2013 Official Chaz Weight Loss Challenge

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
My note for the day - DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!

For some unknown reason yesterday, I let my beverages be mostly the "non water" variety. Cafinated drinks, diet sodas, etc. No alcohol, but I woke up today feeling very much like I was hungover.

I'm on my 2nd tall glass of water this morning and a huge jug ready for my games tonight.

Drink up, people!

Last edited:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So good and bad.

Good first. On a whim two friends and I signed up for personal training. $100 for 25 sessions with $80 returned if we go to 80% of the sessions, do a full screening before and after the program starts, see a 5% increase or more in one 'reading', and go to the gym 5x a month outside our sessions. The trainer will also do some classes on nutrition and sleep and will teach us to use machines correctly. It's through my work. I'm excited and scared. I'm way out of shape but its a good start. It will be nice to have real concrete results before me.

Bad news: I had my first coke in a month. Failed willpower. But it tastes nasty so maybe that was a good thing. I got about 1/4th drunk and can't finish the rest.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Haven't updated in a little while. Still keeping busy and staying active. I don't do a "formal" workout on game days (well, sometimes, but not generally) and I've started riding my bike more. Weight loss has slowed, but that is to be expected. We are in the last week of a weight-loss challenge I joined on another forum where I'm leading and should cash out pretty handily, so it's a good day :)

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Final measurements are in... 4.25" more lost this month for a grand total of 25.5" lost overall!

Plus massive improvements in my fitness tests. =)

Pictures to come... Maybe lol.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Final measurements are in... 4.25" more lost this month for a grand total of 25.5" lost overall!

Plus massive improvements in my fitness tests. =)

Pictures to come... Maybe lol.
25" lost? That's amazing! I'm assuming that is cumulative of all areas you are measuring. If that is a waist measurement only, that's super impressive! Congratulations on your success!

RD

Are you dead yet?
I feel like Fatty McMooCow over here. Haven't lost any more weight. Super discouraged, and also extremely financially stressed since my roommate is unemployed and I'm feeding him too.

I wasn't doing full paleo but I was trying to cut as much grain and processed food as possible, and I was feeling so much better! Now I'm back to eating grain and processed food because, hey, guess what's SUPER CHEAP? Ugh.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Eggs are super cheap. Buy whatever veggies and fruits are on sale. If your budget is really that tight, it's not paleo, but rice is cheap and is generally well digested by most people. Very carb-y unfortunately, but better than eating processed food and not feeling well.

It's tempting to buy processed foods because they appear cheap (especially when they are on sale.) But honestly, since going primal, I find my grocery bills have mostly stayed the same and sometimes have even gone down.

Breakfast: I bought two dozen eggs ($3), a pound of ground pork from the counter ($2), an 8 ounce block of cheddar cheese (frequently on sale for $2.) $7 total. I made 24 breakfast muffins from all this, and I eat two for breakfast, so it makes 12 breakfasts.
That is 58 cents per breakfast.

Lunch is an apple and natural peanut butter - not paleo or primal, but I'm on a tight budget too, so I buy the PB instead of almond butter. The peanut butter is $2.79 for a jar if I haven't bought it on sale. 16 ounces, that's 32 tablespoons, 16 two tablespoon servings or 17 cents per serving. The average apple, rounding up, is about a quarter of a pound. Apples are about $2/pound if they're not on sale, so 50 cents for the apple.
67 cents.

Snack is two ounces of cheese sliced off an 8 ounce block, so 50 cents for the cheese, and a quarter cup of almonds, bought in bulk, 48 ounces for $12 - a quarter per ounce, quarter cup is two ounces so 50 cents.

Last night I ate pork meatballs and sweet potato for dinner. The pork was $2 for a pound and I ate half of it. The sweet potato was 79 cents a pound - it wasn't actually a full pound, but let's say it was. $1.79.

58 cents + 67 cents + $1 + $1.79 = $4.04. And all of that is rounded up on weights, and assumes I didn't buy anything but the cheese on sale (cheese is ALWAYS on sale here!)
Even if I were eating almond butter, that would still land me under $5/day to eat fully primal. About the only way I could think to beat that and make a significant cost difference would be if I were eating ramen for every meal.

All that lands me at 1800 calories, 104g of protein, 125g of fat, and 58g net carbs. Protein could be a bit higher but not too bad.

It really is tempting to buy the packaged stuff because that's the stuff that always has big flashy sale tags on it, and veggies and fruit often don't. I haven't seen apples on sale for almost a month here, any variety. During the winter at least one variety was on sale every week. But when you actually calculate it out, it's surprising how much money you aren't saving. Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive! You don't have to buy almond flour or coconut flour, or big jars of coconut oil, organic produce, grass-fed meats, or whatever else "paleo people" will tell you to pick up. Buy the best meat you can - for me that means I buy stuff they pack up fresh at the meat counter rather than something pre-packaged and branded - pick good fruits and veggies. An apple is going to cost me about the same as a package of ramen but it's NOT going to make me feel like crap.

I wouldn't even be super concerned with weight loss right now... just worry about eating well. It will help you feel better overall.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
In the same boat, RD. Went grocery shopping with Rick, was feeling super stressed... looking at what I bought last night, and I'm mortified.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I have been back on board with getting fit for 6 weeks now, and back on board with healthy eating for about 2-3ish weeks? I'm not doing any particular diet, just trying to stick with more meat/yogurt/veggies and less of the bad stuff. Some days I do better than others. And I pretty much give myself a free pass when it comes to weekend evenings with friends over (I had pizza last weekend, but I said NO to soda! Baby steps :p), but I'm noticing that the more I exercise, the harder I work on eating healthy, because I don't want to waste the workout!

No real point to this post, other than that I'm hitting the point where I'm concerned about what goes into my body because of how it will provide my body with fuel to succeed at my workouts.

I've also not stepped on the scale since restarting, and I don't plan to! :D

ETA: I'm in week 6 of C25K, and my thinking is going from "Oh god this run is going to kill me" to "Come on run, try to kick my butt!"
I still abhor running in the morning though :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
No real point to this post, other than that I'm hitting the point where I'm concerned about what goes into my body because of how it will provide my body with fuel to succeed at my workouts.
YES.
This is a great place to be in and a great way to think about it. =D

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I feel like Fatty McMooCow over here. Haven't lost any more weight. Super discouraged, and also extremely financially stressed since my roommate is unemployed and I'm feeding him too.

I wasn't doing full paleo but I was trying to cut as much grain and processed food as possible, and I was feeling so much better! Now I'm back to eating grain and processed food because, hey, guess what's SUPER CHEAP? Ugh.
When I am in a big money crunch, I tend to go all out on the eggs and sweet potatoes :eek: Might not be the best for me, but it is super super cheap, and it fills me up and holds me over until payday!

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Way to go, Laurelin!

Beanie, any suggestions for me? We can do about $40/week for food between the two of us right now, which is just over $2.85 per day, each. I don't consume meat, can't have much in the way of grains without getting sick. Cheese is generally closer to $4/8oz, though I do stock up when it's on sale for 2/$5. I eat a lot of potatoes, which isn't great. Don't like eggs unless they're in something. No pineapple, kiwi, or papaya. Wanting to stick as vegan as possible.

On good weeks we have a bit more for food, but that's what we have for sure every week.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Way to go, Laurelin!

Beanie, any suggestions for me? We can do about $40/week for food between the two of us right now, which is just over $2.85 per day, each. I don't consume meat, can't have much in the way of grains without getting sick. Cheese is generally closer to $4/8oz, though I do stock up when it's on sale for 2/$5. I eat a lot of potatoes, which isn't great. Don't like eggs unless they're in something. No pineapple, kiwi, or papaya. Wanting to stick as vegan as possible.

On good weeks we have a bit more for food, but that's what we have for sure every week.
I'd recommend seeking out a nutritionist to help you get your eating on track. Getting fit is more about the nutrition than the exercise (both are important but if you're not eating properly, you're not reaping the benefits of exercise).

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I'm well aware, but if I can't afford more than that for food every week, I sure as sh*t can't afford a nutritionist, lol.

If I had more money I know exactly how I'd eat, I'm just wondering if there's something obvious I'm not thinking of in terms of cheap, healthy meals.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Let me think on it some Julee. I've never eaten vegan, and vegan is pretty much the total opposite from primal or paleo (all the meats!!) so I'll mull it over some. My gut instinct is beans... not paleo or primal, but beans have a history of being a staple when people are tight on cash and should be nutritionally superior to some other alternatives...
Let me research some and I'll get back to you!

You said eggs are okay if in something, does that mean an omelet is okay, or is that something in eggs rather than vice versa and not okay? LOL.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
That'd be something in eggs, sorry! Hahaha. When I say "in something" I mean like, in bread or the like. I've had beans recommended to me a LOT, and I have a few things I like doing with them (three/four/six/twenty five billion bean salad, mmm), but I need to try some more recipes. Still haven't tried soup, I need to.

Dairy is okay, I just like to avoid it as much as possible, mostly because once I've had a little, I want a lot. :p

I wish produce wasn't so freaking expensive! It's a bit cheaper now that more things are in season, but this winter was absolutely brutal.

Also, Amanda, my previous post responding to you looks snarky to me now, I apologize. It's hot and I'm cranky.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
One more question, Julee - does the OH eat vegan too? Any allergies or sensitivities on his end?

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
No, he eats whatever... but he's super finicky. Don't worry about what he eats, trying new things really wigs him out right now.

Members online

No members online now.