Has Your Dog Ever Snapped at Anyone?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
The only time Molly has snapped at someone was when my cousin was being stupid and trying to pick her up. :rolleyes: Molly was laying down, so it must have hurt her or something because that's so unlike her.

Lucy's never snapped...she just play nips sometimes.

Both dogs don't mind when toys are taken from their mouths.

The only time Caza snapped is when some idiot Cesar Millan wannabe (the message that man is sending out about stringing your dogs up is going to get alot of people hurt, because there are MANY dogs like Caza who will not accept that and turn around and bite you) decided to correct him and Caza wasnt having that. And he snapped at me once, corrected it and he never did it again.

Dani

Ninja Dog
Bear has never snapped at anyone. She was quite wary of men when we first adopted her, and she growled a little, but never has she tried to bite. She's much better around strange men now, and is very friendly.

bubbatd

Having only had Goldens.... I really would like to know more about Chessies !! I don't think Ollie has that much in him , but he's sure not like the Golden's I've raised for 60 years !! I guess " raised " is the clue ! I have no idea of what his background was.

iheartsammy said:
((oh god, here comes the dog whisperer fight again...))
I'm sorry, but the message he's sending out about taking a dog and just correcting the heck out of them is going to get people hurt, like the girl who tried to string Caza up, which is something she "learned" from the dog whisperer. Not all dogs will sit back and let you do that.

Brattina88

^^ dogs shouldn't have to tolerate that :(

None of mine have ever snapped at somebody in a situation like this. But then again I have never let it get this far to where somebody cornered my dogs. Missy has given a very hard look and started to grumble (brothers friend stepped on her tail and reached for her collar :confused: ), but with an "eh-eh" I got her to stop (and a "get away from my dog!!")

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Lizzie did bite one person but not on perpuse. We took Lizzie to a pet parade(my sister's friends b-day party) so we went(not a good idea) she did fine but in the end one boston had gone out then can running back in and ran up to the dogs and the other dogs started to growl at the boston she of corse Lizzie had to also. Then the boston had run up to Lizzie and started to growl and she growled back and started to bark so I backed up with her as far as possible to get her away and was in a corner(Lizzie hates being backed into a corner so that did it for her) and the boston was still coming(it was on a retractible leash) so the bostons owner put her hand in the middle of the boston and Lizzie(not a good idea) and Lizzie was barking and the girl put her hand down their and it ended up in Lizzie's mouth and went into the skin. Thank goodness the girl was my best friend so she was okay! I have learned my leason no mre parties for Lizzie unless they are outside on nutrale ground for the dogs!

Ashlea

He is a border collie. He will not be all that fond of kids, ever. Now I know people are going to argue that there are borders who like kids, I know there are, just not all that many. He is a focused hearding breed. It is normal for him to be one or two people orientated. And the attitude. That is what I love about borders! LOL

With my dogs I give people 2 very clear warnings that they are not social with children and if kids want to pat/stroke they must do so with my supervision and do so gently. If they chose to ignore they are going to get bitten by my little one, Aeron will never bite but she will growl. There is only so much one can do with kids who insist on invading you space.

moonchild1970 said:
Someone at the park tried to grab poppy's face and pry the ball out of his mouth, and when he growled they ignored it and kept trying to get the ball and he snapped at them and kind of ran at them... I'm really upset about this. My husband says he doesn't like where this is going and thinks poppy's had an attitude problem.
I've had a dog who would never snap or charge a kid, no matter what the provocation. She was naturally fantastic with people, kindly and generous, because we sure never trained her to be like that. I've also had a dog who was not even remotely good with people, and now I have a dog who is friendly and happy but also a little too high-strung to be reliable without direct supervision. The first would never snap, the second snapped rarely but always seriously, and the last will snap if she's wound up. So I've run the gamut of temperaments, in a way.

Poppy seems to fall into the middle - pleasant and friendly, but can be provoked fairly easily into displays of aggression. I think training - basic obedience training, as well as a negative (verbal no, end of play time, etc.) when she's aggressive will temper that. But I would always bear in mind that she's not the most mellow dog. I think that's where people sometimes get into trouble - they hope/believe/expect that their dog is more tolerant than they really are, and let them get into bad situations. Not to say that she can't play in the park, etc., but that she needs a higher level of supervision than the sort of dog who, if someone wrests a ball from their mouth, naturally just wags its tail.

Members online

No members online now.