Breeding my chihuahuas (help!!)

mninh0076

this is my last post on this thread/forum. I realize most of you mean well, regardless of how it comes out.

However, you people need to understand that not everyone is informed about dog breeding. it is not common knowledge. She is my first pet, and I take really good care of her.

No other vet had suggested that she had hip displasia, only the last one we went to. and that was AFTER she had concieved.

I didnt want to believe that she does, because it didnt make much sense. But i doubt he'd say that if she didnt.

Its not like I bred her knowing she had it, or even knowing I had to screen them for genetic malfunctions. I trusted what the breeder told us, and I didnt second guess it. My bad.

I've been doing alot of research now on dog breeding, to prepare myself for it. I have been trying take responsibility for what was a misinformed, bad decision.

Yes, I should have done the research before hand- I didnt realize it was anymore difficult than dogs breeding and having babies. my bad again.

I am going to go to another vet to see what he thinks about it (someone suggested getting someone elses opinion since two vets disagreed on it) I guess this time I will have the x-rays rather than listening to what they say.

And its not like I bred her regardless of her being a " pet quality" I didnt know the difference until I came here and saw a few posts. I was just looking for sound advice, not to start a war.

To the people that offered advice, even the harsh advice- thanks. For the people who turn their back on animals because they dont know how to address human ignorance other than shunning someone and furthermore allowing the ignorance continue- whatever- you people need to get over it- because i'm not the first, not the last, and its certainly going to happen for years. if you have knowledge on a subject, don't take a higher than thou approach and refuse to advise someone just because you disagree with them. Otherwise all you are doing is condoning that ignorance.

thanks again all

CamzKees

sad

Hey hon, sorry to hear about your dog. I had posted something much longer and more heart felt, but I was timed out of the system.

Here is my opinion on this whole thing:
Being open minded would have been you saying, "I'd like to breed my bitch. What advice have you to give?"

Rather, you are the close minded one, dead set on breeding your dog, even though she has health problems.

The sad thing is, she will be the one to pay for your mistakes. And, her puppies won't even be breed worthy, and likely they'll have hip displasia.

I think that you leaving the forum is a bad idea. I think that the least thing you can do for your dog is to stick around and learn as much as you can from what's been posted, and also other people's posts.

And, the information is free and available. Obviously you have a computer- you could have googled dog breeding. There is no excuse for ignorance in this case.

I would hate to be in your shoes. Good luck to your dog.

rhinecat

mninh0076 said:
To the people that offered advice, even the harsh advice- thanks.
You're welcome. If you'd like to discuss it any further for any reason, you can reach me at [email protected]. I am also going to ask my friend who shows and has bred her chihuahuas for her input (without sharing your screenname or anything, of course), in case you're curious what someone with experience would do in your situation.

mninh0076

I just meant it was my last post defending myself, I appreciate your comments, though like i said i found out after she had bred. but regardless, thanks for your help, and to rhinecat i will likely be in touch.

thanks guys

wolfsoul

I Love My Belgian
Hi there,

I recall you said you couldn't remember if it was hip dysplasia the vet was talking about --- he probably meant luxating patellas. They are VERY common in chis, a highly genetic problem. My friend's chi is going in for surgery to get his corrected.

Either way, both hip dysplasia and luxating patellas can be quite painful and uncomfortable for the dog. Judging by how hereditary both are, in all honesty I would consider aborting the litter. It's only my opinion, but if there is any question that the female isn't healthy, I think it'd be best for the puppies. Nothing should have to live their lives in pain and no owner should be faced with a several hundred dollar surgery because they didn't know any better. Because of her age, you may have to bottle feed the puppies anyways. It's just a risk I wouldn't take, personally, but it is your decision.

Atleast you know now about the difficulties of breeding, even if it is too late. Better late than never, I say. :) Perhaps if you are really interested in breeding, find a good breeder that does health testing and shows and does sports with their dogs, and get a puppy from them. A good breeder will become a mentor for you and help you along the way, and you can become involved in showing, and other fun events. Then when she reaches the appropriate age and passes her health tests, you can breed her. :)

mninh0076

Hmm, this luxating thing, that sounds familiar actually. more familiar than hip displasia. I think perhaps he did say that, but I'm not sure. Either way, I wish I had known about it before they mated. our previous vet had never mentioned it.

I've been reading this forum most the day. I'm very mad at myself and a bit upset that I've gotten myself into this situation. No one had mentioned it to me (health screening and such ), and we had asked the breeder when we got the pups her advice and we've followed what she told us to do to this point. We thought everything would be fine. Boy we were wrong.

I feel guilty now because she is pregnant. I dont agree with human abortions and ive never considered it wtih animals. So now i'm having a huge moral battle in myself over it. the babies are probably alive inside her now... i cant imagine killing them, and it just breaks my heart.

I've got a lot to think over. but we'll see what the third vet says and how the x rays turn out. if indeed she does have a genetic disorder, i may have no other choice but to abort the puppies. this is such a sad day.

I am begining to understand why so many people have been harsh on this forum.

I absolutley never believe in human abortion.

However, I think with animals sometimes it is better then the life they will live. Puppies born with genetic problems usually do not live good lives as they are very costly to care for and most people are not willing to spend the money.

As well, so many animals are euthanized every day because shelters are so full. Next time someone says they want a puppy from your dog, respond with "thank you so much, I really love my dog too. I am not breeding her, why dont you contact a local chi rescue and give a puppy who is already here a good life."

Good Luck with your decision, I am sure it is a hard one.

Elissa

bubbatd

Honey , I feel for you !! Obviously you care . I had to abort a litter.... the most painful thing I've ever done..... but for the welfare of the pups and the breed , it had to be done. A dog sitter allowed my female in heat our with her Dad or Brother or both, And yes , I'm anti abortion .... my grandson with DS is my sweetheart ! But he is ours .... who knows the fate those 8 pups would have had ! Obviously you care ... stick with us !!! We're behind you with your concerns. From what I hear , small breeds have problems whelping. From what I understand , the breeding wasn't your decision. Don't knock yourself !! We're here for you and your pup's welfare .

Roxy's CD

Wow... You bred your dog before she was even two?

I really hope you rethink your decision.

An abortion and spay all at once would be ideal.

Leave breeding to the people who know what they're doing. Who do proper health testing and plan on bettering (had to make up a word :) ) the breed.

Just because your dog is so cute doesn't mean that you should breed her.

I really, truly hope you decide against having a litter.

Take it from a lot of people on this board, I believe one woman almost lost her Chi not even a month ago!!!

Yes, HER DOG DIED ON THE OPERATING TABLE DURING A C-SECTION! They had to revive her dog!

There are SOOO many risks involved with toy/miniature breeds like Chi's it's best left to the people who know what they are doing! As you've stated you basically have no idea what's going on, just that they are "having sex" and puppies should come soon after. You don't know exactly when, but they should be coming.

Do it for the health of your dog.

bubbatd

I'm sure right now the OP is in tears and antagonizing over this . What's done is done .... she now has to handle what's to come . If she goes through with it ... it will probably mean a c sections and 8 to 10 weeks of constant love and care . Chances are the pups with the HD background won't have good homes. The spay/abortion is up to her. Cost , if a factor , would be about the same as a C section. I would never add " issues " to any litter I'd produce. Please keep us up to date on what you plan to do. You need support either way you go .

pitbulliest

I hope she does whats right for the dogs....even though abortion isn't exactly a happy ending..it doesn't seem like the other option is much better...good luck...take good care of the mum.

I know abortion is not a happy thing but it is the best thing probably in your situation.

Look at the good you will be doing too for Chihuahuas all over the place too. You have friends and family who wanted one, I am sure they will be sad and wonder why on earth you would abort them. Especially since they wanted one from you. But you can point out that you were making a big mistake. Your female suffers from Hip Dysplasia (or luxating patella or whatever it ends up being). Tell them that it would be wrong for you to breed her when the puppies would most likely have it too. Tell them that the puppies you would have given them would most likely have it too and it will cost thousands of dollars to correct. Say you couldn't bring it upon yourself to breed her and for being responsible for making that happen when all their puppies end up needing a vet. Even if they saw so what we will deal with that when the time comes. That is completely unfair to the puppies. If you KNOW there is a problem, can you really feel right about breeding the dog?

I would also check for Chi rescues in their area and tell them to find one there, they will have plenty to choose from and they would be saving a life. If they REALLY want one they will consider that. Think if your whole family and all your friends who wanted one all went to rescue, think of how much good you will be doing in saving the lives of Chihuahua's everywhere.

Plus, I would get in touch with the horrible breeder you got your poor dog from and give her an earful about the dogs she is breeding without testing or lying to the new owners about testing them. If you didn't not see any paperwork for testing and don't remember her giving a health guarentee and she obviously is not too responsible if she told you you can breed them that young. At least give her an earful about your dog having hip dysplasia. That is genetic/hereditary and they is what breeders need to test for BEFORE breeding, she obviously didn't do that. She is a horrible breeder.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I think everyone else has addressed the points I was going to make. I would just like to add that I believe it was patellar luxation that your vet was referring to, not hip dysplasia. I have never seen a Chihuahua or similar small breed with HD. Luxating patellas are "slipping kneecaps" and, like hip dysplasia, they come in varying degrees of severity. Luxating patellas are not blatantly obvious unless they are quite severe. The dog can usually move normally but minor impact or an unnatural twist of the leg (losing footing while running, tripping, etc.) can knock the kneecap out of place, causing quite a lot of pain.

Please call your vet and verify which condition it was. Often times, dogs can live with PL (mine does) but HD is more painful and difficult for them.

I can understand if you do not want to abort the litter - but PLEASE spay/neuter the puppies BEFORE they go to new homes. That is the only way that you can be assured they will not be bred. Luxating patellas are very common in the chihuahua breed and breeding dogs with the condition is a terrible choice to make. I'm not going to bash you for what you've done, but please do all you can to prevent this from happening in the future.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
*sigh* I wish Red was still here.. She'd have something amazing to say...

All I can say is good luck.

Its too bad that you didn't take the time to get your dogs health tested first. Eyes checked, hips done, elbows done etc etc..

I just HOPE that all your pups turn out healthy and strong. I also hope that your bitch can handle it :)

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
*sigh* I wish Red was still here.. She'd have something amazing to say...
actually i send her a pm (different forum) about this thread, just cuz i thought her info would really help this person :)

mninh0076 said:
I lost my job the week after they started to have sex. And she was at the vet right before she had sex because i thought she might have a skin problem because her hair became really thin (but its all grown back now) The vet said he thinks she has hip displasia (i think that is what he said it was) I havent had money to go back and get it checked, or to get xrays to see.
mninh0076 said:
Hmm, this luxating thing, that sounds familiar actually. more familiar than hip displasia. I think perhaps he did say that, but I'm not sure. Either way, I wish I had known about it before they mated. our previous vet had never mentioned it.
I am a little confused with the 2 statements that i have highlighted.
When i 1st starting reading your thread i was assuming from the 1st comment that you had Mated them after hearing that she could possibly have HD.....then in this 2nd statement you say that you wished you'd known this Before Mating them??

I can't offer advice b/c i don't know much about Breeding myself.
I do hope that your girl and her puppies survive this and are lucky enough not to suffer the rest of their little lives in pain :(

mninh0076 said:
I feel guilty now because she is pregnant. I dont agree with human abortions and ive never considered it wtih animals. So now i'm having a huge moral battle in myself over it. the babies are probably alive inside her now... i cant imagine killing them, and it just breaks my heart.
Don't look at this as killing the puppies.........look at it as saving them from a life of suffering :) If mum has HD or LP then these puppies will more than likely spend their whole lives riddled with pain.........Aborting would be the best and kindest thing for them and also for mum b/c pregnancy will put alot more strain on her hips IMO :)

mninh0076

to clear that up caren she was at the vet before she got pregnant, but after they had started haxing sex. meaning before she started gaining weight and her nipples and stuff. We didnt really think she'd get pregnant this year because last year she got titties and stuff too but we figured since we know they had sex this year there was a good chance. i told him my fajita had had sex that week and if she were pregnant, he said it were too early to tell anything. The original reason i took her to the vet was because she was missing a patch of hair on her neck, which grew back about a week later randomly and to ask about the pregnancy. but he did talk about her legs or hips.

I've just recently decided she was pregnant as the nipples and stuff have stayed for longer than they did last time.

Either way I've got a list of vets that I am calling today getting prices for abortions/spaying and for xrays.

I thank everyone for your support, ill let you know how it goes. And I too wish i still had the vets contact number, i think my parents tried to call her a couple months ago and it was disconnected. we know where she lives... but itd be weird showing up at her door yelling at her.

it makes me so mad someone can sell us what we thought was a healthy dog and turns out has something genetically wrong wtih it. KNOWING and encouraging us to breed it. Even to breed it before we were supposed to. She acted litk it was simple she said all you have to do is wait until her second heat and make sure the male is smaller than the female. so we didnt think anything of it.

I am Not having babies that will put someone in the same situation. I am so angry at myself/ at the breeder/ at everything right now.

Let this thread be testimony to anyone else that is a BYB (does that mean backyard breeder like do it yourself breeder? i keep seeing that on the boards lol) But like i said, i hope this servers for example for someone else who maybe be thinking about breeding their own dogs their self.

and i havent thought of this yet, but my paco probably has something too, which i guess ill have to get him tested for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mninh0076
I lost my job the week after they started to have sex. And she was at the vet right before she had sex because i thought she might have a skin problem because her hair became really thin (but its all grown back now) The vet said he thinks she has hip displasia (i think that is what he said it was) I havent had money to go back and get it checked, or to get xrays to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mninh0076

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.