corgis

my friend is thinking of getting a welsh corgi (or two). i'm glad cause these are my fav breed after greyhounds and basenjis. anyone here have one of these? he researched his stuff but would like feedback from someone experienced with them

Citrus007

Oh I forget who it is but a few people have corgis, otherwise i am so help but I am sure they know alot and will help you out. They are very cute dogs.

I have a 4 year old Pembroke, female named Chloe. I absolutely adore her....she's a character.:D

This is what I know about Corgi's:

They're EXTREMELY intelligent.

Chloe is extremely independent.

They love people & are great family dogs.

Chloe is very stubborn....she is a major alpha dog...and....always has been.

They respond much better to positive reinforcement rather then negative...they WILL try to outsmart you.

They need lot's of brushing and do shed quite a bit.....it takes me about 1 hour to bathe, dry and brush Chloe....she look's adorable afterwards and feels really good. They do need to be brushed several times a week. Chloe sheds really bad (AND I DO MEAN REALLY BAD) twice a year.

They're a great watch dog because they're see and hear everything....they're not typically agressive though.

They love to bark....are very communicative.

It's extremely important to keep them at a healthy weight because they tend to have back problems.

They do have a tendancy for some other health issues...you can check on the internet for those.

They need a moderate amount of exercise and love herding and agility.

They make great service dogs....I take Chloe to visit patient's in the hospital I work at....she love's it.

They are clowns.

They love to smile!!!:D

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Don't forget Joce!! She has one!

I have 2, 7 month old Corgis, Izzy and Frodo (see sig).

Anyways, ditto to pretty much everything Dena said. :)

They're EXTREMELY intelligent.
And they need their brains to be worked, or they can become destructive.

Chloe is extremely independent.
Izzy is very independent (it may be a female thing, but I'm not sure), but Frodo more of a velcro type dog, if I'm sitting on the floor, he is in my lap, every time!

They love people & are great family dogs.
Absolutely! My guys LOVE little kids, even though they don't live with little kids. Both of mine are what I would call "one person dogs", they are attached to me at the hip and prefer me over anybody else, but they also love attention from anyone and everyone that will give it to them.

Chloe is very stubborn....she is a major alpha dog
Most female corgis are alpha and they also tend to be more dog aggressive then the males. Izzy, at 7 months, rules the roost and is alpha to my 6 year old poodle mix, Mollie, and she does have some dominance issues. Frodo is completely submissive! I have never had a problem with him in this area.

They respond much better to positive reinforcement rather then negative
If anything other than positive reinforcement is used with Frodo, he shuts down. If I raise my voice to him he shuts down, he is very sensitive :eek: . I would strongly suggest clicker training for corgis, it has wonders for my guys.

they WILL try to outsmart you.
And no matter how hard you try, sometimes they will succeed...

They do need to be brushed several times a week. Chloe sheds really bad (AND I DO MEAN REALLY BAD) twice a year.
Yes!! It is uncontrolable, it gets everywhere! I can brush one for half an hour , then run my hand over them and it comes off just as bad as before I started.

They're a great watch dog because they're see and hear everything
They are very alert! My two spend most of their day standing by the screen door and barking at everything that does by, unfortunately.

They love to bark....are very communicative.
Do not get a corgi if you don't like to hear barking!!! If you live in town (as I do) make sure that you have extremely understanding neighbors (thank god I do). I swear Frodo and Izzy have complete conversations with each other, lol.

It's extremely important to keep them at a healthy weight because they tend to have back problems.
And they love food which doesn't help.

They do have a tendancy for some other health issues
Make sure if you go to a breeder that they test for hips (very important), as well as blood problems (which are common in corgis).

They need a moderate amount of exercise and love herding and agility.
They have to have an energy outlet and a job to do.

They make great service dogs
Both Izzy and Frodo are therapy dogs in training, and they LOVE IT!

They are clowns.
Some of the things they come up with is nuts! Izzy has learned that winking makes me laugh...yes, she winks. They put in shows and are natural performers, it makes not having cable TV tolerable, lol.

One major suggestion!! Only get ONE! Not two. If I could do one thing over again, I wouldn't have got two. Especially if its your first time owning the breed.

Hope that helps somewhat. :)

joce

they are giant pains in the butt!

the shedding is my biggest issue and thats jsut because no one ever mentioned it before I got one. They do best if given a job and some have some issues with being overweight(not my gizzy though:p )

And my girl never stopped chewing things. She is like seven and to this day will chew anything in her reach. And if there is a bone and a expensive shoe out you know she is going for the shoe!

joce said:
they are giant pains in the butt!

the shedding is my biggest issue and thats jsut because no one ever mentioned it before I got one. They do best if given a job and some have some issues with being overweight(not my gizzy though:p )

And my girl never stopped chewing things. She is like seven and to this day will chew anything in her reach. And if there is a bone and a expensive shoe out you know she is going for the shoe!
So true.....about the shedding. I did know that because I have friends who have Corgi's and had researched the breed for several years before I got one.

Chloe did chew alot when she was a pup but she never chews anything now.

PWCorgis is exactly right about "shutting down" with negative repremanding. Chloe is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stubborn....if I raise my voice or get angry with her, it only makes her behavior worse.

She is the funniest dog....she WILL NOT come to me if I call her. I have to say "let's go" or give her a treat to get her to come. She was even like that as a little puppy....she wouldn't come and when I'd reach out to pet her she would jump away...she's tease....still is!!!!!

I'm also not sure if I would want to have two Corgi's at one time....LOL I do have another dog (a Dachshund). I got him about a month after I got Chloe when she was 12 weeks old , so they grew up together. They're the best of friends, but she is the BOSS for sure!!;)

Oh..another thing I'd like to point out is they're a big dog in a littler body.;) They have no fear!!

nedim

Ive got a nearly 3 year old corgi

We don't call her "Midget Demon" for nothing

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Fozzie is half Corgi =D he absolutely inherited the Corgi personality, as well as the legs, and the ears.

I have 4 friends with Corgis, one of which has 3 Cardi's. I love this breed, they are awesome dogs! They're so funny and comical, all the time. They love to goof around, and they love to play games. This is a breed with loads of energy (as with any herding dog), and they're surprisingly fast with those tiny legs! At the same time, Fozzie is incredibly hard-headed and smart. It takes a leader with lots of training experience to live happily with a Corgi, I feel. Many of the Corgi's I know try to demand attention with barking, beyond barking for fun, and that needs to be corrected before yappiness becomes a habit. They're challenging dogs in quite a few aspects, but definitely fun to live with and very loyal, as long as you're dedicated to working with the pup.

Is you friend getting a Corgi from a breeder? If so, make sure the breeder checks hips & elbows of breeding stock, because they're very pre-disposed to dysplasia.

darci

Late to this thread, hope you guys dont mind that I chime in.
I have 2 corgi's.
Darci is 2 1/2 yr female and Egan 5 1/2 old male.
Shedding would be the biggest turn off for people, but mine dont shed any worse than my gsd did.
I vacuum furniture once a week and floors twice weekly and brush every other day. I would be better off if I brushed every day and made them stay off the couches. LOL

Neither one of mine are big barkers though, only at the mail man and to alert me when someone is in the drive way, now they will bark at each other occ. when they play but not to extreme.

They are very smart, I did find you have to stay one step ahead of them, and remain leader of the pack esp. with a bossy female like mine.

The are great family dogs and just love everyone.

Cheetah

Fluffy Corgi Addict
Err... this thread is halfway dead, but I'm going to revive it because I have a corgi too! I've got a "fluffy." His name is Shippo and he's 8 months old. >^^;<

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Shippo is ADORBALE! Are 'fluffy' corgis just another hair type? Are they accepted in the AKC? I'd love one of those, lol! My friend has a Corgi who they are breeding, but I don't know if I want one. She said I have 1st pick, but we'll see once we get here. I'm thinking I want something Non shedding...lol. :D

Cheetah

Fluffy Corgi Addict
Basically, if you breed two dogs together that have the submissive "fluffy" gene, you can get fluffies in the litter. The dogs can be completely normal-looking. When reputable breeders end up with fluffies, they are sold to pet homes with a spay-neuter contract because they are severaly faulted in the show ring. Here's a link to the "fluffy" page at the PWCCA. They probably explain it better. >^^;<

http://pwcca.org/Fluffy.html

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Aww, well she's adorable! I'm looking for one I can show, but If I ever want just a pet, I'll definately look into that! How CUTE! :) Thanks for the link. ;)

Members online

No members online now.