DHPP vaccine question

Unshifted

My dog is getting his DHPP vaccine tonight and I'm so worried that he's going to have a reaction or something like that. Is there anything I can do to prevent him from having a reaction/side effects?

I got him his rabies shot a month ago because the idea of giving him his shots at the same time worries me. But now he's due for his DHPP and I'm worried about him getting 4 vaccines at one time =/

Any advice?

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
There is always a chance for a reaction, but less than if you gave a DHLPPC (adding Lepto and Corona to the mix). DHPP/DA2PP is the most common combo vaccine, and can be difficult to find as separate vaccines because most vets won't/don't carry them.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
You could give him 1 benadryl this afternoon and one right before his visit.
Continue for a couple days after too.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Benadryl would work, just let the vet know you've given him some.

General dosage is 1 mg/kg.

RawFedDogs

If he is not a new puppy and has already had all his puppy shots, you could (and should) just not give him anymore shots other than the legally required rabies shot. He won't loose his immunity.

Dr.Marie

I very rarely see a reaction to the DHPP vaccine. Your vet can advise you on giving some benadryl. Sometimes, if I am concerned about a reaction I will give an injection of benadryl along with the vaccine.

Members online

No members online now.