Why do you lurk?

Snark

Mutts to you
Why don't I post?

1. I often don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said.
2. I seem to always be late to the party. When I do have something to say, it often ends up being on a thread that's already died.
3. Lots of times when I read over what I've typed, I'm unhappy with how what I intended to say came off.
4. Although I know there are a few people near my age (I'm 58), It does sometimes feel a little strange to be so much older than most on here. I must say though that I am always suprised when I find out how young some people are because they seem so mature.
5. I have a black labX. I think he's wonderful, silly, lots of fun and beautiful, but really, for various reasons, we don't do anything nearly as interesting as most of you and on top of that I'm a lousy photographer. Also, he's a really good dog so I don't even have anything to complain about.
1 thru 4... and I seem to kill threads when I do post, or maybe they were already dying and I just pushed them over the cliff.

Lyzelle

I lurk mostly because I feel like I have nothing to add. Or because I can't get what I want to say across well enough.

Or if I do have something to add, I typically won't if I feel like I'm just going to get an "I'm older/better/more experienced/you don't know anything/stupid kid/whatever" response.

I also won't post if I feel like things are getting cliquey. Like there's a thread going, but all posts except by those few in that "group" are getting ignored. I feel that way in chat rooms too. No point in having a "community" if only a few are ever going to get noticed or responded to.

So I prefer to duck out rather than deal with any of the above.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Lurking is just in my nature lol. The internet version of myself is pretty similar to the real me - I just don't have much to say, and don't share my thoughts unless I feel like they're actually worth sharing.

Plus when it actually comes to dog stuff, most of you are way more informed than I am.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
It's like first day at the middle school lunch room lol I've done intro posts at a few forums and have hesitated to get involved, it's a little scary and you don't "know" people yet and it's just..tough to get into it.

Plus websites have a way of being forgotten if they don't fall into my routine or do nothing to engage me.

1. Small breed/chihuahua forums are a beast I hope to never again encounter. Weight obsessed and 10000 smileys and nobody really debates much of anything just cute pictures, happy happy happy comments and weight charts.. lots of weight charts.

2. Other dog forums. I always end up back here lol

Is it weird that I'm so used to lurking I'm having trouble de-lurking even just for one post?

I love chaz! ... and I love it because IRL, although I know lots of dog owners, none of them are as dog crazy as I am. My dog is my best friend and this is the only place I know where lots of people seem to feel the same.
Same here! I love this place: the information, the photography, the debates... ;) Most interesting and least crazy dog forum I've ever read. I've learned a ton since I first registered back in the olden days (2005-06?), but like a lot of the other lurkers in this thread, I just don't feel like I have much to add once I've read through a thread. Plus, I'm insanely introverted, so it's more fun to read along than to jump in and post.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Is it weird that I'm so used to lurking I'm having trouble de-lurking even just for one post?
I was just thinking that :p

I post, I mean, I guess I post enough that I feel like most people on here "know" who I am, but most of the time I don't feel like talking, or I'm just popping in to make sure nothing has exploded, or whatever.

I also go through periods where I don't stfu, and periods where I don't say anything for weeks though, so, yeah.

Doberluv

LOL, I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for some time now, but of course I never got around to it. I was going to call it "Okay, fellow lurkers, come out of the woodwork and tell us why you don't post"

I love chaz! I've been lurking here since spring 2009 (under a different user name for the first couple of years, but I forgot my password) and I love it because IRL, although I know lots of dog owners, none of them are as dog crazy as I am. My dog is my best friend and this is the only place I know where lots of people seem to feel the same.

Why don't I post?

1. I often don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said.
2. I seem to always be late to the party. When I do have something to say, it often ends up being on a thread that's already died.
3. Lots of times when I read over what I've typed, I'm unhappy with how what I intended to say came off.
4. Although I know there are a few people near my age (I'm 58), It does sometimes feel a little strange to be so much older than most on here. I must say though that I am always suprised when I find out how young some people are because they seem so mature.
5. I have a black labX. I think he's wonderful, silly, lots of fun and beautiful, but really, for various reasons, we don't do anything nearly as interesting as most of you and on top of that I'm a lousy photographer. Also, he's a really good dog so I don't even have anything to complain about.

PS I think it's funny that, probably the longest post I've ever made, is about why I don't post
:rofl1:

Too funny. Hey, I'm exactly the same age as you are. Yeah!!! I thought I was the only oldster. I'm glad I'm not. I hope you post more.

I do love young people though and I even hang out with them quite a bit in "real" life...my daughter, son and their friends. They think I'm really hip. Or at least that's what they say to make me feel good.

But I know what you guys mean about sometimes not really having much to add or being busy or even just feeling quiet. But it doesn't usually last too long for me. LOL.

There's a lurker on here who is also one of my coworkers.

I keep telling her to post an intro thread and she keeps NOT doing it :p

ETA: I lurk mainly on the OES forum that I'm on because I don't have a whole lot in common with the other members. I mainly comment on cute pictures and the nutrition threads when I think I have information that can help :)
Thank-you so much for goading me into this. :banana: Hello all I'm the lurker. For the time being I lurk because I know that the majority of my questions have already been answered, and find them using the search forum option. Also on nights like tonight, I feel like I have used up my talking quotient for the day. In a week or so, when I have my next day off I will make a proper intro.

Just have to say, Going to the Wolf Center tomorrow for work. Woot! Yeah, thats right in your face:D

Doberluv

Who is in the cliquey group or the "in crowd?" This has been mentioned a few times. Am I really this oblivious or unobservant? Is it that a few people have become extra friendly with each other so they naturally have more of a back and forth thing?

Something else that bothered me and I'm also guilty of it is, that hardly anyone responds to each other in many of the threads. (or is that just the nature of the beast? Could I be imagining things?) Now naturally, you can't respond to everyone all the time or you couldn't get around and visit very many threads. It would take all day just to answer everyone on that one thread. As it is, some of us have to zip through because we have limited time on some days or every day. But it is kind of disappointing sometimes. Like today, there was a thread about good combinations of dogs. I posted what I thought was a darling picture of the combination of dogs I had in my household at one time. They were quite an odd combination because of vast differences in size. They were all piled up in a heap with my son in there too. But no one even noticed. And since everyone pretty much doesn't respond to very many posts, I kind of don't either as much as I should or even as much as I'd like to because it's like....what's the use. (?) Is that how some of you feel?

I wish we could rig up some kind of thing where everyone would try more to make some little comment or something to more posts. Of course, like I said, you can't get to everyone's...especially if you're not even on here that much. So any ideas? Or is nobody going to respond? LOL.

So, is that what you mean by cliquey or "in crowd?" Is it that only a few people respond to each other's posts and always the same ones? To me, it just looks like everyone writes something, the posts get read (maybe) and that is that. So, sometimes it feels like you're having a conversation with yourself. I do that enough as it is. Don't need more of it. :D

Now I'm not whining mind you....because I do the same thing. And I don't live for constant attention or feed back. But a little bit more of noticing other peoples' posts might be nicer, not to mention, more interesting. It's like in real life. Did you ever talk to someone who doesn't seem to register anything you say and they turn everything back to themselves or something to do with themselves? They hardly make a comment at all about what you just said... and just start telling you a story about their own thing? You say something and they say only, "that reminds me of the time when me, myself, and I............" LOL.

So, when I do get to spend more time on the computer....as the weather gets crummy around here and there's not so much outside work, I am going to turn over a new leaf and try and respond to more posts in the threads I'm active in....that IS...if I have something of even the most minute substance to add. I won't be able to get to every post. That would impossible. But I'm going to try to respond to more of them than I have been....with the exception of one thing: If something is really ticking me off and I'm afraid the next thing I'll type is really rotten, I better not dive into that one. I have been known to get kind of dicey at times.

So, anyone with me? Wha? Hello? Anyone here? :rofl1: J/K.

Doberluv

Thank-you so much for goading me into this. :banana: Hello all I'm the lurker. For the time being I lurk because I know that the majority of my questions have already been answered, and find them using the search forum option. Also on nights like tonight, I feel like I have used up my talking quotient for the day. In a week or so, when I have my next day off I will make a proper intro.

Just have to say, Going to the Wolf Center tomorrow for work. Woot! Yeah, thats right in your face:D

Glad you're here!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Well... I've pretty much spent all day checking back to lurk this thread.

I used to post ALL the time years ago. I mostly lurk now and I'll be the first to admit I'm bad at even responding to my own threads. I post when I can if I feel I want to add input to something, but usually what I want to say has been said already so I don't bother.

I do try to stay out of the 'debate' threads a bit. I don't like debating at all and while it seems most can handle debating in a very civil matter and still go on being friends etc, I tend to take things personally pretty easy (I'm emotional) and my feelings get hurt so its just easier for me to not voice my opinion sometimes. I do read a lot of the debate threads. Color me curious what other people have to say.

I mostly post from my phone and its annoying to type on a touch screen so that's another reason I don't post as often.

Brattina88

I read every single day, multiple times a day. Usually I only respond if I feel like I have something constructive to say. Sometimes I tell myself I am going to post in a thread later when I get on a real computer (and not my phone) but sometimes I just don't get around to it until the thread has pretty much died out lol. Life happens
And, typically, other people word things much better than I can so I don't bother. As for picture threads and the like, I don't feel like my photos are that great, my dogs arent popular or anything (haha) and its so easier to post them on facebook and get a couple likes and thats it :eek: lol
And I annoy myself with when I say "awwww how cute" posts I post when commenting on picture threads. Even though its a true statement ;) lol

BeachBum

aka PretzelDog
Who is in the cliquey group or the "in crowd?" This has been mentioned a few times. Am I really this oblivious or unobservant? Is it that a few people have become extra friendly with each other so they naturally have more of a back and forth thing? I don't see this either. I think the so called "in crowd" are just the people who post a lot and maybe are inclined to share more personal information. I enjoy those conversations, but it's something I find hard to do because I'm a really private person.

.....Like today, there was a thread about good combinations of dogs. I posted what I thought was a darling picture of the combination of dogs I had in my household at one time. They were quite an odd combination because of vast differences in size. They were all piled up in a heap with my son in there too. But no one even noticed. I saw that picture and thought it was "darling", but of course, I didn't say anything :rolleyes:
I keep telling myself I'm going to make an effort to post more, I do it for awhile and then always end up falling back into lurker mode.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I've been lurking for months.
I joined Chaz the day I found it like 7 years ago but I fade in and out.
Sometimes it's because I'm busy, some times I don't feel like I have anything to add, sometimes I want a step back from the drama and sometimes I have "omg, everyone hates me. I'm not in the clique." phases so I just lurk around till I'm comfortable to get back into it again.

I dunno.. I got super busy a few months ago and lsot track of a lot of whats going on. If I'm busy with the dogs I feel guilty being on here too much.

Jenne

Ball Thrower
Who is in the cliquey group or the "in crowd?" This has been mentioned a few times. Am I really this oblivious or unobservant? Is it that a few people have become extra friendly with each other so they naturally have more of a back and forth thing? Pretty much. There is a core group that is really close and sometimes it feels like you're interrupting when you post on a thread where they are having a conversation.

Something else that bothered me and I'm also guilty of it is, that hardly anyone responds to each other in many of the threads. (or is that just the nature of the beast? Could I be imagining things?) Now naturally, you can't respond to everyone all the time or you couldn't get around and visit very many threads. It would take all day just to answer everyone on that one thread. As it is, some of us have to zip through because we have limited time on some days or every day. But it is kind of disappointing sometimes. Like today, there was a thread about good combinations of dogs. I posted what I thought was a darling picture of the combination of dogs I had in my household at one time. They were quite an odd combination because of vast differences in size. They were all piled up in a heap with my son in there too. But no one even noticed. And since everyone pretty much doesn't respond to very many posts, I kind of don't either as much as I should or even as much as I'd like to because it's like....what's the use. (?) Is that how some of you feel? I do. I have posted a few threads and received a lackluster response.

I wish we could rig up some kind of thing where everyone would try more to make some little comment or something to more posts. Of course, like I said, you can't get to everyone's...especially if you're not even on here that much. So any ideas? Or is nobody going to respond? LOL. On some forums there are reputation points or you can like a post. Something like that can make people feel better about posting if they are receiving that kind of feedback instead of people responding to their post. It can be abused though.

So, is that what you mean by cliquey or "in crowd?" Is it that only a few people respond to each other's posts and always the same ones? To me, it just looks like everyone writes something, the posts get read (maybe) and that is that. So, sometimes it feels like you're having a conversation with yourself. I do that enough as it is. Don't need more of it. :D

Now I'm not whining mind you....because I do the same thing. And I don't live for constant attention or feed back. But a little bit more of noticing other peoples' posts might be nicer, not to mention, more interesting. It's like in real life. Did you ever talk to someone who doesn't seem to register anything you say and they turn everything back to themselves or something to do with themselves? They hardly make a comment at all about what you just said... and just start telling you a story about their own thing? You say something and they say only, "that reminds me of the time when me, myself, and I............" LOL.

So, when I do get to spend more time on the computer....as the weather gets crummy around here and there's not so much outside work, I am going to turn over a new leaf and try and respond to more posts in the threads I'm active in....that IS...if I have something of even the most minute substance to add. I won't be able to get to every post. That would impossible. But I'm going to try to respond to more of them than I have been....with the exception of one thing: If something is really ticking me off and I'm afraid the next thing I'll type is really rotten, I better not dive into that one. I have been known to get kind of dicey at times.

So, anyone with me? Wha? Hello? Anyone here? :rofl1: J/K.
Answers in bold...

SaraB

I wish we had a "like" option on posts as well. One of the forums I was on in the past had that option and when I didn't have time to write out a full response or someone had already posted what I was going to post it was easy to just hit that "like" button.

I wish we had a "like" option on posts as well. One of the forums I was on in the past had that option and when I didn't have time to write out a full response or someone had already posted what I was going to post it was easy to just hit that "like" button.
YES YES YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!! I totally agree, That's one thing I've been loving about Facebook, the option to tell people "I'm still paying attention, just don't have the time to reply, and I agree/love it", which is one reason I've been more active there recently than anywhere else, it's just, quick and easy, lol.

Taqroy

DOBER NO SPIDER PICTURES. Lol.

who is in the cliquey group or the "in crowd?" this has been mentioned a few times. Am i really this oblivious or unobservant? Is it that a few people have become extra friendly with each other so they naturally have more of a back and forth thing?
I really hate the word clique - to me it implies that people are being exclusive and horrible on purpose. And, at least on Chaz, I think (hope) that's very rarely the case. It's more that a lot of people know each other very well (more than most people on the internet) and threads are more like a conversation than a...thread. I guess.

something else that bothered me and i'm also guilty of it is, that hardly anyone responds to each other in many of the threads. (or is that just the nature of the beast? Could i be imagining things?) now naturally, you can't respond to everyone all the time or you couldn't get around and visit very many threads. It would take all day just to answer everyone on that one thread. As it is, some of us have to zip through because we have limited time on some days or every day. But it is kind of disappointing sometimes. Like today, there was a thread about good combinations of dogs. I posted what i thought was a darling picture of the combination of dogs i had in my household at one time. They were quite an odd combination because of vast differences in size. They were all piled up in a heap with my son in there too. But no one even noticed. And since everyone pretty much doesn't respond to very many posts, i kind of don't either as much as i should or even as much as i'd like to because it's like....what's the use. (?) is that how some of you feel?

I wish we could rig up some kind of thing where everyone would try more to make some little comment or something to more posts. Of course, like i said, you can't get to everyone's...especially if you're not even on here that much. So any ideas? Or is nobody going to respond? Lol.
I think everyone has this at some point. I've seen longstanding member threads (including mine) go completely unanswered. Unfortunately part of being on the internet is not letting it get to you - I do better some days than others. I think a like button would help out a lot.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I don't feel as though there is a clique. But then again I happen to think very highly of myself and I can't imagine people excluding me :p

Members online

No members online now.