Trying To Find The Right Breed...

F1awed

Hm, I hope this is the right Part of the Forums to post this >_>

Anyway, I needed some input on something..My Aunt wants to get a dog but doesnt know what kind is good for her. She had a Black Lab about 6 years ago but after he died her and my uncle decided not to get a new dog...She was thinking of a Yorkie, But...I dont think thats a good choice. I was thinking about a Welsh Corgi (Theyre my favorite breed) But, I have yet to meet one and I dont know their Temperaments or anything.
My Aunt and Uncle both work full time and aren't at home from about 7am-6pm. They have no kids, But have parties a lot, So the dog would need to be social. And..Uh..Yeah...
Any help/suggestions or more info on breeds is very appriciated.

:D Thanks. -F1awed

BostonBanker

I don't really have any breed suggestions, but, being a horse person, I know tons of corgis. My trainer used to breed them. I don't think they are a suitable dog for somebody gone for 11 hours a day. Remember, they may be little (well, short anyway), but they are a herding breed like border collies and aussies. They need a lot of activity and exercise. Most of the ones I know are also extremely attached to a few select people. Again, I'm not sure how well they would do if "their" people were gone so long during the day.

I know there are a few corgi owners on board here, so hopefully you will get some more replies. Good luck!

How much excercise can they provide? Do they prefer small or large dogs? Is there a grooming preferance or not? Apartment? Fenced yard?

To determine a match, lots of questions have to be answered ;)

IMO 11 hours is too long for any dog to be left alone...a puppy is definitely out of the question unless they can come home at least twice during work to give it a walk and spend almost ALL of the time after they come home devoted to that puppy. If anything, they should go for an adult dog...go to the shelter and there's bound to be a dog there that might be able to handle being alone for 11 hours.

Also, small breeds don't have a large bladder like bigger dogs like Labs...so if they can't come home at least once during the day when it's an adult to walk it then they should go for a large dog that can 'hold it' longer.

I think a cat would be a better choice. The hours they are both gone all day, plus their party and sleep time, they don't have enough to give to a new dog coming into the home.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Yorkies are GREAT dogs, but are very people oriented. My Yorkies will FREAK out if left alone. We have to crate them, because it's almost like they have 'separation anxiety' because they bark, yelp, cry (it literally sounds like they are dying). Thank goodness we live WAY out in the country where no one can hear! They also rip things up in their anxiety, and we've already had the carpet replaced 2 or 3 times because they've ripped the carpet out from under the door frantically trying to get out to find us. I wouldn't leave any dog loose in the house for 11hrs though. There's too much stuff they could get into. They could ruin things that are precious, or even hurt themselves, and no one would know. Also, I don't know of a dog that can hold it in for 11hrs! I can't even do that! lol! :D Probably, the only way it would work, was if they had a SECURE fence in the backyard, and they used a doggie door, but when the dog came in, he was confined to a small area of the house, so he could come in to get cool, eat ,drink, etc, but would stay away from things that could be broken, chewed, knocked over, etc. I wouldn't reccomend this for a smaller breed though (under 15lbs) as predators, such as birds of prey could take them away easily. For a smaller dog, either a doggie door to an enclosed, covered dog run/kennel, or puppy pads would be 2 ways to do that. A shelter would be the best place to look though, as previously stated. Good luck in finding a good dog for your family!!! :) If anyone has any other ideas please feel free to elaborate, or correct! :)

I think a cat would be a better choice. The hours they are both gone all day, plus their party and sleep time, they don't have enough to give to a new dog coming into the home.
That's what I was thinking lol...cats are awesome though, seriously.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
I really am not a big cat fan but there is a breed of cats I just love!!
They are very smart, very agile, and alot of fun!! Bengal cat is what they are!
If I were ever to get another cat it would be one of these.
http://www.bengalcat.com/main.aspx

I really am not a big cat fan but there is a breed of cats I just love!!
They are very smart, very agile, and alot of fun!! Bengal cat is what they are!
If I were ever to get another cat it would be one of these.
http://www.bengalcat.com/main.aspx
Keep in mind cat temperments don't differ nearly as much as dog temperments. I've met a huge handful of mature moggies with the temperment of a Bengal (except for maybe the water-loving part, but I've met moggies who love that too). And there are of course the Bengals out there that hate water! lol

The best cats usually come from shelters, with a little patience. ;)

F1awed

Thanks for all the replies!
Ok so, My mom corrected me on the Hours, And im sorry for the mistake >_<! My Uncle works about 7-8 hours. But it up about 1-2 hours before he needs to leave and if They got a Larger dog (Lab ect..) My uncle would probably bring it to work with him, As long as it was well behaved.

I agree with having them get an Adult dog instead of a Puppy. Or a small dog..To me it seems that Smaller dogs need someone to be with alot of the time and dont like to be alone.

Thanks Again! I'm gunna keep doing research on some different breeds.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
The best cats usually come from shelters, with a little patience. ;)
I 100% agree with this!

All three of my cats are shelter cats, my latest cat was abandoned twice before I got her. She reminds me so much of a dog, all she wants is to be with me and she TALKS non-stop and adores water a little too much, lol.

If you want a cat, go to the shelter... they always have so many that need good homes and the cat will give so much love back to you for a long time.

Elissa

Thanks for all the replies!
Ok so, My mom corrected me on the Hours, And im sorry for the mistake >_<! My Uncle works about 7-8 hours. But it up about 1-2 hours before he needs to leave and if They got a Larger dog (Lab ect..) My uncle would probably bring it to work with him, As long as it was well behaved.

I agree with having them get an Adult dog instead of a Puppy. Or a small dog..To me it seems that Smaller dogs need someone to be with alot of the time and dont like to be alone.

Thanks Again! I'm gunna keep doing research on some different breeds.
Well that's much better, lol! I've heard of people bringing their dog to work, it seems to work out fine as long as they are well-trained.

For an adult dog, the best place to look in the shelters. They'd find a mature and maybe even well-trained dog to suit their needs. Mellow, hyper, affectionate, independent, aloof, overly friendly...it's all there. The site where I found my cat and will find my future dog is petfinder. They have most of the dogs up for adoption in your area listed, as well as a bunch of info and pictures of them. There are even purebreds. I suggest they check there!

PetFinder.com

^ Best website ;) :D

Cole's Mom

Dobe Lover
You can also rescue an adult purebreed dog of your choice. Decide which breed, go to the parent site and look for local rescues.

Cole's Mom

Members online

No members online now.