Mother Dog and her Newborns

bubbatd

My females couldn't have cared less !!! I wish I could post pictures of Bubba and his pups !

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
it depends on the mom id think.

But maybe, after the pups are born. Do what you need to do, and then let mom have some alone time with her babies.
I know its tempting to show off pups, but keep it to immediate family/people your dog knows around the whelping area after shes had pups. Slowly work with the mom and pups until shes comfortable with you handling them and knows you mean no harm

My puppy's mom needed to have a vet come on an emergency basis because one of the pups (8 in all) was too big and it was stillborn. Dolly needed to have a c-section and is retired now, from having pups after 3 litters. All the rest of the puppies were fine, even the runt survived and thrived.

bubbatd

Agree !!! Never breed before 2 years and tested and even one litter a year is too much to me !

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
I would have to agree that it all depends on your relationship with your dog. I have never had a dog that had puppies more than once so I wouldnt know of any differances after the first litter. I have never had problems with a female being over protective towards me b/c I try to be the soul care taker and gain all my rescues trust. BUT I have had that no one else in my family was allowed to even come in the whelping room.

So whens the big day?

Mandie

Agree !!! Never breed before 2 years and tested and even one litter a year is too much to me !
Can you back htis up with some studies?

Everything I've been reading suggests that, assuming no loss of condition (some bitches DO get really dragged down by puppies) that it's best to do your litters back to back and spay as young as possible.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I've heard that too...but that it is based on the idea that "in the wild" a bitch is pregnant every season until she is too old to carry...

I guess it's a matter of it I think my bitches, which cycle TWICE a year...greatly differeing from a "wild" canid which goes ONCE...is still "natural" enough to play by those rules. I personally...don't think mine are. They're thoroughly domesticated critters..so I go a cycle or even two...between.

Dekka

Just try me..
No I don't think it was really based on the wild. I remember reading about it in a journal. They did studies on the physiological effects of breeding back to back and skipping one or more heat. They found that in many cases there seemed to be faster recovery and better fertility (if I remember correctly)

As well there effects on heat cycles/breeding and ageing.. I can't remember enough to post about it. But those too seemed to point out that breeding (horses or dogs can't remember which one this was about) back to back and then retire was better.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Horses make sense...they are pregnant a VERY long time, and also live longer. Dogs? Not so much...to me. The fact that my girls cycle twice a year...doesn't necessarily follow that I need to breed them that often.

My girls are all done by age 5-6 most times...and I can't see why I should speed that up any more when it's already quite early that they're retired.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
with vixie me female chi, her first litter, she had absolutly no problem with me or my mother around her babies, BUT with others, for the first week she was very warey, and the other dogs couclnt go neer for 2 weeks without getting an ear full.
once the pups eyes started opening though she was happy for anyone to be neer them and play with them and look after them...she enjoyed the break.

she had to be emergency c-sectioned though because one pup didnt decsend and held the whole ordeal up, because chis are prone to issues during birth already (and id take every possible precaution to avoid it in the first place yet it still happens) i had her spayed at the same time which may or may not have effected her in terms of defensivness with the newborns.

theres nothing more terrifying than an emergency c-section to me...

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
"wilds" breed to promote survival of their pack. But even in the wild there are females that are not bred in the pack.

Members online

No members online now.