canned salmon?

I was at wal-mart this weekend grocery shopping and found canned salmon in the tuna isle. The first can I picked up said "wild caught Alaskan salmon". I continued to read the label and saw "fresh FARMED salmon". The can went back on the shelf. The next two didn't say anything about being farmed, but I decided to ask here first. I feed some raw turkey as a treat and sometimes in the kibble. I would like to add some salmon, but is any of the canned decent, or should I just go with salmon oil? We can't afford to feed only raw, but I do feed some for extra nutrition. I will hold off buying the salmon until I hear from some of your opions.

BlueChaos

Its not that big of a deal imo, unfortunately most of the fish is farmed and wild caught is ridiculously expensive, you could add some to the dogs food, but if youre looking for a skin supplement, its not enough to make a significant different unless fed in large quantaties, so go with salmon oil.

I'm pretty sure sardines are not farmed, so you can get those instead, check out Big Lots, theyre less expensive there.

With any canned meat use it sparingly because of the salt content.

I would spend my money on salmon oil, and use any extra for recreational bones to keep the teeth clean.

Tnks ya'll! I was concerned about the salt as well. It looked rather high. I think I will just stick with the oil.

Bailey08

You can rinse the food. My resources suggest feeding canned fish (pink salmon, jack mackerel or sardines) once or so a week. (As an aside, I actually don't do this because it's sometimes hard to get Bailey to eat it and I don't like to be left with a can's worth of stinky fish! My point is just that feeding 1-2xs a week is fine.) On the days you feed fish, you don't have to supplement with fish oil, but you should do so on the days you feed other foods.

FYI, canned fish actually isn't raw, but many raw feeders feed it.

You can rinse the food. My resources suggest feeding canned fish (pink salmon, jack mackerel or sardines) once or so a week. (As an aside, I actually don't do this because it's sometimes hard to get Bailey to eat it and I don't like to be left with a can's worth of stinky fish! My point is just that feeding 1-2xs a week is fine.) On the days you feed fish, you don't have to supplement with fish oil, but you should do so on the days you feed other foods.

FYI, canned fish actually isn't raw, but many raw feeders feed it.
Wow, thats interesting. I thaught it was raw. I don't think I will feed it after reading your post, considering the two who I had planned on giving it to are on the picky side. I'm like you, I'd rather not get stuck with stinky uneaten fish. I would have to throw it out in the big can outside so the inside trash dosn't have that smell. Got a feelin' that is what would happen!

Members online

No members online now.