Minor Problem

Duchess was a puppy mill dog..she's 6 years old and i've had her for 4 years..
When i take her to my sisters house for Sunday supper she poops on the basement floor.Even after i take her for a walk before going over and she does her job it still happens..She doesn't do this at home.My sister has 4 kids
that Duchess must visit many times during the Sunday supper..generally well behaved except for the barking that Terriers normally do.
This happens EVERY time i take her over to my sister's not just once in a while..She cries when i don't take her there...They have a monster yard and she get to play in it every time she goes there..She's trying to tell me something but what??

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I believe she's trying to tell you that her early upbringing as a puppymill dog is so engrained that she can't help but go on a concrete floor. Does she do this at your house at all?

A few things you can try include cleaning up the area with an enymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle to remove any scent cues that tell her "go here". Keep her leashed to you when the two of you are visiting so that she doesn't have the opportunity to go down to the basement and make a mess. Is the basement unfinshed or has it been turned into a game room of sorts for the kids and that's why she's down there?

It sounds like she's a happy dog, but some things are harder to overcome.

Funny thing is she's never done it in the basement here..my sister's is a finished basement and we do use that cleaner..I make it a point to take her for a walk before we go there but still leaves something downstairs..The kids do play downstairs and she seems to love being with them ..

Kind of a mixture..i have pictures but not on a web page..she's black and white... a stable 30 Lbs..The ladie that grooms her couldn't give me an idea of the type she is..extremly long coat,,

otch1

There's nothing exciting in your basement! lol This is not uncommon. The dog is quiet and has her routine well established at your home. Then, she's in an evironment where she suddenly doubles her activity level and everything "loosens up' as a result. If she still has undigested food in her intestine, by the end of an hours playtime, it's time to go. Kids are not paying attention to this, unable to read signs that she has to go potty, so she goes discreatly, in the basement. You said "supper" and in the midwest where my mothers families' from that means lunch here. 2:00 to 3:00? Reccommend Sundays, since you go almost every weekend, you feed breakfast an hour earlier, at home. 7am ideally, then no second meal for the dog until you've gotten in from family gathering that evening. No snacks from the kids, or them sneaking any people food to her. This gives her 6 or 7 hrs to make sure bowels are empty before taking her to the family gathering. If you're going at another time of day her playtime with the kids should be outdoors, no unsupervised time in the basement. If they say she went potty outside, great, then she's free to play with them downstairs. If she hasn't pottied, then when she comes indoors she should come upstairs to you, as you know how to read signs when she has to go out. Shouldn't take more than a few visits to break her of this, once she has an established potty schedule at your sisters too. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.