Should we be preparing for Zombies? This one might be an early sign...

Grab

From the picture I saw, I don't know how the victim will recover at all..there doesn't seem much hope of any salvageable face. There's just no skin there.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
No, it's not quite that black and white, but "as a general rule" we can safely assume that most...nearly all...pot that isn't laced with something (which is rare unto itself, but I digress) isn't going to cause someone to have a psychotic meltdown. So "as a general rule" cocaine is more dangerous than LSD to an individual user, but I wasn't only referring to the user themselves when speaking of the dangerousness of a drug. Like I said, spend a day in any town or neighborhood known for high violent crime rates and get an actual look at what's fueling it.
Alcohol.

I spend every day in an area with high crime and povety, the number one drug being used here currently is weed. Even over booze these days. I see the social impact excessive pot use has. Note excessive. Problem is, excessive pot use doesht seem to be as taboo as being alcohol dependent, but is just as problematic. I work with many chronic pot users.

Drug misuse is a social issue. Drug use isn't the devil, the society around it is. I know many (very professional) drug users.

joce

Sevensins I'm on my phone so can't quote you well. I never said bath salts and synthetic marijuana were the same thing. My guess is this guy was one one or the other. I have not heard of younger people using LSD but since you brought it up it DOES in fact cause hallucinations.

Seems to me older people talk about LSD and the forty and under crowd is wrapped up in synthetics. I have heard one person mention LSD in the last two years maybe? We are heavy on marijuana and cocaine and heroine. Lot of rx drug issues bu well see what happens with that after the Er stops writing.

I work in the field and deal with it everyday. I know what does and does not cause people to hallucinate.

People see no issue with these synthetics because it does no show up in a drug screen! Yeah but your probation officer can see you grabbing at bugs that are not there or catch you beating someone up. Good job! They fess up half the time anyway.

S

SevenSins

I have not heard of younger people using LSD but since you brought it up it DOES in fact cause hallucinations.
A hallucinogenic drug causes hallucinations?! You just made my day, ma'am.

I work in the field and deal with it everyday. I know what does and does not cause people to hallucinate.
Good, then you should also know that "hallucination" is an extremely broad spectrum, and that different drugs, psychological disorders, and trauma can cause completely different types of hallucinations. Case in point... LSD does not magically transport people into a completely different world, where voices in their heads tell them to ravage people and eat them (If that were the case, the zombie apocalypse would have happened in the 60's, and we wouldn't have had to start this thread ;)); it's a psychedelic drug that alters your perception of the real world around you (ETA, you don't see non-existent people or things, you perceive things that are actually around you in a different way), but you're typically consciously aware that it's happening.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I swore I saw a bobcat in my boyfriends bedroom my first yer of college when I tried mushrooms. The cooking network also extended out of the tv and into the living room. I never felt the urge to eat my boyfriends face, well... Not until I sobered up a few years later. ;)

Not LSD, I'm not that brave(stupid) but still finding it a hard pressed "it's okay to bite you're friends if you blame it on drugs" excuse.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I dunno, I have a very open mind but at a certain point when someone is literally eating someone else's face my mind snaps shut and says end this horror now. Maybe I am jaded but I have a low tolerance for certain grievances.

Sometimes you have to act.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
You don't have a very open mind about the validity of lethal force, it seems.
Slightly different from looking at a news story which is what I was referring too.

I don't doubt there are situations it may be needed, I do doubt that has been the case in all the times it is used, and I do believe there are alternatives to pulling a gun before thinking.

So shoot me. Ha!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
That is fair, we need balance in the world. I am however glad that the officer in this case thought differently.

Any word on the victim? I never saw, not sure I want to, a photo if the damage.

In Hypothetical Land, hardly anyone ever gets shot by the police because non-lethal force is almost always effective and everyone's judgement has the benefit of hindsight but beforehand AND they luxury of plenty of time to carefully weigh all options unemotionally before acting.

On the other hand, in Hypothetical Land no one goes nuts and chews off other people's faces, either. An action for which honestly I think you deservedly lose a little bit of consideration from others in how they weigh the options of how they are going to choose to deal with you.

joce

So a sane non drugged person walked up to someone and chewed on their face.

I guess we will go with they were really a zombie:cool:

You have no idea how someone will react to a drug. People have baked their infants in ovens and jumped from roofs. Give the same drug to ten people and one may have a reaction.

Maybe this guy did just wake up and decide to kill someone. Maybe he has been off his meds a long time. But I am really betting drugs with what I have seen recently. and no these people are not in reality at all and nothing brings them around.

LSD does bring on schiz type symptoms. Who knows what that person may have been seeing especially if they were already ill. You don't know. You say in one post doesn't cause issues and in the next that it does?! Any hallucination can make a person that may not usually have them go off. I still can't imagine a reason to eat someones face but people climb walls and try to claw out their eyes-thats not being in reality.

What I hear over and over is back in the 60s and 70s no one had to worry about things being laced or concentrations being wrong(we have had a lot of deaths here from the heroin being to strong/pure? apparently). Which is part of why I think people hear synthetic and thinks safe. There is so much talk about it here because so many people are dying but there are no good treatment facilities. Ins doesn't pay.

Apparently when the new DSM comes out there is going to be a new category of drug induced bipolar if it makes it in time. I think its the same with schiz but there been more studies with bipolar.

Oh look-another hospital worker who deals with these people everyday being violent like this saying bath salts. though I still think it could be the synthetic marijuana just as easily.
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/a...e-caused-by-excited-delirium-say-miami-police

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Ok, pot (straight marijuana) is NOTHING compared to Meth. Its simple science. If you are comparing crime statistics between totally different places the most common type of drug is NOT the only difference by a long shot.
This. I suspect the crime rate difference has more to do the the gangs that run the sale and distribution of the pot rather than the pot itself.

Romy

Taxiderpy
The worst part is that once the media attention dies down, it's unlikely that the victim would receive the continuing care he would need. I've seen the hospital photo... there is no face left. A single eyeball and a chin. That's it. Dude would need a full facial transplant and continued therapy for a prolonged period to have any hope of a decent recovery. I would have no doubt that he's currently praying for death. :(

Patient zero!
Being a homeless guy, if there wasn't all this media attention I don't think he'd receive a fraction of the support he's going to need. Yes, it's a long hard road ahead for him but I don't presume to know whether or not somebody else wants to die. With any major loss of function, someone is going to experience significant depression as they adjust. And it's extremely important that they are supported by people as they make that adjustment.

That said, there are prosthetics. There are face transplants. If anybody was going to get one, it'd be somebody high profile like him. Even though he has nothing, I'm willing to bet plenty of folks would donate $$ for his surgeries and care, or that there's a medical institution/doctor somewhere who will work on him at cost or pro bono.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I did read through the whole thread, however, I can't really join in on half of the debate seeing as I'm not too knowledgable about drugs and such. On the other hand though, I definitely agree with the police officer shooting the man. My science teacher told us about this in class and my face looked pretty much like this :yikes: :eek: for five straight minutes.. I just immediately thought of the Hannibal Lector movie.

Hopefully the man gets the financial, and emotional support he needs, although yes, it'll be a very long road ahead.

Dreeza

ugh, not sure if this has been mentioned yet...I really cannot read through this thread without getting sick...

But apparently what happens with 'bath salts' is that your body overheats (hence the nakedness)....and the bullets that cops use typically stop people due to the heat reaction that is caused when someone gets shot...not the wound itself. But since these people are SO hot already, it just doesn't cause that 'shock' & therefore does not stop them. I thought that was interesting...

And I fully support the cop's shooting...

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
No, it's not quite that black and white, but "as a general rule" we can safely assume that most...nearly all...pot that isn't laced with something (which is rare unto itself, but I digress) isn't going to cause someone to have a psychotic meltdown. So "as a general rule" cocaine is more dangerous than LSD to an individual user, but I wasn't only referring to the user themselves when speaking of the dangerousness of a drug. Like I said, spend a day in any town or neighborhood known for high violent crime rates and get an actual look at what's fueling it.
sorry, but where are you that pot is 'generally laced' in the first place?

i seriously think people think this is just a normal occurrence, when it isn't.

or was that just worded strangely?

as for this guy, this isn't typical of an LSD trip, i think most knowledgeable people know that. he sounds like he was on a dissociative, without knowing anything about him. i highly doubt they will find that he was just on some acid. mephedrone or PCP, something of the like, sounds MUCH more plausible.

Wow, Seven! If most of the pot in your area is laced with stuff, maybe the potheads in your neck of the woods need to find better suppliers.

Or is it that it's some of the hyper THC clonal stuff?

S

SevenSins

You both misinterpreted my post. I said... "as a general rule we can safely assume that most...nearly all...pot that isn't laced with something (which is rare unto itself [...])" I suppose I can see how that was misinterpreted. What I meant was that pot BEING laced was something which was rare unto itself. People don't "lace" pot unless you're specifically asking, and paying, for pot laced with something. Clear as mud?

Brattina88

The longtime girlfriend of Rudy Eugene, the man accused of eating another man’s face over the weekend along side a Miami causeway, says that her boyfriend had something supernatural happen to him that day.

According to a Miami Herald.com report, the girlfriend, who does not want to be identified, told a Herald reporter that the acts committed by her boyfriend defy explanation.

The Miami Herald.com report states; “She believes Eugene was drugged unknowingly. The only other explanation, she said, was supernatural — that someone put a Vodou curse on him. The girlfriend, who unlike Eugene is not Haitian, said she has never believed in Vodou, until now.”

Eugene’s girlfriend says that he never acted violently against her and she does not want her boyfriend to be remembered as a crazed killer.
“Something happened out of the ordinary that day,” the girlfriend told the Miami Herald. “I don’t want him to be labeled the Miami Zombie. He was a person. I don’t want him to go down like that.”

http://fox8.com/2012/05/31/girlfriend-says-flesh-eating-man-either-drugged-or-under-vodou-curse/
:p niiice

Members online

No members online now.