Genetic health guarantee

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
Ok so i just looking through kennels and i was looking through one trying to find evidence of health testing,
they were a nice looking canadian kennel, and all i could find was

We guarantee our puppies to be in good health at the time of sale and provide a two-year temperament and genetic health guarantee.
does this mean tht they are health tested or what?

p.s red i tried to send you a pm about this but it wouldnt let me

L

LabBreeder

Nope. It doesn't mean they are health tested. If they've had tests (i.e. CERF/OFA) they will tell you and show the results of the testing. A 2 year guarantee is good, but you need to find out what they are guaranteeing.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
A two year guarantee is not good. Many genetic diseases don't show up until after two years of age. And no, it doesn't mean they health test. If there is nothing about OFA, CERF or other such breed specific health testing on their site, I doubt they do it. Try national breed club websites, they often have breeder referral.

bubbatd

Agree.... both lines may have all the testing in the world, but no breeder can guarantee no health problems will arise .

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Summit is right on- I would think very carefully about purchasing from any breeder who "boasts" a 2 year genetic health guarantee. Considering that in a lot of breeds we like to test hips AT 2 years of age (when the dog is done fully maturing), this is a poor deal, and a rather sneaky way of *looking* responsible while skirting the issue. I would want to see results from my potential pup's sire and dam, and indeed, the rest of the breeding stock. OFA and CERF at the very least, and then anything breed-specific. (For example, BAER testing in Australian Cattle Dogs or Dals).

sophie

summitview said:
A two year guarantee is not good. Many genetic diseases don't show up until after two years of age. And no, it doesn't mean they health test. If there is nothing about OFA, CERF or other such breed specific health testing on their site, I doubt they do it. Try national breed club websites, they often have breeder referral.
Amen!!

I wouldn't accept anything but a lifetime guarantee. A 2 yr is almost always worthless and meaningless, especially for my breed where most health conditions don't arise until adulthood (generally 2-5 yrs).

L

LabBreeder

Ok, obviously a lifetime guarantee is as good as you can ever get. I was always under the assumption that a 2 year guarantee was good. I've even read on here...somewhere...that 2 years was a good guarantee. Anything less was considered bad. :confused: I do see the point though. Lifetime is what you want regardless of what testing the parents have had.

L

LabBreeder

Ok, so if 2 years is bad and a lifetime isn't going to happen...then what is a good health guarantee? Seriously.

sophie

bubbatd said:
Sorry , but no breeder could give a lifetime guarantee ....
Sure about that?

Because I know a handful that do :rolleyes: They stand behind the dogs they sell, I admire them for that, and enjoy handling for them.

Why do you think they couldn't?

bubbatd

I only stated that as things can pop up as a dog ages.... through no fault of the breeder.

sophie

bubbatd said:
I only stated that as things can pop up as a dog ages.... through no fault of the breeder.
There are some health conditions that, no, a breeder wouldn't be responsible for. So let me rephrase:

I wouldn't except anything less that a lifetime guarantee against congenital and hereditary conditions.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Sophie what do you consider to be a genetic problem that should be covered in a lifetime guarantee?
Just curious:confused:

sophie

MomOf7 said:
Sophie what do you consider to be a genetic problem that should be covered in a lifetime guarantee?
Just curious:confused:
As a breeder, what do you think should be included (for your breed) and excluded?

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
sophie said:
As a breeder, what do you think should be included (for your breed) and excluded?
Redirecting the question is not an answer. I am truelly curious as to what kinds of genetic problems you want a breeder to guarantee for life. I am not avoiding your question as I will answer after you have posted yours.

sophie

MomOf7 said:
Redirecting the question is not an answer. I am truelly curious as to what kinds of genetic problems you want a breeder to guarantee for life. I am not avoiding your question as I will answer after you have posted yours.
I think that would be a long list to name all congenital and hereditary conditions. Where would you like me to start?

Your turn? :) :rolleyes:

bubbatd

I would like to see the answer too . I know as a breeder who did eye/hip/heart etc. before breeding , I couldn't guarantee these wouldn't show up . My contracts did say I would take any pup back that didn't vet check. If something came up at ages 5 to 10 , where would one draw the line ?? I don't think anyone could state a lifetime guarantee.

sophie

bubbatd said:
I know as a breeder who did eye/hip/heart etc. before breeding , I couldn't guarantee these wouldn't show up . My contracts did say I would take any pup back that didn't vet check. If something came up at ages 5 to 10 , where would one draw the line ?? I don't think anyone could state a lifetime guarantee.
To me, a guarantee doesn't mean that the dog will be perfectly healthy and no conditions would ever show up - to me it means if it DID happen, the breeder would take responsibility (not always taking the dog back, either).

Different views on this I suppose.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I would say that it depends upon the condition. I guarantee my pups easily for a lifetime against Collie Eye Anomaly and PRA, for instance.

Members online

No members online now.