TJ's foot fetish????

Lou

My 6 month old shih-poo gets crazy hyper everytime someone enters the room. Weird thing is, he'll jump on you (okay that's the normal part) but he'll then start digging and nibbling at my feet? :eek: Why does he do that? How do I teach him to stop biting? I know he is still somewhat of a puppy but will his puppy biting ever stop? And why does he love feet so much?? :confused:

You need to start working on his biting now. Tell him 'No,' then substitute a chew toy and pet him.

I'd guess that he goes for your feet because he's a little dog and that's the easiest, closest part of you for him to get to. He also probably gets a great reaction, toes wiggling, a few shrill sounds out of you, feet moving around so that he can have fun chasing; you get the idea.

So, first, take away the immediate fun. Don't (if you can help it) move your feet around or wiggle your toes; tell him to 'Sit.' When he's sitting, he can't chase feet.

If you'll read the thread about Penny the Golden and her exuberant greetings you'll get some great tips.

MEG126

yes my dog is obsessed with licking your feet. it's disgusting and i've tried to break her of the habit but given as my mother allows her to sit there and lick her feet for like ten minutes, it's NOT working. (grr) but penny did the puppy nip stuff too. we'd just hold her muzzle whenever she nipped at us. she's three now and the nipping has stopped. except sometimes we'll be playing (ok canna rough, i admit but it's all my fault, and she knows when to stop) and she'll start nipping (just playfully, like she doesn't mean agression by it) but i'll just stop playing with her and say no in an authoritative (sp?) voice and she stops. good luck!!

Well, Meg, I think you're stuck with a foot-licking dog. It is kind of eeyuck when you just think about it as licking feet, but - and this makes it easier to accept - dogs have all kinds of antibacterials and other neat things in their mouths that can be very beneficial. I even read about a man whose dog kept licking his feet; the dog wouldn't quit no matter what the guy tried, but when he realized that his athletes foot was cured it suddenly wasn't such a bad thing anymore.

MEG126

yea she doesn't try and lick my feet anymore. just my mom's because she lets her get away with it. if she wanted to break penny of the habit i think it could be done, but it's clearly not gonna work if i'm training her not to and my mom is telling her it's perfectly ok. yea i always knew there was great stuff in that slober. :) if only i had athlete's foot. ;)

Members online

No members online now.