Questions For Breeder

M

MyHorseMyRules

I want to get a German Shepherd puppy and also start looking into Schutzhund. It's been a long time since I had to do this, so I was hoping for some advice on what I should ask the breeders.

Maxy24

I'll probably miss a bunch of stuff but...

Ask to see both parents (if the male is on the property).

Ask if the parents have been screened for hip dysplasia and other genetic disorders.

Find out if they do Schutzhund and if their dogs have any titles in it (I would go with a worker as opposed to a show breeder if you'd like to do that sport).

Ask if they will take the dog back at any point in his life if you cannot care for him.

Ask if the dogs are raised inside or out.

Ask what things the breeder does to socialize the pups before you get one.

At what age do they sell their pups.

actually check this thread out (just replace "Tollers" with German Shepherds)
http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63389&

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
If you are wanting to do Schutzhund, you need to be careful that you find a breeder that is really breeding for dogs that excel at that sport. The European show dogs have Schutzhund titles as they are required to breed the dog. But the trials run by the show dog crowd are very different than the trials run by the working dog people (rest assured, I've been there to witness the cheating). At recent sieger shows (top level shows for show dogs) many of the top show dog did not bite in the protection test. And in the years before, they only bit bc the helpers didn't really test the dogs. Finally, the test at the sieger show is less than what you would see at your typical shutzhund trial. So, if you want a dog that is really going to work in the sport- do not trust paper titles.

First thing is to learn the difference between show dogs with "paper titles" and working dogs with the proper drive and temperament to really work in protection. If they are from Europe, they will all have Schutzhund titles on their papers. Ditto for dogs bred in this country but shown in European style shows (not AKC). The points don't matter either. I've seen dogs earn high points while cheating their way through the trials and with no pressure from the helpers- I've even seen judges pretend to "look away" while the competitor cheats. The difference will show up when you look at the show titles in the dog's background- show dogs will be "v" rated or even "VA" rated (excellent conformation ratings). The working dogs will rarely be V rated and never VA. They are more likely to be SG or G.

The sorts of people breeding working dogs will not want to tell you how pretty their dogs are. They will tell you how driven, or powerful, or athletic they are. They should also be able to show you dogs they bred that were successful at regional, if not national events. I'd be much more impressed by a breeder who had bred the Shutzhund 1 regional champion, than by the breeder who bred a dog that was Schutzhund 3 many times over, all at local events (where the judge may have received an all-expense-paid trip to America for his 2 week Holiday). The regional and national events are pretty much guaranteed to be real.

Finally, you don't want anything from AKC show lines or any other breeding program where working ability is not evaluated every generation. Your chances of finding a Schutzhund dog in those gene pools would be slim to none.

Next thing to worry about- working breeders that produce dogs that are overly aggressive...

PM me with your location if you want some pointers to some good people in your area.

M

MyHorseMyRules

Thank you very much. That was a huge help. I would appreciate some help finding a breeder, as well.

M

MyHorseMyRules

Thank you both. I just sent an application to the first kennel, and I am looking into the second one now.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Come poke around at http://www.germanshepherds.com/
:D
I'm Barb E over there, Dan L who posts here also posts there (though not nearly enough anymore!)

There's a whole section devoted to beeder questions, a whole section devoted to puppies...and well it's a great place for GSD questions

Edited to add: They do not allow sales on the board and there is also an entire section devoted to rescue!
Just wanted to throw that in since I know so many here are pro rescue!!!! :D

Last edited:

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
This kennel looks pretty good, anyone else have opinions on them?:

http://www.hausmerkel.com/index.htm
This breeder highlights the point I was trying to make. These are show dogs, European style. Meaning they have Schutzhund titles, but they probably are not strong working dogs. Look at the pedigree on this dog, all V and VA dogs. I have no doubt he is a very good show dog.

http://www.hausmerkel.com/Peco.htm

From the show lines, there will be the occasional individual that is really drivey and powerful in the protection, but that is fairly rare. More often, they are just barely able to pass the protection phase of Schutzhund on their own field, with their own decoy and with plenty of help from that decoy. I'm not saying that there are not breeders selecting for both, but just that your odds go down when you get a puppy from show lines.

On the other hand, the dogs are really gorgeous and for some people that is more important than working ability. I also tend to prefer the personalities of the show dogs, they tend to be more into their people and less extremely "object-oriented". If you are not dead set on having a Schutzhund dog that is strong in the protection phase, I would look at show dogs too. See what you like. The breeder seems cool and has titled dogs in AKC obedience, Schutzhund and tracking.

Which brings up another point- sometimes the best breeder is the one who is most motivated to help you reach your goals. Even if the puppy is average, having an experienced breeder who is willing to help you train the pup is better than having a great puppy but no one helping you out on a regular basis. I would tend to look for a breeder who is active in a Schutzhund club and helping her puppy buyers to title their dogs.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
One more thing- did anyone see the pricing :yikes:

CHOICE puppies with superb temperament for Family Pet/Companion/Protection
$1500 -$2000
SELECTsuperb puppies for Family Pet/Protection/Schutzhund/Possible Breeding
$2500
EXCEPTIONAL Family & Show quality Breeding/Schutzhund Prospects
$3500
ULTIMATE Family & Show/Breeding/Schutzhund potential "Super Stars"
$5000
SUPREME ULTIMATE Family/Show/Breeding/Schutzhund potential
"Superb quality according to the German Shepherd Breed Standard)"
$7500

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
I'm not just shocked at the price, but also the style. I'm pretty suspicious of anyone with "tiered" pricing on puppies. I get the show/pet distinction, but 5 levels? I think this is another thing that is common in the world of European show shepherds. These dogs sell for big money and so do the pups. It seems to me that many of the people are in it for the money and not for the dogs. But, maybe I'm just jealous bc malinois are not a big ticket item :confused:

Members online

No members online now.