to the right breed you could probably find one.

Mini pinscher or manchester terrier comes to mind...more toy than terrier but still with drive, they might be a little more fragile than you want, though. If you do consider terriers, I'd look into patterdales.

I don't know....I think your best bet would be looking for a little rescue mutt. Most of the small breeds I think of when I think "drivey" are terriers.

Aleron

I don't know....I think your best bet would be looking for a little rescue mutt. Most of the small breeds I think of when I think "drivey" are terriers.
It's hard to guess about the potential driveyness or size of random mixes breeds when looking at puppies. If mixed breed is an option, I think a sport mix would be a better bet.

And good with kitties ;) Think if it was from a puppy there'd be no problems.
I personally would never trust a highly prey driven sighthound with cats. Indoors many can be fine with cats but outdoors is a different story.

Members online

No members online now.