Let the story speak for itself......

bogolove

Just a funny story....

Last night I took Brady to Jenny's (Jenny is the lab down the street he plays with for those of you who don't know) and Liz and I were going to walk them together. Well they did their usual wrestle in the front yard while we had them on their leashes trying to start the walk. Well the blue heeler from next door comes running over and then both of our big dogs see her and she stops dead in her tracks and takes off to her back yard. Well Jenny takes off after her and of course Brady follows. Pulling me through the wet grass. I have no grip whatsoever and I am sliding through the grass. Meanwhile Liz and Jenny have stopped and Brady runs right between them and I see I am going to trip over the leash. I can't stop. Liz sees and drops the leash. It was almost as if Brady and Jenny planned this b/c right then Jenny steps right in my way and I trip over this 90 pound dog and go flying through the air as Brady is STILL pulling me full force. I somehow was falling forward and land on my back (go figure) in a puddle of mud and I had to let go of the leash. Brady is chasing the bluee heeler, I am lying in mud laughing, Liz is curled in a ball on the ground laughing, and Jenny is scratching on the guys door and he lets her in thinking it is his dog, so Jenny is running around in his house. :rolleyes: I wish someone could have taped it so I could see the craziness going on. So we just let them off their leashes and they ran around with this dog for like 40 minutes playing. The guy next door said she had been abused previously (he works at a vet's office and he saved her) and he was glad to see her being so social with us and our dogs, so it turned out good, even though I had to go through a lot of mud for it. We went on our walk after that. We had to spray the dogs down after our walk to let them go inside.

What an adventure for all! I was sitting here laughing so hard while I was reading your story that both of my dogs came in & sat here giving me the most strange look! :) Glad to hear no injuries resulted & the dogs had a great time! And thank you so much for brighting up what had been a really dull, dreary day! By the way, I was laughing with you, not at you! ;)

ROFLMAO! I can give you a really good idea of EXACTLY where you would have ended up! My two were playing the other day and got carried away with charging each other and wrestling in mid-air. They jumped up in the air, crashed together, landed, still wrestling and running and hit me full-tilt-boogie. An aggregate total of at least 260 pounds of dog - with momentum, thank you. Literally knocked me right out of my shoes! It was muddy. It was wet. It was cold. I was irritated and laughing at the same time.

Bimmer charged up and chewed them out and wouldn't let either one come near me. Talk about a couple of sad looking girls.

Of course, they looked at each other and took off again . . . little Monsters.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Renee, your story brings back memories of when Max was about 90 lbs and knocked me backwards, luckily onto the dirt and not the cement patio. He was just standing 4 feet in front of me and leaped. I was in total shock. Now that Max is even heavier, I make sure where he is in the yard and stay close to the fence or walls so I won't go down again. Max is my first large breed dog, and I just fell in love with the Anatolians.

Oh, they think (particularly 'little' Kharma) that they're delicate little flowers of femininity! All I can say is they are quite feminine - especially with their wiles - ;)

Barb - you should see me brace myself when Shiva comes running toward me! 140+ pounds of pure exuberant affection that's much, much faster than other breeds of this size (I think it's the oversized rear-ends that give them the acceleration - necessary for hunting jaguar I'd guess!) . . . it really spikes the adrenal gland!

It's a good thing I'm 5'11" and spent all those years bodybuilding . . . :eek:

bogolove

Renee750il said:
Barb - you should see me brace myself when Shiva comes running toward me! 140+ pounds of pure exuberant affection that's much, much faster than other breeds of this size (I think it's the oversized rear-ends that give them the acceleration - necessary for hunting jaguar I'd guess!) . . . it really spikes the adrenal gland!

It's a good thing I'm 5'11" and spent all those years bodybuilding . . . :eek:

Just out of curiousity, where do Filas originate and what are they bred to do? They are so beautiful. I have never heard of them until I met you.

140 pounds! I can't imagine 140 pounds of loving dog on me! Brady tries to fit in my lap as it is, and that is hard enough. My husband's sister has a mastiff who LOVES females. He got in bed with me and my husband when we went to visit them in Boston and he snuggled his back up to me and used his four monster paws to literally push my hubby out of the bed. Seriously. LOL! It was so funny. And to think his sister used to date a guy who wasn't that crazy about dogs. Imagine. If you didn't like dogs the last person you should date is someone who has 130 pounds of one! Luckily she has found a great guy who loves all 130 pounds of her dog (and her!) and they are getting married next December.

They're from Brazil (Fila Brasileiro) and the original breed goes back over 400 years. Educated speculation says there is some ancient Portuguese molosser, along with Bloodhound back there in the ancestry, but the whole truth is lost somewhere back in the mists of time. They are fairly unique among the molossers, being herding dogs by instinct as well as guardians. Ojeriza, a marked distrust of strangers, is part of the breed, as is fearlessness and tenaciousness. They don't seem to feel pain as acutely as other dogs, and will instinctively relieve someone of anything they judge to be a weapon. On the other hand, they are the ultimate velcro dog. No one who doesn't want a dog that sticks right next to them 24-7 needs a Fila.

It's interesting that you noticed your sister-in-law's Mastiff loves females. That's a typical Mastiff trait. They're neat dogs, and most of the Mastiff breeds are much easier to live with in the house than small dogs. They're perfectly happy to be couch potatoes 85 percent of the time.

You might want to check out www.defenderfilas.com (that's where Kharma is from, out of Cagney and Gamble). www.molosserdogs.com is another great place to spend hours (and hours and hours) looking at all the "pretty little doggies" :rolleyes: I've lost many hours there.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Renee, I know what you mean. I happen to be 5'10" and try to work out some. My husband is into weight lifting (6'4" and big) so he can handle Max's running leaps better than I can.

What would my house be like without all this chaos, boring!

Happy Holidays

bogolove

Barb04 - What kind of dog is your Max, because I see some traits that Brady has in him. Brady has a similar tail, and body shape even though he is not as big, and something about the face on your max reminds me of Brady. Also, Brady is really long when he stands on his back two feet like the picture of Max on his back two feet. And then the picture of Max with your cat and the look on Max's face, he looks just like Brady when he makes that expression except Max is whiter. And Brady has these big paws with flecks of gold on the bottoms mixed with his white/light gold color. So just curious as to what type of dog Max is. Brady's mom looked like a lab mix, but she was black and only about 45 pounds. I never saw the dad, she just said he looked like a big golden retreiver. But Brady's ears and tail do not say golden retreiver.

Members online

No members online now.