training dog to pee on a training pad

well..we got her like two days ago. My mom said she bought the lil girl for 50 bucks. She's a yorkshire terrier i believe. right now i have some training puppy pads from our old dog that we had to give away because of some problems. (no it wasnt about the dog) but any way. We are training it to pee on the training pad thingy. what we did so far is:

at night we put her bed the training pad and all the stuff in the laundry room.(the laundry room is pretty small...prolly like just below 5 feet wide....)

next morning she didnt pee..my dad she saw her and she looked like she was holding it...

and she peed in small spots all over the house...(is it healthy for them to pee in small amounts?)

tonight we got this potty training urine spray thingy. i cut a peice of carpet we had extra laying around. and sprayed it and were gonna do the same thing...

Is this wrong? I would try to catch her in the act of peeing but almost half of the time im petting her and all that owner dog stuff. never see her pee...but like theres spots every were....i do take her out walking but like sometimes. i just dont have to time. school. home work. chores. all that...im planning to walk her in the after noon...

mom just told me she cant bark...they took out something out of her throat.
the lil gal is 4 years old i think...in dog years i dont know..how do u tell dog years?

i guess it would help if u guys posted sooner or aim me on my aim..well ty for help..

Saje

Island dweller
Well there is a lot to address here.

First of all how old is your dog and why do you want her to pee in the house?

I don't understand what you are using the piece of carpet for? Do you want her to pee on that? :confused: because I think she'd find that pretty confusing.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
I agree with saje on the carpet thing, it will only teach her to pee on the carpet!
I would say get some new puppy pee pads and place the stategically around the house. Try and watch her very carefully and when she does squat take her straight to the pad. If she goes, praise and treat! If she doesn't make it, don't punish her, but if you catch her in the act a clap will stop the peeing long enough to get her to the pad.

Fran27

She was probably used to pee outside too, and you are just confusing her. She needs to go outside at least twice a day to pee, if you can't do that, maybe you should have considered getting a cat.

my grandma or my mom goes jog with her in the morning i think....but imma try and take her out after mowing the lawn...sot he carpet thing doesnt work..ok..so just stick to puppy pads...ok well thanx...

Kells

Your dog may have bladder issues. My friends have a german shorthair pointer that will let out little drops from being so excited and happy when you initially get home.. or something to that extent. there is medication for it. I would consult a vet of course.

aurorab

Ok a few things.
1. She is already 4 yrs old and probably never used pee pads. Not that you can't teach her but it will take a while and will probably cause many accidents. since b4 she learned that pee inside= bad, pee outside =good. Little dogs can be trained to do both (pads and outside) but again they are usually taught very young.
2. toss the carpet quick. Doing that will only get her to pee on the carpet inthe house. Again 1 place and pee pad only.
3. Peeing a lot (a little at a time) isnt a problem. Sometimes it can be marking and sometimes it's nothing. Mira does it all the time. She gets scared and stops then starts up again. Especially if she is doing it inthe house it could be that she is trying to hold it and can't but then tries again and then just has to.
4. Oh and don't put her bed on the pee pad. They don't like to go where the eat and sleep.
You might want to try kenneling her and then taking her out and putting her on the pad (same as what you would do for going outside but not taking her outside). Also don't let her roam when she isn't being watched. Again that way you can get her to go on the pee pad and not in a corner that no one sees.
Some people even put the pee pad or litter box in the kennel w/ a small dog but it would have to be a big kennel (like the size for a big dog). They need enough room to have room to sleep and a separate place to go. Kind of like a 2 bedroom kennel. HEHE
Most Important be very consistant and PATIENT. She is probably already very scared. Another reason that she might be peeing inside and peeing little bits several times. Try not to yell at her, yelling just makes them scared and then peeing is a bad thing. Praise her when she does good (pees on pad) and maybe even a treat (a little bit of cheese works great for my little ones. Find something she LOVES and it will work great)
Again be PATIENT you are completely changing things after 4 yrs of her knowing what was right and wrong and now it will be different. It's not impossible but it will take time.
Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.